Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Squealing coming from belts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing coming from belts?

There''s been a squeal coming from my belts (at least i think its from my belts) thats a "squeal..squeal..squeal" cycle sound, not a long "squeeeeeeeeeaaaal." Right when I start my car it starts to squeal, but I found that when I step on the gas it tends to go away (or maybe I can''t hear it over the engine). But it''s constantly there whenever I idle or just coast. Not too sure which belt it is or if it''s the alternator.

The car is a 2000 Civic with 188k. The timing belt was changed at 103k so I don''t know if it''s time again. (I hope not)

Whats the problem and whats the fix?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Squealing coming from belts? (charmin)

i am no ASE mechanic & am brand new to honda's but it sounds like a bellt is slightly loose which is a simple tighten belt to fix or
you could have a stretched belt that needs to be replaced
Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Squealing coming from belts? (cmgibby)

Yeah its a simple fix. Should take you no more than 10 minutes tops. Sounds like your alternator belt is loose, I hate the sound of loose belts, its embarrassing and makes your car look like a pos to other people haha.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Squealing coming from belts? (redman223)

ya my car is doing the same thing, when i start it squeals really bad for about 30 secs when you rev the car it stops and goes away. i replaced all the belts, i went back and tightened the ac and ps belts since there easy to get to. Havent touched the alt. belt but i dont know how to keep the tension on it since there s no tensioner atleast from what i can see
Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM

belts can be dry need to spray wd40???
Old 07-25-2008, 06:54 PM

mine only squeals in neutral.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Squealing coming from belts? (cruzn29)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cruzn29 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">belts can be dry need to spray wd40???</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard lubrication tends to hurt the belts and make them crack.

It could be a fan belt. Is your a/c on? If so when it happens hurry and turn you a/c off and see if it stops it.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Squealing coming from belts? (rSol93)

NOOOoo to wd40 on belts it will dry them out and make them crack
Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM

Location: ....................................................................................................

please do not use belt dressing or any other lubricut because it will grease your enitire engine bay up for you and collect grime and dust also its only a temporary fix like restore a belt is only 12 bucks at most...if you start your car after its been sitting for a while its your alt belt if you turn at a low speed or no speed at all its your pw str belt if you use your a/c its its your a/c belt all these belts can be changed with a simple ratchet and 12 millimeter socket ..if your belt is skipping turn off your car and "BE SURE TO WATCH OUT FOR HOT PARTS" ie; exhaust manifold and valve cover...then after that precaution touch and see each belt if its loose there is a certain amount of belt deflection i personally just make sure its tight rather than measuring with a ruler "no room" but if there is a certain belt thats not on too tight just use a 12 mill wrench or socket/ratchet whichever is better for you and that should work also i do not believe a timing will squeal the only time a timing belt would give notice is if your idle is loping really bad at all times when your in idle other than that i think i can't be clearer on how to check your engine accesory belts
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

squealing is usually a LOOSE belt or a BELT THAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED, you can try tightening them or using belt dressing...might help. If your car has that many miles on it i'd just replace all of them. Its not your timing belt....they dont squeal...if they're too tight they might make a whine sound, if its loose it'll jump teeth and run like crap. If you're feeling cheap then diagnose it one belt at a time. First take off the power steering belt and drive it around. Still squealing then adjust the next belt, i think its alternator..cant remember. And then the next i think AC belt.

Modified by rivaladore at 6:50 PM 7/26/2008