Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering Wheel Volume Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Volume Control

Alright, so ever since I've been around all the new cars at work, I thought this would be a cool idea. I know everyone says it's for the lazy, but I think it's nice to have and if I can get my idea to work, it would cost less than $10.

So, what I did first was get the dimensions of the civic cruise control switch. I said, alright the volume control on the other side has to be around the same dimensions in order to fit. Well sure enough after going through all the odyssey and crvs I could, I found it on a 98' Accord EX V6:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1

The switch is good. I know volume control will work with the stock headunit because the odyssey has the exact same headunit (and volume control). The port's even follow the same pattern (odyssey vs. civic), so I'd just have to tap a wire into the blue connector on the back of headunit.

The problem with all this is, the cable reel. Can you guys think of a practical / safe way to make it work?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Steering Wheel Volume Control (sk8shorty012)

i always wanted this... i mean im not lazy but damn that would just be a lovely thing to have as long as its done right and not ghetto rigged
Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Wheel Volume Control (Midori Green)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i always wanted this... i mean im not lazy but damn that would just be a lovely thing to have as long as its done right and not ghetto rigged </TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly. I'm trying to find out if there's extra pinouts in the cable reel, that way I could just tap into there. It'd be the best method anything other would be pretty ghetto. As long as I can get it through the reel properly, the mounting / wiring is simple.

So any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Uxi
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Steering Wheel Volume Control (sk8shorty012)

It is one of the nicer features of new cars. Anything that would look more OEM would be good, but I'd be obviously reluctant to carve up my EK9/Momo SRS wheel....
Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Wheel Volume Control (Uxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Uxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is one of the nicer features of new cars. Anything that would look more OEM would be good, but I'd be obviously reluctant to carve up my EK9/Momo SRS wheel....</TD></TR></TABLE>

okay? The slit wouldn't have to be huge. Everything would work, it's just i'm trying to figure out a solution around the cable reel.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe someone with an extra cable reel / or one out can tell me if there are extra pinouts on it?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (sk8shorty012)

i dont have an extra reel, but props to trying a new DIY. Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted if you decide to do it.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKstacy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKstacy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont have an extra reel, but props to trying a new DIY. Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted if you decide to do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well, the parts came in today, I'm gonna attempt to look at it tomorrow. The cool thing is, on the back of the mounting bracket there's a connector for the ground, so it means I only have to run ONE wire (the input / power) through the cable reel rather than both wires (power & ground). If anyone has more thoughts about how to get the input wire through the reel or another solution, please feel free to chime in
Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you given any thought into it being a proprietary system? Are you planning on using the correct radio for the buttons you're using?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you given any thought into it being a proprietary system? Are you planning on using the correct radio for the buttons you're using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How so?

Yes, here's the thought process. The odyssey (99 or so) has the same headunit as the 99-00 civic and it has volume control. The input on the volume control for the odyssey goes into slot #3 out of the 20 pin connector, where's on the civic's connector it's open. The other inputs (power / speakers / etc.) match up to the civic, so i'm assuming the civic headunit has the capability.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that is the case, then I would suggest using the accord or the odesey cable reel. Running a wire through the cable reel might not be the safest practice, and either cable reel should have the same connections (single stage SRS, 1-pin horn, cruise).
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure though if they're compatible, they look a bit different to me:

Civic: https://www.hondapartsdeals.co...4.gif

Accord:
https://www.hondapartsdeals.co...5.gif

But it was definetly one of my first thoughts.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (sk8shorty012)

you could always use the horn wire and put a pushbutton for the horn on the steering column. that way it would free up a pin. or you could try to fab up a ring to go on the back of the wheel like on an aftermarket hub. and then use the shoe horn piece from honda. (or a paper clip) swithching to an aftermarket radio may prove easier to do as you could disassemble the remote that come with the unit and mount its internals in the wheel and mount the ir on the rear of your steering control switch pod pointing at the face of the radio.