Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 97 Civic CX with 109,000 miles and my srs main unit failled( the car has never been involved in an accident). I have called honda and asked them to help supplement the $550 plus cost and they refused. After doing some research on recalls.gov many people have suffered the same failure and honda has done very little to help. So I am asking for anyone who has had the srs unit fail please report them to recalls.gov or call them at 1-888-327-4236 even if you have allready paid for the repair or are just driving with the light on. I am hoping that with enough complaints the government can launch an investigation, resulting in a recall being issued. If there is a recall and you've already done the repair you could get your money back.

Heres a direct link to the complaint page

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

or

1-888-327-4236
Old 01-05-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Re: SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER (speedy_beedee)

bump
Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 AM
HRD PKR

hate to burst your bubble but odd's are there probably wont be a recall to come about. Just buy it and move on or just get one from a junk yard
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

News flash -- recalls don't happen when a car has been out of warranty for 8 years.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER (B16B_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hate to burst your bubble but odd's are there probably wont be a recall to come about. Just buy it and move on or just get one from a junk yard </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^

Op your car is 10 years old... they don't make it anymore.. and there have been 2 new generations of the civic. I doubt they would do a recall on 10 year old car + 2 Gen's "OLD"

If they did....... then everyone in the world would drive a honda
Old 01-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER (G2 Speed)

Just Take the Cluster out and pull the bulb out of the SRS
Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 PM

All I am asking is if you suffer the same problem please report it. I already know what MY options are so I don't need anyone telling me to just get it fixed(if I had the money I would). The earliest reported incidents were civics only a few thousand miles oustside of the warranty (they were still making the 6th gen), other peolpe are on their third srs module. Because there aren't enough people reporting the failure honda has just been ignoring it. So for everyone this post applies to please report any srs failure.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 01-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (speedy_beedee)

I would defintely help you out but mine hasn't failed yet. My momma taught me to be truthful.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:34 PM

thanks at least i have one person who isnt against me, and hasnt given up before they have tried.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 AM

I think it's unlikely that they will hear your story and issue a recall. But nothing wrong with trying. Are you sure that the main SRS unit is the culprit?

bump for this guy and his crapped out SRS
Old 01-06-2008, 07:08 AM

the dealer said it was main srs unit, i know the mechanic who read the light and he is honest.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wish i still had srs but i like my 320mm :D
Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just Take the Cluster out and pull the bulb out of the SRS</TD></TR></TABLE>

....or get one out of a junkyard.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedy_beedee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the dealer said it was main srs unit, i know the mechanic who read the light and he is honest.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Did they reset the system? Did it recode right away? What was the trouble code?

A dead srs control unit is pretty rare. But internal error codes are very common, a lot of times caused by low voltage conditions.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM

they did reset the system, it the light came back on in less than a week.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
MiG-21 superfan

maybe i'm missing something, but...

is the SRS system supposed to be covered for longer than any other portion of the mfr warranty? if not, i'm not sure what you are going after...

parts break, parts fail...because you don't have the cash doesn't mean honda should pay for it on such an old vehicle.

you speak of people who had the issue after just a few thousand miles after warranty expiration, well, those people should react and they might have some semblance of a case, but even they would be at the mercy of honda.

not you...w/ over 100k and 11 years on the vehicle. christ they stopped making the 6th gen 8 years ago.

i just sold my 97 CX that i had since 1998 and had no problem such as this, but even if i did, i'd never ever even think to have anyone pay for it other than...me.

i think you should seriously reconsider your logic here. it's flawed.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:20 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER (builthatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe i'm missing something, but...

is the SRS system supposed to be covered for longer than any other portion of the mfr warranty? if not, i'm not sure what you are going after...

parts break, parts fail...because you don't have the cash doesn't mean honda should pay for it on such an old vehicle.

you speak of people who had the issue after just a few thousand miles after warranty expiration, well, those people should react and they might have some semblance of a case, but even they would be at the mercy of honda.

