Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Its not for rent locally but there's an online tool rental site. It was started by a member on team-integra and has been running for couple yrs now. People even rent out an s300 obd1 ecu
Wow. I had no idea about this.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Called it a day at 6:30 pm. Packed up my **** and put away the old motor and hoist.

Red topped D16Z6 is in with a new MAHLE fuel filter, just need to put in the axles, the rear transmission mount and start torquing everything down. Tighten up a couple of hoses, do up the exhaust header and A pipe and swap the ECU. Then add fluids and burp her and she's good to go.

All the plugs are connected, no CEL's. Pump primed, alarm activated. Just about there. Not too shabby for working alone, lots of interruptions and my first go pulling and putting in the motor and tranny. Got about 16 hours in I figure, maybe a little less with as many conversations that happen with other residents of the building.

As can be seen in the photo, the worst looking thing on my car is my peeling partially sanded front bumper. heh.

Name:  IMG_20160730_182409.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  513.8 KB

As a bonus with this motor, all the old rubber coolant hoses pf the old motor are changed over to the 4 ply silicone hoses of this new motor, as well as I am getting the all aluminum radiator to boot.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I love my silicon hose kits.

Good job with the car but I really strongly dislike clear tail lights and the headlights. It's just not my taste, I like seeing a stock looking hondas partially because you don't see many these days.

What I would really like to see done is remove the outer factory tail light lenses, and remove the clear tail light housings, and put the led guts behind the factory red and amber housings. Make it look factory like the car came with them

And for my honda I ordered a set of red hoses for my next project car
Old 07-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Wow. I had no idea about this.
Automotive Specialty Tool - Home

Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 PM
Fish Twig

I'll be looking into creating a slim fan shroud for both my condenser and radiator

DIY Aluminium Slim Fan Shroud Ver.2.0 - D-series.org
Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew!..on a Triple Digit Weekend (100 degrees plus)
- Replaced Oil pan gasket
-Replaced Valve Cover and Grommets (Again...stupid oil on plugs), and did it as SHOWN on Youtube and DIYs on this forum.
- Replaced WHITE front turn signal bulbs with ORANGE bulbs(Clear Housing).
- Replaced Spark Plugs (NGK Platinum)
- Replaced Driver-Side Outer Tie Rod
- Oil Change
- Filled her up with gas and threw some Lucas Gas Treatment in!
- Replaced Spark Plug Wires (For FREE under Warranty)

My Civic started up kinda odd this morning...bogging down. I didn't understand it. I drove it down the road, the bogging went away, but I went to O' Reilly's to get Spark Plug Wires just in case it came back...or was that just the oil trying to get to where it belongs after the oil change and pan gasket replacement?
Old 07-31-2016, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did my 99-00 climate control conversion last month. As preventative maintenance, i ordered a Spectre heater core from RockAuto, and installed it. Well, it started leaking already.

So today, i decided to bypass the heater core until i see if the part had a warranty or not. If it does it'll remain bypassed until the replacement arrives, if not, ill pick one up from oreilly or Advance and put it in next week
Old 07-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Fish Twig

Dam, that's a pain to get to.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3hrs start to finish. No biggie. Just not something i wanna do twice. Personal cars don't pay a well, lol
Old 07-31-2016, 08:56 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Good job with the car but I really strongly dislike clear tail lights and the headlights. It's just not my taste, I like seeing a stock looking hondas partially because you don't see many these days.
In my area, the 92-95 hatchback is still spotted all over the place in varying degrees of condition but all still on the road. Almost a dime a dozen up here. The lights actually make my car stand out significantly and not look like just another red hatch floating around my neighborhood. I really like them myself but totally understand those who do not. Now need to get my body work all cleaned up and painted so the finished lights aren't the shiniest part of the car.

Anyways, today I finished putting everything back together, torquing all the major nuts on the suspension, mounts, axles, exhaust header and A pipe. Swapped the ECU, put fluids in and took her out back and burped her. Waited for 3 fans, grabbed my wife and went out for 1.5 hour trek. Think I'm going to have to set idle, ECU is trying to relearn idle but seems it might be a bit low as it's kinda lopey and I did have one time at the very end of my drive at a light that I had a bit of surging. Will have to monitor that too.

Must say though, I like the follow through of vtec over the non-vtec D15B7 which always felt like premature ejaculation. The thing just keeps climbing nicely through the whole RPM range right to red line.

Did learn the tranny that came with this has a weak 3rd gear. A little crunchy at times. If I'm gentle it goes into gear no issue. I'll get some Xado gear box additive and see if I can bring it back some for extending the life. I tend to shift from 5th to 3rd a lot and now I'll have to be careful with that.

I figure total time spent was about 20 hours after deducting all the chatting time in the basement on Friday and Saturday. Today was quiet down there so I could just put in a nice solid 4 hours getting everything all dialed in. Axles didn't actually give me that hard of a time this time around so that was nice. Now I get to watch for leaks.

