Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedo/odometer/ vtec all not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo/odometer/ vtec all not working

i've checked everything changed ecu, vss, checked all wiring, getting perfect ground, power and signal to the cluster, ecu and speed sensor, but the speedo, odometer, and vtec still doesn't work does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong.
the car is a 97 ek hatch with a d15b , its running off an obd2 harness jumped to an obd1 computer.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Speedo/odometer/ vtec all not working (crispek9)

well, i would say check the jumper harness. I would suspect the VSS, but you said you checked that. Jumper harnesses are foreign territory for me though, good luck
Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Speedo/odometer/ vtec all not working (sol2hatch)

wow now i realy have no clue whats wrong i took the jumper harness off and put an obd2 computer in to see if it would start even though it shouldn't because theres no crank sensor on my motor and it still started and i can still drive it, somthing is really fucked up, any ideas
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the ecu #, also vtec will not work if it does not have a vss signal. does the check engine light come on when u use the ecu without the jumper harness? and with the jumper harness?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you tested for vss signal at the ecu or just physically looked at the vss and made sure it was plugged in. I have had a problem on my b16 that the vss wires backing out of the plug at the sensor or moisture can get into the plug since it sits upright and acts as a water bucket for moisture
Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: (93egsir)

i've checked everything vss signal, power, ground, its all good everywhere, to the ecu to the vss it self and even to cluster this is why i cant figure out whats wrong, check engine light comes on with both the jumper harness and even when i plug in just the obd2 computer.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 PM

is there anyone that has any ideas
Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM

STILL NEED HELP WITH THIS ANY IDEAS.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow now i realy have no clue whats wrong i took the jumper harness off and put an obd2 computer in to see if it would start even though it shouldn't because theres no crank sensor on my motor and it still started and i can still drive it, somthing is really fucked up, any ideas</TD></TR></TABLE>

the "crank sensor" you mention by the oil pump is not the crank position sensor that the ecu is looking for, so your old ecu will run except no vtec. so when u plug in the obd1 ecu, does that throw a cel? if not, then it is all because of the vss is not working right, no vss = no vtec. check the wire from the vss sensor plug to the ecu plug with a voltmeter. if the wire is good, then your sensor is bad.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Speedo/odometer/ vtec all not working (spoon_ek9)

I THROW CES WITH BOTH ECU'S NOT JUST THE OBD2 BUT MY CAR SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RUN ON AN OBD2 ECU AT ALL THE CAR SHOULD NOT START CAUSE MY MOTOR DOESN'T HAVE A CRANK SENSOR AND IN ORDER FOR OBD2 TO START IT READS A CRANK SENSOR. WHERE ITS READING IT FROM I DONT KNOW .
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crispek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I THROW CES WITH BOTH ECU'S NOT JUST THE OBD2 BUT MY CAR SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RUN ON AN OBD2 ECU AT ALL THE CAR SHOULD NOT START CAUSE MY MOTOR DOESN'T HAVE A CRANK SENSOR AND IN ORDER FOR OBD2 TO START IT READS A CRANK SENSOR. WHERE ITS READING IT FROM I DONT KNOW . </TD></TR></TABLE>

all honda use the sensors in the distributor to get the crankshaft position for the ecu. the crank sensor you are talking about is for the ecu to shut off your engine while it senses some abnormal engine reaction(like spinning out). and what cel did the obd1 and 2 ecu throw?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Speedo/odometer/ vtec all not working (spoon_ek9)

WHEN I HAVE THE OBD1 EVU IN ITS THROWING CODE 17 WHICH IS THE SPEED SENSOR, BUT I'VE ALREADY CHANGED THAT AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK, WITH THE OBD2 ECU I WAS HAVIN A PROB CAUSE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT JUST STAYED SOLID.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM

well a solid CEL is a bad ECU...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Speedo/odometer/ vtec all not working (Civichx1998)

OK I'V RECHECKED THE CELS JUST TO BE SURE AND WITH AN OBD1 ECU I GET CODE 17 WHICH IS THE VSS, THEN WITH A OBD2 I GET CODE 54-WHICH IS CSF SENSOR INTERMITTENT INTERRUPTION OR CSF SENSOR NO SIGNAL AND CODE 65- WHICH IS O2 SENSOR WHICH IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT CAUSE I KNOW I HAVE AN O2 SENSOR OUT. NOW WHAT IS A CSF SENSOR AND WHAT THE HELL DO THEY MEAN INTERMITTENT INTURRUPTION OR NO SIGNAL.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what i was talking about crank fluctuation sensor(thats the crank sensor u were talking about) which is just a safety feature to shut off your engine when something abnormal happen, so it doesnt affect your normal engine operation. 65 is second O2 which might affect your drivablility.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so far it seems as though the vss is the real concern maybe not the sensor but the wiring or maybe the conversion harness I would check the wiring with the obd1 harness on from the vss plug to the obd1 plugs
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93egsir)

For the record the CSF sensor is not there to shut the engine down if the car spins out (where did that idea come from???). The CSF sensors sole purpose is to identify misfires and it is only there to comply with US OBD2 emissions control standards. OBD2 ecu's do not need an operational CSF in order to run properly. Period end of statement!

When you say you "checked" the VSS input to the ecu what do you mean? Did you use an ohm meter from the plug on the trans and to the ecu pin for the VSS and you found contiuity? if so, did you check for shorts to power or ground on that same wire? If that was good did you have someone else drive the car while you watched for a pulse signal on the VSS wire? If you have not conducted all of these tests, then you have not properly checked the wiring to the ecu. Furthermore since you say that you only get a CSF and an O2 sensor code with the OBD2 ecu and you do not get a VSS code (assuming that you drove the car for a while with the OBD2 ecu to give it a chance to look for a VSS problem), this leads me to believe that your problem most likely lies in your OBD2-OBD1 adapter harness.

If you do not drive the car around for a while on the OBD2 ecu, it will not set a VSS code. The ecu must see certain load, tps and rpm values before it looks for a VSS signal and sets a VSS code. I would recommend reinstalling the OBD2 ecu and driving it for a while to see if you also get a VSS code from the OBD2 ecu.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no matter what you say your problem is something to do with the speed sensor. Get a new one plug it in and see if you have the same problem.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92redhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92redhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no matter what you say your problem is something to do with the speed sensor. Get a new one plug it in and see if you have the same problem.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

in a previous statement the owner states that he did already replace the vss and still has the same concern
Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in that case you have to check the plug to see if its not coroded or check for a cut wire. The symptoms he has is due to the VSS. There is nothing else it could be.