Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ricey McRicerton..

Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricey McRicerton..

hey you seem to know alot about Hondas...what are the good or bad things about putting a turbo kit onto my car with a stock engine...i have a 92 civic lx SOHC non vtec 1.6
Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Ricey McRicerton.. (92lx4door)

bad low boost bad gas mileage when in boost(any car tho) and you could blow it up. good more power
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ricey McRicerton.. (EquipedWithVtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EquipedWithVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad low boost bad gas mileage when in boost(any car tho) and you could blow it up. good more power </TD></TR></TABLE>

worst post ever.

look at this. read alot. use the search button at the top right corner.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1643764
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Ricey McRicerton.. (MR.johnson)

how is that the worst post ever? ***** true right? yeah...exactly and the dude said stock not a built motor
Old 10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its one of the worst posts ever because it made no sense at all. go back and edit it so we dont think your an idiot
Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Ricey McRicerton.. (turbojdmhatch)

he asked the good and bad things about putting a turbo on his stock car. so i told him what they are. is this better for you guys. The bad about putting a turbo on your stock motor is, you will need to use low boost(so you don't blow up your motor), you will get bad gas mileage when you are in boost, and since its an older motor and might have alot of miles on it you could blow it up even on low boost. THE GOOD - you have more power.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EquipedWithVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he asked the good and bad things about putting a turbo on his stock car. so i told him what they are. is this better for you guys. The bad about putting a turbo on your stock motor is, you will need to use low boost(so you don't blow up your motor), you will get bad gas mileage when you are in boost, and since its an older motor and might have alot of miles on it you could blow it up even on low boost. THE GOOD - you have more power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong...you are explaining all the bad things when YOU ARE UNTUNED

street tune dyno tune whatever you can afford will take care of those problems if you have a good tuner... dont give this kid that kind of information.

OP visit the forced induction forum and use the search button if you have any more questions
Old 10-21-2008, 08:00 AM

Your post is vague, lacks grammar, thought, and information. Your post served, in my honest opinion, as no more then spam.

There are a lot of things to know when it comes to going with a forced induction set up for a car. You always run a risk of hurting your engine with boost. If you want a boosted motor, I highly suggest getting a built motor. You want an engine MADE to take load from a turbo and get the crap beaten out of it. Whenever you hear people talking about their civics making like 28 PSI, they have a built motor. People who claim lower numbers like 4.5 psi most likely have stock internals. That is a safe amount of boost to load onto a stock car. You must also remember that you need more then just a turbo and some pipes for a set up. You must get an upgraded fuel system, including a resistor box for your bigger injectors, fuel pump, and maybe a different fuel rail. You also want to be able to have management over your turbo. You need gauges to monitor your performance. You also NEED to invest in a tune after you get a turbo. The tune is THE most important part of doing a forced induction set up.

Moral of the story, turbos are NOT plug and play. Its not always the biggest turbo that makes the most power
Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

92lx to the answer to your question no its not bad to turbo your motor as long as you use common practice ie; do a compression test, find a good tuner, know your limits of boost and equiped, you do not get bad gas mileage. its only if you beat on the car and no you just can't blow it up, if you have a shitty tuner yes your car won't run to its full potential and may develop some probelms and yes if your motor is not heathly you can break something, but motors for your especially d- series motors are fairly easy and cheap to come by.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blkegcoupe)

lol, this is embarrasing.

Good things: More power, good power band. Good gas mileage still (I still average anywhere from 34-38 in mixed driving). Very little extra maintenance. Don't have to worry about hydrolock like you do with a low mounted intake.

Bad things: More **** to break/go wrong. Pain in the *** to get it all set up and tuned correctly. Costly to add to a car. I think I've got like 3500 bucks in my setup all said and done. A basic kid like a Greddy setup is missing a lot of stuff I'd say is necessary to boosting your car. Some of the stuff I ended up adding were a y8 intake mani/tranmission, new clutch, BOV, FMIC, wideband 02, etc, etc...