not you...w/ over 100k and 11 years on the vehicle. christ they stopped making the 6th gen 8 years ago.

i just sold my 97 CX that i had since 1998 and had no problem such as this, but even if i did, i'd never ever even think to have anyone pay for it other than...me.

i think you should seriously reconsider your logic here. it's flawed.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Agreed. I'm really into Hondas and I've had two 6th gens myself, plus my boyfriend has one, plus several of my friends have had them and I work in auto parts and I have never heard of a SRS failure on a car I've actually known. I've never even heard of one from a friend. The only ones I've seen are online, and well, the people mentioning them often have replaced other parts which raise a red flag on if they messed with the SRS in any way shape or form.

This is the first time (besides a site where peopel report problems) I've heard of a main control failure. And the people on there generally know nothing about cars, so the real issue could often be anything.

Here's that site btw.
http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystation.asp
Old 01-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Hey, I professionally removed the entire SRS system from my 97 LX. I have both driver and passenger airbag, all wiring, and even the SRS brain box under the heater core. Everything has been unclipped, not cut and can easily go into your car with less than an hour work, depending on your skill.

I can sell it all to you for 200. If you're near Irvine, call me (949)295-0157
Old 01-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the input, but i am only asking that you report a failure if you have one. I am not asking for endless comentary about how i'm doing something wrong, what you think is illogical, or a waste of my time.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedy_beedee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the input, but i am only asking that you report a failure if you have one. I am not asking for endless comentary about how i'm doing something wrong, what you think is illogical, or a waste of my time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And what we're telling you is that we're not going to report our failure, because it's not common, and it's not going to do anything.

It'd be like voting for Tony the Tiger in the upcoming presidential election.

Honda won't do anything about 6th gen windows running off the track .... and that happens to everyone I know. Is there a recall? No. There's just service bulletin for cars under warranty.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedy_beedee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the input, but i am only asking that you report a failure if you have one. I am not asking for endless comentary about how i'm doing something wrong, what you think is illogical, or a waste of my time. </TD></TR></TABLE>
There are lots of common issues with our cars that never have had recalls. Like the windows coming off the tracks. That happens to almost every 6th gen I know about. I'm counting myself lucky since so far it hasn't happened to my current coupe (happened to my last one though). *Knock on wood.*

Granted your issue would be see as a safety issue. How did the unit fail anyway? When did it fail? Has the car been stolen, in even a light collision, hard braked, anything? Does the car have any water leaks inside? Have you installed anything into the car? Has any work been done on the car?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:59 PM

I have also had my window fail it was a 70 dollar fix I can live with that especcilally since I would force it up and down when it would slow down. But what I am pissed about is 550 dollar srs failure especially since it isnt a wear item and I have done nothing to bring it on.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:05 PM

my car has NEVER been in an ACCIDENT lowspeed or high the only mod is the eibach springs, after market radio(mine didnt have one), rear speakers (mine didnt have them) and those have NOTHING to do with the srs.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedy_beedee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have also had my window fail it was a 70 dollar fix I can live with that especcilally since I would force it up and down when it would slow down. But what I am pissed about is 550 dollar srs failure especially since it isnt a wear item and I have done nothing to bring it on. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Eran was quoted about $300-400 parts and labor for both sides. We checked it over and it was all right too.

Yours probably just got spray lubed and that's all. A lot of cars actually have the window pop out of the track. Up to an inch or more away from where it should be in the track. So that the window doesn't shut and makes the car easier to break into and rain gets in too. Not to mention the window's also worthless. This can damage the window trim, the tracks, the scissors (regulator) and the motor.

You sound like you got lucky on the window issue.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 PM

that 70 was for new a new regulator and plastic cover, mine old regulator was bent so bad the window would pop off track everytime I rolled it down. I bought the factory service manual and did the work myself.

Quick Reply: SRS FAILURE, LETS BAND TOGETHER