Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/T not shifting right

Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/T not shifting right

This just started happening the other day and was wondering if anyone new what to check. This is on my 1999 Civic Hatch with a automatic transmission. It has a cold air intake and exhaust on it.

The problem that I am having is that when driving it around town or on the highway it is waiting to shift. For example, before the normal shift points where 25 then 35 or 40 and so on. Now the shift points are around 35 then 45 or 55. These are just examples of what the transmission is doing. Basically it is waiting to shift after the motor has reached a high RPM. Not sure what would cause this. If you get the RPM's high enough and let of the clutch it will shift but they still need to be very high.

It has some CEL but not sure about some of the sensor locations or if they are related. I got 3 codes and one I am not sure if it is right

Code #1 = 13 - Automospheric sensor? couldn't find it in the manaul
Code #2 = 41 - oxygen sensor? I know where they are but not sure about this one either
Code #3 = 70 or 7 ~ not sure at all. Mystrery code or throtle position sensor?

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/T not shifting right

Check your fluids, replace your O2, car is probably in limp mode, may have an impact on the trans points.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fluids are good. They were replaced last summer. And I checked them when the problem started happening still clean no discoloration adn no metal shavings or other contaminations in the fluid.

I am not familar with Limp mode on a Honda but will look into it.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine does kinda the same thing.
i found out that you have to replace you upper linear solenoid on your transmition and once its replaced then give it a full tranny flush.

BUT some cars just need to get a full tranny flush and they will be working like normal.

its number 32 in this pic
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ISSION+HOUSING
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Looking at the diagram it is hard to see where it is located at do you have abetter picture of where to find it. if it is just a soleniod that will be easy to replace.

Thanks for all the help
Old 04-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well its on the outside of the transmition housing..
in the front facing the bumper.
i made a thread about this. let me try to find it...
ahh. here we go.
read all of it. its really helpfull
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/p0700-p0715-y8-2509530/
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a very helpfull pic on the last page.
i still havent fixed my tranny cuz im going to go b series. so i see no need in fixing it
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you go b series you are gonan need to convert to 5 spd. you know that right? Automatic swaps havent really been perfected lol, and they are pretty useless.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
if you go b series you are gonan need to convert to 5 spd. you know that right? Automatic swaps havent really been perfected lol, and they are pretty useless.
yup i know.
that is why i have been researching that as well.
im still trying to get all 3 pedals and the clutch lines from a totalled/ parted out car.
seems like every1 is charging a leg for it
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Unseen Racer
yup i know.
that is why i have been researching that as well.
im still trying to get all 3 pedals and the clutch lines from a totalled/ parted out car.
i have a clutch pedal, and the little sensor thing. I used the brake pedal for my car though. ALthough you can drive it with the auto pedal. I did it for like a month at least. As long as your not a tard you wont hit the brakes lol (i only did one time, the first time i was driving).
Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a clutch pedal, and the little sensor thing. I used the brake pedal for my car though. ALthough you can drive it with the auto pedal. I did it for like a month at least. As long as your not a tard you wont hit the brakes lol (i only did one time, the first time i was driving).
lol. i know. i can just add the clutch pedal. but i dont want a long a$$ brake pedal that i can accidently step on when i shouldnt. so im swapping all of them out.
does you clutch pedal also have the firewall "mount" where you connect it to the firewall.
like a plate???
Old 04-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol. i know. i can just add the clutch pedal. but i dont want a long a$$ brake pedal that i can accidently step on when i shouldnt. so im swapping all of them out.
does you clutch pedal also have the firewall "mount" where you connect it to the firewall.
like a plate???
ya but i dont have the master cyl. You should get that @ the junk yard. I got mine for $5 and the pedal for $8. But thats like after giong 100 times i finally actually found a pedal that wasnt rusted out lol.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya but i dont have the master cyl. You should get that @ the junk yard. I got mine for $5 and the pedal for $8. But thats like after giong 100 times i finally actually found a pedal that wasnt rusted out lol.
i know. i plan on getting a new CMC. but im not sure if the Eg and EK clutch pedals are the same. since EVERY junk yard i go to does NOT have any Eks.

EDIT: oh **** man! we are thread jacking! lol. and its getting out of topic.
BACK TO TOPIC
well yea OP, there is a pic on the last page of the thread i posted on here.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy thread jack Batman!!! LMAO

So to of the codes are related to each other? Am I understanding that right.

