Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Symptoms of a bad wheel bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
most hood white kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting an alignment, and my tires rotated and balanced on friday, also I need a new tire, it is bald all to hell, little to no tread. And how do I check the tie rod??
Old 03-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all 4 shocks blown and its doing the same exact thing you are talking about. Once i install my AGX and GC's Ill let you know if it fixes the problem
Old 03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (SL!M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SL!M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have all 4 shocks blown and its doing the same exact thing you are talking about. Once i install my AGX and GC's Ill let you know if it fixes the problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

this should fix your problem.....i had my front left tire replaced a week ago, and my front right tire is being replaced on Friday, could alignment be the cause for me having to get new tires?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (bewsted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bewsted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that there sound like you brakes if its coming from both side and worse in reverse... does it stop when you are rolling and press on your brakes???</TD></TR></TABLE>

It used to be both sides, but now it's only the front passenger side. I jacked my car up again and took the wheels off and manually turned the rotor foward and it made the screeching noise. I tured it backward and it made an even more annoying screech like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (chowmien)

i had the same problem when i bought rims, the steering wheel would jerk left and right . it turned out to be a bad tire, as soon as i replaced them it was fine.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am getting an alignment, and my tires rotated and balanced on friday, also I need a new tire, it is bald all to hell, little to no tread. And how do I check the tie rod??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy ****, if you have one balding tire then you need an alignment son. Get that thing on a rack and see what the numbers are. Prolly have a been control arm or tie rod or something that is messing it up.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:20 AM
most hood white kid

Alignment coming on Friday, you say it could be a bent control arm, would you say iti s a UCA or LCA?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:45 PM
most hood white kid

Ok, so I rotated the tire today, checked for play in the rotors(none), and just basically trie to see if I could jar anything loose, and everything seemed to be in tact, but when I pulled my front right tire off, I noticed the wires were showing from the bad tread wear...yikes!! SO I went and had it changed, when I saw the uneven tread wear, I knew I needed an alignment, so when I went to pick up my wheel, the guy who changed it told me the wheel was bent a little, b/c when he put it on his machine to balance it, you could see a little bounce in the wheel, so that is next on my list after an alignment, I put that wheel on the back, so I cant really feel it....but my car doesnt feel like every bolt is about fall out over 70 mph anymore, much smoother ride now that the back wheels are now on the front....but I have a new problem now, my steering wheel shakes whenever I hit the brakes, not to bad, but another thing that just bugs you.....so what could it be?? warped rotors? rotors need turning?? new pads?? any input is welcomed!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:44 PM
most hood white kid

bump...anymore input?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new pads and rotors
Old 03-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beaterdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beaterdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new pads and rotors</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree sounds like a warped rotor or messed up pads, good to see u found out what the other problem was tho
Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (CRXified)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i agree sounds like a warped rotor or messed up pads, good to see u found out what the other problem was tho</TD></TR></TABLE>

i so wish I would have taken pics of this tire, it was possibly the worst I have ever seen a tire get....I mean it was horrible...but on my brakes, i was rubbing my rotors, and noticed that it didnt feel perfectly flat, like i would run my fingers across it and at the very edge of the rotor, it felt like a lip, and would kind of rise up, it is hard to explain. so i dunno, im kinda short on cash right now...i am trying to save so I dont have to worry about money right now
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Symptoms of a bad wheel bearing???

Hi there tech's i dont know if my priblem is similar but i want an answer to it or some advice... okay so i have a 92 accord, manual trans.. when on reverse and coming out of a parking spot per say, i stop turn, my wheel and as soon as i start moving forword i hear this metal like sound sliding or sometime a big clink/clunk or something like that, nore of a clunk. And this only happens usually after backing up and switching to first gear and accelerating slowly forward.. when on the freeway or city street, when i brake my car wobbles and sometimes my car would shake in between 70-80 mph is that helps.. please give me some advice on this problem im having,.. thanks..
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, not only did you bump a 5 year old dead thread without trying any of the tests mentioned all OVER these forums for wheel hub bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints, and brakes...you're even in the wrong section!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/

Go here. Read. Test. Post after you've done all of the tests you should have found while you pretended to search.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, Jack the car up and put it on jack stands. If the front tire is the culprit, engage the parking brake, chock the rear wheels and put the car in neutral.

Grab the tire at the 12 and 6 position and try to tilt it back and forth. If you can tilt it, at all, and there is any play whatsoever, it's your wheel bearing. Then spin the tire... is there grinding or squealing? If so, those are more signs of a bad wheel bearing.

Then grab the tire at the 9 and 3 position and try to tilt it back and forth. Is there play there? If so, look at where the outer tie rod ball joint meets the hub. If the play is there, you need a new outer tie rod end. If the play is coming from where the inner tie rod goes into the steering rack, you need a new inner tie rod end.

While you're down there examine all the bushings, especially on the lower control arm. Can you see daylight through any of them? Do any of them look ripped or torn? If so, they'll need replaced.