Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

something near steering column, causes car not to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something near steering column, causes car not to start

Hey everyone, just wanted to see if any of you guys heard about this problem before.

so basically my car had trouble starting.. we thought it was the starter.. but after placing a new starter, sometimes the car wouldnt crank over, it was just click one time, and all the dashboard lights would go dim.

when the dashboard lights go dim (battery and oil lights).. the car will definitely not start.. but if you hit the steering wheel column, the dashboard lights gets brighter, and then theres a 50/50 chance it might start or it might not (if it doesnt start, the dashboard lights become dim again after trying to crank it)..

this what made me believe that it was the alarm behind the steering wheel that maybe is related (plus when my car does start, i tried starting it with the alarm armed, and you can start the car while the alarm going off)...

so i got back there, and there was a loose wire near my alarm, i hooked it up back together and now my alarm works perfectly (car doesnt start when the alarm goes off)

So I thought my car would be fixed from that point on.. it started good 10 times afterwards.. then earlier same problem, it wouldnt crank, and all my dashboards light became dim.. If i hit the steering wheel, the dashboard lights become brighter, but it still wont start, just one click and all my lights are dim again, sometimes it does start again after hitting the steering wheel column.

I then push/roll started my car, because every time i push/start my car, the car would crank again and work properly... and guess what, my car was able to start again, and started with no problems. Arming my alarm, i tried to start the car, and the car wouldnt start, so the alarm is still good.

so honestly what should i do, because i know my car outta no where its not gonna start randomly, and sometimes it will start... been to a mechanic shop a few times already, but theyre having trouble narrowing down where this is located.. now i come to honda-tech to see if theres any suggestions.

so in conclusion.. when my dashboard lights are dim (particularly the battery and the oil).. the car for sure will not start up, and will just click over once, it seems like there isnt enough power or something. After hitting the steering wheel, the battery and oil lights gets brighter, and the car have a greater chance of starting.

thanks for helping me out

Last edited by c|rop3asy==[]; 05-23-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: something near steering column, causes car not to start

So have you tried pulling off the plastics covers and inspecting the wiring or we just smashing the crap out the steering wheel in the meantime? You checked alarm wiring, what other wiring have you checked?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from the bashing of the steering column, This sounds alot like a grounding issue. Ensure that all of your grounds are clean and clear, It's a great first step.

Did you install the alarm yourself, Or did you have a shop do it?

After checking out your grounds, I'd try starting the car. If the issue persists, Do not smack the steering column. Instead, Get under there with a test light and probe the connections your alarm makes with the ignition system. These connections should be soldered, But if they used those crimp caps they are definitely prone to intermittent continuity issues.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Pooping on children

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these cars also have problems with the electrical portion of the ignition switch