Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

squeaking coming from the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default squeaking coming from the rear?

hello HT'ers

this has been happening for a while, but recently its just getting pretty annoying.

everytime i drive / back over a speedbump or out of my driveway, i can hear something in the rear of my car squeaking...

i would like to say its the suspension, but im not sure what would make it squeak/creek. the suspensions still stock so nothings been messed with.

any ideas?

thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 01:15 PM
vc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: squeaking coming from the rear? (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everytime i drive / back over a speedbump or out of my driveway, i can hear something in the rear of my car squeaking...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

same for me!! do you have any pillar bars? strut bars? I was starting to think it might be that.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have all poly bushings and omni's in my car and the hatch area squeaks. its the chassis flexing. it will not stop squeaking with a rear strut tower bar or lower tie bar. i have't tried a X bar, but i doubt it will help. if you have someone drive your car down a driveway and look at the rear when it starts making noise, you can see the glass and plastics move a little bit. if you stick your finger in the molding between the glass and the hatch, you will feel it smash your finger or get looser.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 PM
vc

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you have someone drive your car down a driveway and look at the rear when it starts making noise, you can see the glass and plastics move a little bit. if you stick your finger in the molding between the glass and the hatch, you will feel it smash your finger or get looser.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that suppose to be a bad thing??
Old 12-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: squeaking coming from the rear? (vc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same for me!! do you have any pillar bars? strut bars? I was starting to think it might be that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nothing its completely stock. but i plan on upgrading in the near future.

i guess theres no way to pinpoint exactly where its from?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Park your car and press down on the rear end from the bumper or the trunk.
2. Whatever side it is, move to that side and press down on the car near the wheel and listen again.
3. Report back to this site and get flamed before someone gives a constructive suggestion.

Grab some chassis lube and grease that ****. This will not only help your squeaking, but will help fight dry-rot.

GL, Let us know...
JasonGhostz
Old 12-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried pushing down in various areas towards the back, but the sound isnt the same... it sounds like somethings flexing or rubbing when i hit a bump.

i dont think my shocks are blown, but then again theres about 130k on my car and its probably time to change em
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekcivic9)

If it's the sound of rubbing, can you give any detail as to what kinds of materials are making contact? Because squeaking is one thing, rubbing is another, and I have no idea what flexing sounds like.

Suspension noises will most of the time come from contact points (bushings, bolts, rubbing), AFIK, only the springs, dampers, and swaybars can make noise when "flexed", and that might require a loose definition of "noise"...

But also keep in mind that your suspension might be fine. Maybe you should also check to see if it's a body panel bolt/connection that's making the noise while handling the changes in load.

But first you need to locate the problem area. Check to see if it's coming from the left, right, or center of the vehicle. If you can repeat the sound, get a buddy to stand behind your vehicle, and floor it in reverse! Maybe his view from the ground will help. But seriously, try to find conditions that make your car make this noise. If you can't inspect it yourself, get a friend to help pinpoint the noise. Open the trunk, take off a body panel or two (if it drives you that crazy), and just start hunting for that SOB... whatever it is.

If you try to "fix" it without pinpointing your problem, you could end up spending a lot of $$$$ and not fix your problem...
Let us know what you find, and we'll help you deal with that ****!
JasonGhostz
Old 12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JasonGhostz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonGhostz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Open the trunk, take off a body panel or two (if it drives you that crazy), and just start hunting for that SOB... whatever it is.

If you try to "fix" it without pinpointing your problem, you could end up spending a lot of $$$$ and not fix your problem...
Let us know what you find, and we'll help you deal with that ****!
JasonGhostz</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol thanks for the info, ill search for that biaatch tomorrw!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 PM

this exact thing is happening to my eg. have someone sit in the backseat while you drive. my friend found the squeeking to be somewhere in the side plastics. the same plastics that you pop the pieces out to get to the strut tower. i thought it would be suspension also, its closer to the seatbelts, like the plastics are not clipped in. good luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: (mrjdm2u)

If the squeek is coming from the outside and not the inside, try to use some WD-40

Take a can of WD40 and spray all over the spring and especially the spot where it "sits" on the shock...

That's how I got rid of the squeeking sounds from my rear right... the noises where terrible, especially after the rain... I sprayed the whole spring with WD40 and squeek immediately went away...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem with my eg. i found out that my right rear lower control arm bushing was worn out. so i bought omnipower lcas and replaced them. now there's no more squeeking.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is that suppose to be a bad thing??</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is a bad thing, body flex is not a desireable thing. you want the chassis and all the suspension mount points to remain as they were designed. when you have flex, the points change and your geometry changes. so in hand, the angles that were intended by the engineer are not present. but with bars, you can at least try to keep the suspension points stable and that makes a big difference. when i go from my current setup to no bars, you can feel it right away. the car is slower to respond.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrjdm2u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrjdm2u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this exact thing is happening to my eg. have someone sit in the backseat while you drive. my friend found the squeeking to be somewhere in the side plastics. the same plastics that you pop the pieces out to get to the strut tower. i thought it would be suspension also, its closer to the seatbelts, like the plastics are not clipped in. good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you ever find a solution to this?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be shocks, rear lca bushings, rear trailing arm bushing or possible the plastic trim on the interior hitting the metal sides... I put some tape where the plastic touches metal and the rear is pretty quiet...

now i gotta fix the front vibration noises from the glove box and around the dash area
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be shocks, rear lca bushings, rear trailing arm bushing or possible the plastic trim on the interior hitting the metal sides... I put some tape where the plastic touches metal and the rear is pretty quiet...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you have to pull off the plastic mouldings?

i tried ppushing down on my suspension, but it just sounds like what its supposed to sound like i would assume. same sounds i get when i jack up my car.

im starting to think its the plastics!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm i would like to know to.. i recently just installd my new suspension parts and it squeeks like expletive when i make lil turns at like 40 mphs... or while im turning uphill while at about 40mph it squeeks from the rears