Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really.

I am swapping out long blocks on a 5spd '99 civic EX for a customer at work and he supplied his own JDM d15b. I am an EG/EF man myself so I have not dealt with this OBD 2 stuff before so this one is new to me. Bottom line is the D15 has the Dual Vtec solenoid which I have never heard of before today and of course the y8 motor has the normal USDM solenoid we all know and love and I know the EX ECU will only run the single unit which I already installed on the D15.

I can't see why this would not work but just incase there is something I am not thinking about will somebody clarify that this will work w/o problems or codes? the heads looked identical where the solenoids bolt up and I am pretty sure the mechanical/internal parts of the heads are the same as well.

Thanks for any help, searching did not help me with this exact question

Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really. (VtecSyndrome)

you need the proper ecu for the d15b dual v-tec motor. its a jdm ecu and they are tough to get.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really. (abusedhusband

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abusedhusband &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need the proper ecu for the d15b dual v-tec motor. its a jdm ecu and they are tough to get. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Since I am only running the long block it should be no difference other than the Valve train which I am thinking will still work fine on normal Vtec like the EX has, at most I figure the extra locking pins in the rockers for vtec-e would possible be noisey since the would not be activated......though I am just assuming, hence the point of this post. Besides, the D15b ecu would not work on OBD 2 anyway since it's JDM (and runs an EGR valve) and would not pass emissions due to CEL issues.

I highly doubt I need the D15B ecu to run this correctly....somebody else confirm??
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really. (abusedhusband

yeah you do, its the p2j, if you run a y8 eco wire both solenoids together so it goes from 12v to vtec
Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 PM

the d15b is a 0bd2 motor. the dual vtec is actually a economy vtec. at like 2500rmp it opens the first stage to just run4 valves like a normal y8. second stage is like normal vtec on a y8. if you use the motor without the proper ecu it will be ***** slow, but get good gas milage. you would be better off swapping heads if your not going to get the wright ecu.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you can use a p28, but vtec will only engage normally at 6000rpm...

in order to have the full benifits of the 3 stage v-tec, i believe you need a P30 ecu.

the way this engine works is that from 0-3000 rpm the valve train uses 12 or the 16 valves (only 1 intake valve is used) this is the first stage and your engine runs at 12.4:1 A/F.

stage 2 is normal engine operation.. all 16valves are used and engine runs at stoich 14.7:1

stage 3 is 6000 to redline (7200) wildcam engages and you got the v-tec you know and love..

this system is great for fuel economy and is neccessairy for emissions if the vehicle is to pass emission testing
Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackfoot)

...my question is still unanswered I know all about how the D15 works with it's own ECU but again I AM NOT running the dual solenoid since I switched it out with the y8 one. so again I really just want to know if somebody has done this but either way I'll know how it runs in a few hours when I have it all together running.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: (VtecSyndrome)

Glad i ran into this thread. i'm dealing with the same issue, installing the p28 ecu on obd2 d15b w/y8 trans into a 99 DX coupe next week. My friend insisted that the p28 wasnt stock for that engine, and i was skeptical it could work-- think we'll just find a p30.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (No1$HeR0)

Well I got the engine running with no check engine light or any other problems..except..............
The car will not rev over 4,500rpm at all. I'm going to keep at it tomorrow but it looks like we sure enough need to tell the guy he needs another y8 motor to avaid any headaches. Though I am still curiuos if I can run this head on the EX ECU? maybe I need to run the orignal dual vtec solenoid from the D15 but it has a totally different plug and only 2 wires vs. the y8 3 wire solenoid. I know the lower rpm vtec will never work with this ECU but I still feel like it may be possible to run the high vtec cam somehow??........the quest continues..
Old 08-30-2007, 05:22 PM

