Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sound deadening material in 92 civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadening material in 92 civic hatch

Has anybody dynmated or used any kind of material to kill road noise on a 92-95 civic hatch? If you've done this does it make a big difference? I hate driving my civic and can't listen to my music and the ride becomes very unpleasant. I feel like im rolling around in a tin can. I like to take long trips and it just gets annoying. I dont have a loud exhaust, car is low, using falken ziex 512 series which are supposed to be quite. I want to do my doors, floor,trunk,etc... Please help me, I dont want to drop 300 bills and its still the same.

Please keep all negative comments to ur self. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sound deadening material in 92 civic hatch

Dynamat is definitely going to be the best/most well known product. Anything made of butyl rubber will do the same. I think McMaster Carr has it cheaper, but there may be other sources.

Stay away from the roofing materials. They're cheap, but after looking into it, they can stink and peel after a while.

Do you have a full interior or are you gutted? When I didn't have a rear seat, headliner or some trim, my hatch sounded like a tin can also. It was a CX by the way. Just adding all that helped.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dynomatted my old coupe and it was night and day. the doors closed with a thud, and roadnoise was cut in half! def do it....you will not regret it.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
Dynamat is definitely going to be the best/most well known product. Anything made of butyl rubber will do the same. I think McMaster Carr has it cheaper, but there may be other sources.

Stay away from the roofing materials. They're cheap, but after looking into it, they can stink and peel after a while.

Do you have a full interior or are you gutted? When I didn't have a rear seat, headliner or some trim, my hatch sounded like a tin can also. It was a CX by the way. Just adding all that helped.
yeah I have full interior, I heard of if this stuff called b-quite which is way cheaper than dynamat but does the same thing. B-quite also has an added material which you can lay over the sound deadening material( purchased separately) to get an even better result. I know any material will work, but will it work in a hatch like mine which is pretty much an egg shell No pun intended. Ive spent money on things that dont do squat and end up hating myself for it.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r33dm0n3y
i dynomatted my old coupe and it was night and day. the doors closed with a thud, and roadnoise was cut in half! def do it....you will not regret it.
You got a coupe though, I pretty much have no trunk. If if you doors make a thud then it
probably work in the rear of my car.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be-quiet doing the exact same thing as dynamat for way less money? damn, why isn't everyone doing this? you get what you pay for - dynamat is good stuff. I don't have anywhere near comparable experiences with lesser products...

as someone said, roofing products can peel and they stink when parked in the hot sun for a few hours. If you're going to dynamat, do it right the first time (it's expensive to do it twice) and use dry ice to clean off the factory deadening and acetone to clean up the leftovers. You want the best 100% seal to the shell as possible, any **** in between will make it work less.

you can also patch service holes in the doors with 1/8" plywood or something similar before dynamatting the patches in place. The more between you and the road, the quieter...

Paint-on deadener products work in the wheel wells, but can collect dirt and be a pain to clean. Check wheel bearings, make sure tires are inflated correctly, make sure there are no worn out OEM bushings anywhere in the car...

try to locate the sources of the noises, and diagnose/treat them accordingly.

best of luck, I used to build sound-quality cars for ppl and finding the sources of noises was the hardest part.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 92 hatchie and i dynomat'd the whole floor, from the firewall to the rear seats. and the entire trunk, my exhaust and road noise went down quite a bit, now everything rattles from my stiff susp and the stereo lol, anyways I used the dynamat extreme, I bought the "bulk pack" and that cost around $300CAD, also a good tip is that the extreme dynamat is more expensive but well worth it since it feels like its half the weight of the original dynamat
Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dynomat ftw
Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Corksil
be-quiet doing the exact same thing as dynamat for way less money? damn, why isn't everyone doing this? you get what you pay for - dynamat is good stuff. I don't have anywhere near comparable experiences with lesser products...

as someone said, roofing products can peel and they stink when parked in the hot sun for a few hours. If you're going to dynamat, do it right the first time (it's expensive to do it twice) and use dry ice to clean off the factory deadening and acetone to clean up the leftovers. You want the best 100% seal to the shell as possible, any **** in between will make it work less.

you can also patch service holes in the doors with 1/8" plywood or something similar before dynamatting the patches in place. The more between you and the road, the quieter...

Paint-on deadener products work in the wheel wells, but can collect dirt and be a pain to clean. Check wheel bearings, make sure tires are inflated correctly, make sure there are no worn out OEM bushings anywhere in the car...

try to locate the sources of the noises, and diagnose/treat them accordingly.

best of luck, I used to build sound-quality cars for ppl and finding the sources of noises was the hardest part.
Ill give dynamat a try and see how its works. I'm going to order a sample of b-quite just for
***** and giggles to see how it compares. The samples ar absolutely free.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Wyte
I have a 92 hatchie and i dynomat'd the whole floor, from the firewall to the rear seats. and the entire trunk, my exhaust and road noise went down quite a bit, now everything rattles from my stiff susp and the stereo lol, anyways I used the dynamat extreme, I bought the "bulk pack" and that cost around $300CAD, also a good tip is that the extreme dynamat is more expensive but well worth it since it feels like its half the weight of the original dynamat
Too bad ur in canada. Id ask u to give me a ride in ur car just hear it, but that would be weird lol!.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

This might be a much cheaper option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7eIF4cgFx4
Old 12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone heard of fatmat rattle trap?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damplifier is good too and I think its cheaper than dynamat if you buy it online in bulk.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r22thomas
damplifier is good too and I think its cheaper than dynamat if you buy it online in bulk.
Hmmm...ill look into this one. Every manufacturer sounds
Like its better than next or the other way around.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Stick with "Dynamat Xtreme" or the new "Superlite Dynamat" if you want to keep weight addition to a minimal. My experience with regular dynamat is that it tends to peel off after a while and much sooner than later if you don't prep well. I've used Dynamat xtreme on several customer cars and use it on all of my own and love it! The extreme is much easier to apply too.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 4 bulk packs of dynamat extreme on my old civic, it was like 800 bucks for all that.

144sq feet.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i spend 12o bucks on 100 square feet from ebay and put it on my doors and floor and trunk and i second the night and day statement. i wouldnt spend 7 times the amount for "dynamat"

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-New-asphalt-...item3a5597768b