Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

t belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t belt questions

hey there,
I have a 97 civic dx with a d16y7 motor all stock. recently threw a timing bet while on the highway. bent 8 valves so the motor was no longer running. I revalved the head with all new valves and threw a new timing belt on it. Got it all back up and running to pretty good not as good as it was before the belt broke. THe car feels really sluggish and the reason im writing this is becuase there is a really loud whine coming from the timing belt, most heard off idle anywhere from 800 rpm and up. I replaced the timing belt tensioner as well as the water pump, suspecting the bearings may have gone bad. however the problem still exists. I have re tensioned the belt numerous times and i know nothing is rubbing inside the cover and i also know its not the alternator making the whine. Anyone who has had this problem and any advice would be geatly appreciated. Also sometimes at idle the timing belt will vibrate between the water pump and the cam sprocket. In my experience as a tech this is becuase the belt is too tight. However i have loosened it and tightened it numberous times wiht no luck.any one with any input would be great thank you
Old 08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: t belt questions

possible you even bent some of the other 8 valves u didn't replace. even a slight bend can make a big difference in compression. do a leak down or compression test
Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you sdjust timming via the manual or did you force the tensoner to tighten the belt
Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bmxking192
hey there,
I have a 97 civic dx with a d16y7 motor all stock. recently threw a timing bet while on the highway. bent 8 valves so the motor was no longer running. I revalved the head with all new valves and threw a new timing belt on it. Got it all back up and running to pretty good not as good as it was before the belt broke. THe car feels really sluggish and the reason im writing this is becuase there is a really loud whine coming from the timing belt, most heard off idle anywhere from 800 rpm and up. I replaced the timing belt tensioner as well as the water pump, suspecting the bearings may have gone bad. however the problem still exists. I have re tensioned the belt numerous times and i know nothing is rubbing inside the cover and i also know its not the alternator making the whine. Anyone who has had this problem and any advice would be geatly appreciated. Also sometimes at idle the timing belt will vibrate between the water pump and the cam sprocket. In my experience as a tech this is becuase the belt is too tight. However i have loosened it and tightened it numberous times wiht no luck.any one with any input would be great thank you
The whining could be easily checked by removing all accessory belts off and starting the car.If the noise persist then you know that the noise is from timing cover.The reason for sluggishness could be that the timing is off or compression is no good.In either sutuations the compression and leakdown test is a must.There should be no exessive vibration between water pump and cam sprocket.Is there a chance that the replacement belt is the wrong one?Did you compare it before?It happens.The belt that it overtightened will make a noise similar to the whining of wind.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the belts too tight u will hear it whine and the whine will increase with the rpms.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i replaced all 16 valves when the t belt first went but one did point out compression could be gone becuase the new valves arent seating right and thats where my slugishness is coming from. On further inspection the whine sounds like its coming from the bottom end, its very prevelant from under the oil pan. So a possible slight bend in a connecting rod could throw off a bearing and possibly create this whine. I still need to do a leakdown and compression test. if i still have issues after confirming compression and no cylinder leakage I will post again .