Other than that, the car is fun to drive. I can totally understand the huge appreciation of vtec now that I get to drive one.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ2_24
Finally got my Cruise Control fixed! It was more work than it was worth, but I was just determined to win! Super glad its finally done. Now moving on to fixing oil leaks, sway bar bushings, and ecu.
Awesome!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it wasnt today, but last weekend i finally had a chance to work on my new del sol S. i did the oil and filter, which wasn't too bad except it was last handled by a shop so they had that drain plug ******* tight. i did the air filter and just checked everything over for wear and tear. next weekend i'm doing spark plugs, wires, distributor and cap, brake pads and cleaning the car. my car is far from pretty but it'll run great.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had to grab new carpet for my sedan, friend mentioned there was one in the local PNP, so i went by after work and it was a 96 sedan, hit in the front, 146k, really clean car. I yanked the carpet, trunk carpet, carpet of the rear, and 1 floor mat for $14!

Power washed the carpets at the car wash and left em out to dry. Still had a stubborn lil stain so i ran by the parts store abs got some cleaner and a scrub brush to try and get it out.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's a good deal on carpet. i think the last time i grabbed a cabin carpet was around a $25 buy.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I looked it up before i went, i was surprised it's only 9.99.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Fish Twig

I also went to the local PAP and found me a ex header for my d-series. Looks like I'll be able to get rid of that piece of **** Megan header.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced my battery ground wire,

Need to tie down that lawn mower battery...
Old 08-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Fish Twig

ordered new gaskets, studs and nuts for the header. sand down rust and I'm currently prepping it for exhaust black paint.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Hysterically Calm

I popped the IACV off the IM, cleaned it out with throttle body cleaner (without unhooking coolant hoses, let dry. Put a very light coating of "The Right Stuff" on the figure 8 o-ring gasket and put it back on the IM.

Then started her up and checked over every hose and part on the IM and the Fuel Rail for vacuum leaks, none found. Then took it over to our church that has an inclined parking lot and burped her again. Nose elevated, cap off, heater on max heat, waited for 4 fans cycles to happen. Got several pockets of bubbles out. Will probably do it again in a couple of days. If the same results, I will go rent a block tester.,
Old 08-08-2016, 06:16 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulled a front sway bar from LKQ, wire wheeled it, painted, and installed it, still waiting on some money to fix my newly built GSR transmission's stripped out mounting holes before I install it. Did a little ricey thing by installing some purple LEDs behind the eyebrows of my headlights and wiring them to a switch in the car. Whatever, don't judge. I like them lol. You can't see them when they aren't lit up, but when I turn them on, they reflect off the...uh, reflector...and...um...look purple and stuff. +5 hp each.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced my spark plugs and tail lamps. Tried desperately to get to the wires to do a check on the check engine light that's been giving me fits for weeks, but I couldn't get a screw holding the glove compartment undone.

Thank you to the wiring dude who decided to tape everything up back there, super awesome job.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ordered a CometicPro2000T top end head kit and PIC Suja 1 bushing kit for the Del Sol. Now to get all those old factory bushings out..
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
Whew!..on a Triple Digit Weekend (100 degrees plus)
- Replaced Oil pan gasket
-Replaced Valve Cover and Grommets (Again...stupid oil on plugs), and did it as SHOWN on Youtube and DIYs on this forum.
- Replaced WHITE front turn signal bulbs with ORANGE bulbs(Clear Housing).
- Replaced Spark Plugs (NGK Platinum)
- Replaced Driver-Side Outer Tie Rod
- Oil Change
- Filled her up with gas and threw some Lucas Gas Treatment in!
- Replaced Spark Plug Wires (For FREE under Warranty)

My Civic started up kinda odd this morning...bogging down. I didn't understand it. I drove it down the road, the bogging went away, but I went to O' Reilly's to get Spark Plug Wires just in case it came back...or was that just the oil trying to get to where it belongs after the oil change and pan gasket replacement?
Platinum and iridium will give you better gas mileage but you will notice a power loss. The arc in the iridium plugs isn't as wide as a copper plug. I run copper in all of my cars and trucks when available. My favorite gas mileage combo was ngk iridiums, 93 octane gas, and 6 ounces of marvel mystery oil in the gas tank

And Tomcat, vtec is a nice little bump in the power band. It isn't a ton but you can feel the difference when it's not there.

Also burping the system isn't as advanced as the manual makes it out to be. With the heater on max with the hood open even here in Texas it almost can't get to operating temperature because the heater core is acting like a radiator. Usually I just make sure the heat is on and leave the interior fan off
Old 08-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Driver side.
put UCA/LCA back in.
ended up having to cut the outer the tie rod off, as well as the endlink.
Replaced both inner/outer tie rods.
ASR Adjustable endlinks.
Put the knuckle back in.

Wish I had more time to actually work on the damn thing.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Platinum and iridium will give you better gas mileage but you will notice a power loss. The arc in the iridium plugs isn't as wide as a copper plug. I run copper in all of my cars and trucks when available. My favorite gas mileage combo was ngk iridiums, 93 octane gas, and 6 ounces of marvel mystery oil in the gas tank

And Tomcat, vtec is a nice little bump in the power band. It isn't a ton but you can feel the difference when it's not there.

Also burping the system isn't as advanced as the manual makes it out to be. With the heater on max with the hood open even here in Texas it almost can't get to operating temperature because the heater core is acting like a radiator. Usually I just make sure the heat is on and leave the interior fan off
HX models didn't come with vtec....all you have is the vtec-e which just engages the 2nd intake valve.

Whats your mpg? I get around 47mpg with all these inclines and declines in Tx.

Quick Reply: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today