Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tensioner access?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner access?

My 00 SI has some slack on one side of the timing belt and I'm wondering how I can tighten it up. From what I know, I have to loosen the tensioner and crank it over counter clockwise until theres no slack.

My problem is, how do I get access to the tensioner without removing all the other pulleys and belts to get that plastic cover off. I don't wanna play shot in the dark and stick a 14mm open-end wrench down there hoping I can loosen it.

Other than that, I may have no choice but to pull everything off just to loosen the tensioner just to tighten up some slack. Any advice?
Old 11-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tensioner access? (Lost Type R)

anyone?

bump for the night crew
Old 11-10-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Tensioner access? (Lost Type R)

yes, there is a small tab (made of black rubber/plastic) right below the drivers side mount bracket. pull that off, and have a regular socket 14mm handy...loosen it, move the intake cam (clockwise), then when the exhaust side is tight, tighten the tensioner. DO NOT CRANK THE MOTOR WHEN THE TENSIONER IS LOOSE.
ohh and remove the valve cover..(my bad)
good luck.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tensioner access? (Slow_Em1)

got any pics?? lol
Old 11-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Tensioner access? (SeanJohn1802)

You should read the belt tensioning section of the manual. Until you read and understand what they're saying, I wouldn't touch the tensioner.

What you do, is loosen the tensioner and let the built in spring supply the proper tension, you're not actually tightening anything. If that doesn't set the right tension, you might need to replace the spring.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_Em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, there is a small tab (made of black rubber/plastic) right below the drivers side mount bracket. pull that off, and have a regular socket 14mm handy...loosen it, move the intake cam (clockwise), then when the exhaust side is tight, tighten the tensioner. DO NOT CRANK THE MOTOR WHEN THE TENSIONER IS LOOSE.
good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How come the Helms manual tells you to loosen the tensioner 180 degrees, and turn the crankshaft 3 teeth counter-clockwise, and then tighten the tensioner? I just replaced my timing belt last night, and that's how I tightened it.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_Em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, there is a small tab (made of black rubber/plastic) right below the drivers side mount bracket. pull that off, and have a regular socket 14mm handy...loosen it, move the intake cam (clockwise), then when the exhaust side is tight, tighten the tensioner. DO NOT CRANK THE MOTOR WHEN THE TENSIONER IS LOOSE.
good luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I stopped reading this advice after the bolded part - you always rotate the engine in the direction that it spins - ALWAYS.

'******' has posted the correct way of tensioning up the t-belt.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Tensioner access? (EE_Chris)

I wasn't going to go into detail, he really needs to read the manual before he does it. Get the belt tension wrong and you might end up buying a head rebuild if the belt slips.

Snatches procedure while close ISN'T what the manual states. You're supposed to rotate the whole engine several turns counter-clockwise THEN do the 3 teeth thing.

Read the manual.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tensioner access? (MasterKwan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MasterKwan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wasn't going to go into detail, he really needs to read the manual before he does it. Get the belt tension wrong and you might end up buying a head rebuild if the belt slips.

Snatches procedure while close ISN'T what the manual states. You're supposed to rotate the whole engine several turns counter-clockwise THEN do the 3 teeth thing.

Read the manual.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are more correct than I, sir. Very true - the crank needs to be turned a few times for the belt to 'seat' before actually tightening the tensioner.

But one thing is for DAMN sure - don't rotate the engine clockwise as was suggested earlier.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tensioner access? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MasterKwan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wasn't going to go into detail, he really needs to read the manual before he does it. Get the belt tension wrong and you might end up buying a head rebuild if the belt slips.

Read the manual.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, the crank should be turned counter-clockwise 5-6 times, then tension the belt. Sorry for that omission. At least I got it going the right direction