i wsh i could answer your ? but i never played with this setup. i just did research on it because somebody said dual v-tec and my lightbulb lit up. but anywho the reason the jdm vtec selonoid has 2 wires is because they dont use oil pressure selonoid switch on the vtec selonoid assembly. but by what you are saying there is just one vtec selonoid on that motor. im pretty sure the d15 has tw vtec selonoid housings on the head.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (abusedhusband)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abusedhusband &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wsh i could answer your ? but i never played with this setup. i just did research on it because somebody said dual v-tec and my lightbulb lit up. but anywho the reason the jdm vtec selonoid has 2 wires is because they dont use oil pressure selonoid switch on the vtec selonoid assembly. but by what you are saying there is just one vtec selonoid on that motor. im pretty sure the d15 has tw vtec selonoid housings on the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes the D15B came with the dual vtec solenoid but when I saw the odd style 2 wire plug I was stumped as to how I would run that one so I just used the y8 EX one since it bolted right up and looked the same on the heads.

Basically he car is a '99 civic EX 5spd that came in with a bad rod knock and he brought his own obd2 D15b long block w/o ecu (first time I've ever dealt with this motor) to replace it with. I know the civics pretty well and like most people in my realm of knowledge it seemed pretty straight foward, until I researched and found out about the 3 stage head design.

At this point I just really need to know if I can make this motor work in this guys car w/ the supplied parts meaning no po8 ecu. Maybe running the dual solenoid will work but I do not know where I should wire it to?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:39 PM

what about a msd activator switch to kick vtec at low rpm and have the ex ecu kick in regular vtec. and use the dual vtec selonoid.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Trial User

Icon3 Re: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really.

HELP! I have a US 97 civic HX Mt. I blew the engine, no oil bent rods ect.
I got a d15b Vtec Jdm motor. The dual solenoids is all im thinking about. right now i have the single solenoid on there but i want the dual i feel like im losing a little power or a stage of the engine. its my understanding that the HX and d15b are both 3 stage vtec motors and the ecu should be good for one another correct? well the cars driving right now like this please advise. 1 is my ecu sufficient 2 am i losing anything by not having the dual solenoids and if i am losing how to i wire the dual solenoid to the car to work i see i can splice the green wire to the old solenoid clip. but the red wire........
Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Trial User

Icon2 Re: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really.

ok right now i got a eg dx runing on the d15b dual vitec right now i got the vitec turning on with a switch but the problem is that its not turning both vitec like its suposed to i know its a ecu but i want to know which computer it is because ive heard like 5 different ones??
Old 02-05-2012, 05:11 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really.

Way to revive an old dead thread! Kudos for searching though. The proper ECU for 3-stage VTEC is a P2J.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really.

I know is this an old thread, but I have the D15b and I am running my Y8 Vtec and it is kicking in at 5700 RPM like it should. Kicks butt. I feel I am missing out on the mid range tho. What about a momentary on switch for one of the dual solenoids and letting my ECU kick the other in. Will that work?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
The Grumpiest

No.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ibtl, but are you really trying to wire up 2 vtec solenoids bout dat next lvl dual vtec y0 !

ffs.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

suggestions?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the single from my T*, the d15 came with the 3 stage. Just looking for some mid range..
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not happening with a 1.5L single slammer. boost it or forget it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Micahkennedy
suggestions?
Get the right ECU and manifold and run it like it's supposed to be run. I hope you didn't think that 2 VTEC solenoids gave you twice as much power in VTEC. Really. What was wiring up a switch supposed to do? Trying to understand that thinking.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I hope you didn't think that 2 VTEC solenoids gave you twice as much power in VTEC.

No he really did
Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Get the P2J ecu and run the associated wiring
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this is an old thread but, I Have a 96 ek (ex with the d16y8 origional equip) it now has a d15b. everything works perfectly with the y8 harnes ecu and intake. (auto trans) all you need to do is get one of these.... http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...158/index.html and set your 1st solenoid to hit at 3k. the y8 ecu will take care of the other.

Quick Reply: SOHC tech: obd2 JDM D15b Dual vtec solenoid question, search did not help really.