Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swap opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap opinion

I have a 92 Civic si which was totaled when some lady hit my girlfriend but I've rebuilt it and it looks better than when I bought it. Now it needs a new engine so help. b16a b18c or h22a? Ive heard good things about all of them but still cant make up my mind.. b16 is good cause its cheap and a good daily driver h22a is good cause its cheap and powerful (heard it pulls hard but is also heavy) and the b18c is the combo of the both but expensive with me being a student and all... lemme hear what you guys think.. and thanks for your help
Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap opinion

Hi,
I have a thread with the same topic and I haven't received a reply so I did a bit of research. At the moment I have a D16Z6 with 300,000 km's, so it's about that time that I swap. After looking at the available options, I've settled on getting a B16A. It's powerful (Has VTEC) and it seems like everyone has good things to say about it. I don't know much about cars yet (I'm just getting into the whole community) but based on personal research, I would say that's probably one of the best options, if not the best.

Hope my opinion helps,
Trapphik.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only problem I have with it is that it is 30 hp slower than the h22a and they are about the same price for a complete swap on hmotorsonline. I know ppl say b16's are great for boost with the low compression ratio but I don't plan on doing that or atleast not for a while... but I too hear it's a great swap so thanks for your help and hopefully some more opinions on this. I know it's an age old arguement...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, everyone is always looking to get the most hp for the cheapest price. Although the H22A has quite a bit more power plus an increased displacement, I think it would take a lot of work to get that motor in your Civic. Again, I don't know much, but considering the H22A motor isn't really meant for our years Civic, it could be a problem. But, if you're up for a little work, it would definitely pay off in the long run. Me personally, I'm looking for something that is going to be reliable, and yet prove to be a powerful motor after a few aftermarket modifications. Hence, the B16A is my option.

-Trapphik
Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd go with H22A. Not only does it have much more power, it is also over a much wider powerband. Also, the weight issue really isn't much. The difference between a B16 and a H22A is about the weight of your battery. Put it in the trunk and you're good to go.

They also make H2B and H2D kits that will allow you to bolt the H22A to a transmission intended for a Civic, making mounting a million times easier.

A F20B is also an option. It is extremely similar to an H22A, but a bit smaller. Has 200 HP and I see them on eBay for $400 to $500, or $850 from hmotors.

The B18C only has 10 more horsepower then a B16A. However, the H22A has between 40 and 60 more horsepower. It's a much bigger increase.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The B16 has about the same torque as a D series. So your car is going to feel more or less the same as stock until you are revving around 5 or 6 grand, that's where it'll be faster. I've driven/ridden in my buddies old hatch that had that set up. A B18C has about 20% more torque and will be a good amount faster at all rpms. The H22 does have more power and torque due to its larger displacement. Don't let the price on hmotors fool you though. I'm not an H series expert but you need special mount and I think axels to make this swap work, which is a lot more dough, I think you also may need a new wiring harness? The swap is going to be harder to complete. Also, the H22 weighs about 60-100 lbs more than a b series, which doesn't sound like much. However, it will sit higher and further forward in your car, making the weight distribution worse, not good if you like cornering or autocross or anything.

Cliff notes: I would choose a B18C if you can afford it.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I second Korman in considering the F20B, it's really similar to the H22 and can be had for cheap.

How much are the H2B and H2D kits?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the price on a B18C full swap?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it's like $2800 from hmotorsonline. Check out the marketplace on here for cheaper prices, or craigslist. Just be careful buying motors from unknown sources.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H2D is $720 new from Bisimoto. Probably about half to find one used... not like they wear out or anything. You will also need a CRV tripod mount (B20) which is a junkyard part. Since the trans is the same, all axles, linkages, clutch lines, clutch, etc. is all the same. Flywheel comes with the H2D kit.

You will need the longblock (including intake and exhaust manifold), harness and ECU, which for a F20B is anywhere between $400-$600, or $850 from H-motors. There are other odds and ends you will need.

Total swap price for F20B using F2D could be anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 depending on your shopping skills and luck.

Power results will be 200 HP (flywheel) and 145 lb.-ft. torque. That is the same power and more torque than an Integra Type R swap. A full ITR swap is $4,600 + odds and ends.

Things to keep in mind are the ratios of the D series trans you use. Best bet is an EX/Si trans from an EG or, even better, an EX trans from an EK. They have stronger shift forks. You can pick one up for chump change.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

side note also make sure you get an LSD with the engine. very worth it for only 300. its no quaiffe but its better then none.

id vote h22a or f20b. if i had a second chance to redo my swap i would pick that.
i have a b16a now and its fun but foot to the floor to notice much difference in low rpm.

h2b that i know of go from 900-2k. but i only know of bisi and im sure theres lower range ones somewhere. im not an H series person.
h2d was 650-1100, same place.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H22 is a bitch to install right and will cost alot more to install compared to b16... That being said the extra power is great.... I have a b16 swap and I am going b20 vtec because the lack of Torque sucks....