Looking at the pictures I know where they are. I am still wondering what would cause it to lokc up like that. I may disassemble it and see what is in it. All it should be is a magnet but we will see.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol. sorry for thread jacking. but its back to its original topic.
im not sure if the codes are related since you didnt post the entire code. which is a 4 numbers and 1 letter. usually P.
this helped me out ALOT and still does.
i would save it to your comp and print it out
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/obd-ii-complete-codes-your-obd-ii-reader-linked-386689/
get the entire code and see what it is.
and all "p0700" codes are related since they are all transmition related
Old 04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he posted a different code, he posted the one u get when jumping CEL, instead of the one u get from a scanner.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes those are the codes from the CEL. Unfortunately I never purchased a scanner from the Snap On Man when I was working in a garage. If I could only trade one of those fool clock I have for a scanner. LOL Where is the Snap On Man when you need one?

Maybe I will ask Santa to Bring me one early this year. LOL

Will the ones they use at a parts store give me the actual code? I will see later tonight and post what I find.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 AM

I see what you did there. Three pedals, one leg, o shi!
I've seen you post around a lot, and if you run into any weird stuff while doing the transmission conversion feel free to contact me. I've done this in my 96 Civic EX.

Also I have a clutch pedal that a del sol used installed on my car, so at least that part interchanges. Not sure if it works on 92-95 Civics though.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:09 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP: Definitely check primary O2. Your car will not run right with that code.

DO NOT flush the transmission. DO NOT flush the transmission EVER on a Honda. Honda specifically released a service bulletin saying never to flush ANY Honda automatic transmission. Flushing has been known to make previously good Honda autos go bad very quickly because of all the sediment stirred up. If you want to flush, drain and fill it several times instead.

When you replaced the fluid, what did you use? Genuine Honda ATF? I'm asking because I had lots of problems with my CRV hard shifting because someone used some other brand and overfilled it. The CRV does NOT like to shift right with any fluid other than Honda. It also shifts very bad if it's even a little bit over or underfilled. Check your ATF level, drain and fill with Honda ATF, and maybe change the filter.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Davus
I see what you did there. Three pedals, one leg, o shi!
I've seen you post around a lot, and if you run into any weird stuff while doing the transmission conversion feel free to contact me. I've done this in my 96 Civic EX.

Also I have a clutch pedal that a del sol used installed on my car, so at least that part interchanges. Not sure if it works on 92-95 Civics though.
ya for civic, and del-sol the pedals are the same. not sure about the tegs, but they might be. But 92-00 has the same pedals.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
OP: Definitely check primary O2. Your car will not run right with that code.

DO NOT flush the transmission. DO NOT flush the transmission EVER on a Honda. Honda specifically released a service bulletin saying never to flush ANY Honda automatic transmission. Flushing has been known to make previously good Honda autos go bad very quickly because of all the sediment stirred up. If you want to flush, drain and fill it several times instead.

When you replaced the fluid, what did you use? Genuine Honda ATF? I'm asking because I had lots of problems with my CRV hard shifting because someone used some other brand and overfilled it. The CRV does NOT like to shift right with any fluid other than Honda. It also shifts very bad if it's even a little bit over or underfilled. Check your ATF level, drain and fill with Honda ATF, and maybe change the filter.
WTF?!?!?! are you freaking high?!?!?!
dont listen to this guy. even HONDA states that if your transmition is "hard shifting" (when it shifts hard or takes a while to shift when it should have already)
take it to your local honda dealer so they can use HONDA ATF.
i had mines flushed yesterday and OMG! smooth like butter now! but im sure that will go away once the DAMN linear solenoid starts acting up again.

the BOLD lettering is also a very good idea as well
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WTF?!?!?! are you freaking high?!?!?!
dont listen to this guy. even HONDA states that if your transmition is "hard shifting" (when it shifts hard or takes a while to shift when it should have already)
take it to your local honda dealer so they can use HONDA ATF.
i had mines flushed yesterday and OMG! smooth like butter now! but im sure that will go away once the DAMN linear solenoid starts acting up again.

the BOLD lettering is also a very good idea as well
9000 is right. honda doesnt want you to flush any of their automatic trannies. the D series trannys have always been **** out of the box.

Limp mode would give you 1st and 2nd gears only. your O2 is the biggest suspect because when the car has a cold start it'll idle high and have higher shift points to heat the engine up faster. now with the O2 not telling the computer to lean out the mixture because its warming up, your points will be at the points where they would be on a cold start. im sure your temp guage reads normal but that doesnt mean the computer knows that
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The trans mission is shifting in up to 3 gear. It is acting like it is stuck in permanant passing gear.

It is not idling high from what I can tell. It sounds normal to me.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so your tranny doesnt shift to 4th?
if it doesnt, try this.
drive and when its stuck on 3rd, put it in neutral and let it roll for about 3 senconds then put it back to 4th. thats what i do to mine and it goes to 4th.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the code that the scanner pulled up if this will help. It is a P0730 code "Inaccurate gear ratio". Not sure what that means It was something about the gear ratio was off.

You can get it to shift by putting it into neutral and back into drive. But I am trying to find out what is wrong to get it fixed.

Last edited by LLPappa; 04-25-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/T not shifting right