Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Temperature goes up when driving uphill

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature goes up when driving uphill

I was just wondering if anyone can chime in and let me know what's wrong with my car. Basically it's a stock EJ1 1.5l motor with auto transmission.

Probably has something to do with the sudden heat wave, but I noticed that when I drive a long uphill road/freeway my engine temperature goes up. Not all the way, just to 3/4 up and goes back to normal (just a little below half) when I'm driving on level ground.

Seems that it only does it while driving up an incline. It doesn't go up sitting in traffic or idle at a stoplight. The fan does kick in and works. All of the components that relate to the cooling system are all about a year old on the vehicle (radiator, thermostat, hoses, coolant, fan, clamps and sensors). The radiator is still full of the proper coolant mixture and the reservoir is still holding about halfway full of coolant.

Relevant conditions that might need to be addressed is that the auto tranny fluid was also recently changed. When I get under the vehicle, it seems to have a slight leak at the two little spigots that connect for the auto tranny. Not enough to see fluid on the ground, but I do see it coming from the hose when I look under the vehicle. Still using the existing transmission that came with the vehicle back in 93. And the radiator I'm using is one of those all aluminum eBay radiators (no name brand).

If anybody has any insight or can share their opinions on what I can do to alleviate this problem, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Temperature goes up when driving uphill

your just putting a load on your motor and trans, and as such its causing more heat. As long as it stays within operable temperature you should be fine. If your still worried about it then try adding a little water wetter, and getting a colder t-stat.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How could I tell about getting a colder thermostat? The one I'm using now is OEM from the dealer.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Trial User

Im having the same issue with my F22B1 in my 94' Accord, and i just got a brand new radiator put in. Going to try changing the thermostat, hope that solves the issue.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I sweat when I ride my bike uphill but I get cold when I coast down the other side.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it gets too hot then time to lower gears so u dont fry ur motor or trans. just drop from d to the lower one. and yea might want to do a radiator flush and thermostat
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm if you lower it from Drive to 2nd thats going to put it in the same gear im sure the trans is in anyways while it is going in up hill so how would that burn out the motor? Depending on grade of the hill will say what gear it needs to be in...

You could always CLR the rad and see if that helps and its what like 4 bucks.. (removed from car)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Coolant not circulating properly, could be thermostat, (do both hoses feel hot/warm when at operating temp)could be the water pump (are drops of coolant coming out of the weep hole on the water pump) maybe (like in my case) the radiator is clogged.
and yes it only got hot very hot on the temp gauge when going uphill. BTW even new parts come defective or become defective shortly afterwards.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
umm if you lower it from Drive to 2nd thats going to put it in the same gear im sure the trans is in anyways while it is going in up hill so how would that burn out the motor? Depending on grade of the hill will say what gear it needs to be in...

You could always CLR the rad and see if that helps and its what like 4 bucks.. (removed from car)
i guess u have never towed before. on hills if the motor is trying to hard u down shift one gear so it doesnt try too hard and blow the trans or motor with all the stress. try driving a stick 50 mph on a steep hill and you will see that you have to downshift. common sense but some people dont get it
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also check to see if your fan is working properly.

First, check to see if the fan comes on at all when the motor warms up.
If it doesnt, check the connection of the plug, then check the fuse, then check to see if the plug is getting power if you have a multimeter, etc.

A friend of mine just replaced his fan in his Jeep, then realized after that his fuse had just blown.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH...rmostat_RM.jpg

look on the bottom of the thermostat it will have the temp on it autozone and similar stores might carry diff temps

just ask to c them and look at the thermos for different d series motors d16 and d15s

i think the one in my car is 80 deg c