Go h22...
Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

h2b!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well then I'm glad I posted this because at first I was leaning towards working my *** off forever and going b18cR because reds my favorite color but in all seriousness it sounded like the engine I wanted but 4600 is pretty steep considering the k20 can be had for 5300. the main thing that was driving me towards b series was that if im not mistaken will fit my stock mounts and be a shitload easier to swap.. this being important bc my friend is the automotive/honda expert so he is doing most of the swap and im doing bullshit work. so ill feel bad but he wants my car to be fast so he wont care.. I don't plan to run autocross although I wouldnt want my handling to be horrible. I dont drive like an ******* but i like windy roads and going fast... how much does the h22 effect handling?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have never actually driven an H22 powered Civic, I'm going but what I've read about the weight, motor placement, etc. However, with an H2D or H2B like what's being discussed here, it's mounted to a D or B series transmission, thus it's mounted as it should be. Moving your battery to the trunk will even out the weight a bit. It probably isn't too bad, but like I said, I don't have real world experience.

Anyone with H2D or H2B keep their A/C?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plsarestupid
alright well then I'm glad I posted this because at first I was leaning towards working my *** off forever and going b18cR because reds my favorite color but in all seriousness it sounded like the engine I wanted but 4600 is pretty steep considering the k20 can be had for 5300. the main thing that was driving me towards b series was that if im not mistaken will fit my stock mounts and be a shitload easier to swap.. this being important bc my friend is the automotive/honda expert so he is doing most of the swap and im doing bullshit work. so ill feel bad but he wants my car to be fast so he wont care.. I don't plan to run autocross although I wouldnt want my handling to be horrible. I dont drive like an ******* but i like windy roads and going fast... how much does the h22 effect handling?
You are mistaken on like 13 things on this post.... and counting.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say H2b, just think about it, do you want a high 14 sec car, or for a little bit more money have a high 12s low 13 daily driver monster. I own an h2b hatch and let me tell you, i would of been kicking myself in the face if i went the b16 route like I was going to, everybody does that swap.

And the h series is only about 30 lbs heavier then a b series
Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what am I mistaken about? and krut thats all great and I understand the power gains of h series I'm just not willing to compromise handling.. I mean unless it isn't that big of a difference but part of the reason hatches are fun to drive is because you can manuever and turn hard.. thanks for clearing that up griff and krut can you vouch for the handling being similar to stock
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Krut
I say H2b, just think about it, do you want a high 14 sec car, or for a little bit more money have a high 12s low 13 daily driver monster. I own an h2b hatch and let me tell you, i would of been kicking myself in the face if i went the b16 route like I was going to, everybody does that swap.

And the h series is only about 30 lbs heavier then a b series
I just looked up the weight differences. I believe a full H swap is about 40 lbs heavier than a b swap (it will vary a little depending on what, exactly, you have). An H2D would only be about 30 pounds heavier, since the H transmission is heavier than a D tranny. Now since an average car battery weighs 39 pounds, I'll assume a Civic's weighs, say 34.

So if you transfer your battery to the trunk, your weight distribution will actually be slightly better WITH your H2D, and your car's total weight will be about 30lbs heavier total. This shouldn't create a noticeable difference in handling. Thus, my prior theory on handling with an H2D has been disproved by me, unless someone has a counter argument.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by plsarestupid
what am I mistaken about? and krut thats all great and I understand the power gains of h series I'm just not willing to compromise handling.. I mean unless it isn't that big of a difference but part of the reason hatches are fun to drive is because you can manuever and turn hard.. thanks for clearing that up griff and krut can you vouch for the handling being similar to stock
To be honest, I drove my car maybe 5 miles home with the stock d series with steelies on it and did the swap right away so i cant tell you the difference 1st hand. It defiantly is no slouch in the turns I rip it around town everyday. It might affect it a little bit, but to be honest you probably wont notice it unless you are a hardcore autoXer, The power gain is just so great to worry about something so small you probably wont be able to tell, just my opinion though
Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff

Anyone with H2D or H2B keep their A/C?
Probably my biggest concern and a big reason for me favoring a B series swap over an H or F or K for that matter.

If you live in Florida u need a/c end of story I don't care how JDM and/or lighter your car is without it.

So can I keep my cold air and still run an H2B?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was gonna do an h22a becuase you can get them relativaly cheap and yes they have way more horse power. but not only is that good but an h22a has way more tq than any b series. it has 161 which is like 30 more than a b20 and a b20 only has like 140ish hp. so a h22a has 30 pounds more tg and 60 mor hp. its alil more work to do sine u have to route the shifting cables and get special motor mounts but its worth it. or u can just do the best idea and go boost and make way more horse power. u could just swap a b16 for cheap and easy and boost that bitch and have a very fast fun reliable car. i was gonna go h22a but decided to boost a d16z6. you can do that too. pretty cheap. boost is the way though.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look if you plan on building the motor later it doesnt matter. h22 stuff is a little more pricey
and the tq of the h22 is cool but bottem line do you want NA or IF do you like reving to 8k or 10k and how much money do you have to spend.its all up to you do what you like not what other ppl like
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Reyracer19
So can I keep my cold air and still run an H2B?
I have yet to see that done, You would need to do some MASSIVE modifications to make that work. I think its possible with a straight h22 swap, but h2b no
Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should just build and boost the sohc. I dont see y u couldnt put ac on a h2b (ac has nothing to do with the tranny), unless theres clearance problems with the compressor and condensor/fan which would b the case on just a h22

Quick Reply: Swap opinion