Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sohc or Dohc better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sohc or Dohc better?

I realize that Dohc is faster than the Sohc but Im not sure why its better. Better tuneablity?

I know that more power is required for the Dohc but how much horsepower do you really gain?

Sohc: 132hp
Dohc: 150hp

I currently have a Sohc D15b7 and Im only getting 105hp. I thought about swapping it for a b16a but isn't there another way to increase the hp without swapping it?

Thanks in advance for those who response.

All comments are appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: Sohc or Dohc better? (actionfigure)

the only real advantage is being able to individually fine tune the intake/exhaust cams with cam gears on a DOHC head.

However the often argument is B16 vs D16.

the main reason that the B16 has more potential is due to the larger piston + shorter stroke that the b16 has. The b16 has a 81mm bore and a 77.4mm stroke. The larger bore allows for larger valves, which allow for larger ports on the cylinder head. With a the B16's 1.73ish r/s ratio, it's built to sustain higher revs. This paired with a high flowing head is how it makes 160hp out of a 1.6 liter.

The D16 however is assbackwards. It has a small piston with a long stroke. It's more of a lower rpm daily driver engine. D16's aren't designed for performance, but because they're so cheap, people are getting creative with extracting power out of them.

A better comparison would be f-series and h-series. For the most part, both of these engines can share the same bore/stroke. If you dig deeper, the only time it really makes a different is when you're tuning and you want to individually change the overlap of intake/exhaust cams. Check out bisimoto's build if you wanna see a powerful SOHC honda.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sohc or Dohc better? (actionfigure)

what stock SOHC has 132hp? guessing that you are talking about stock.
spend sometime in the search forum, being that this question has been asked like a million times.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It really depends on what you are planning to do with the car. If your talking all motor, Dohc is alot more fun. But, If you have a sohc and you turbo it than the all motor dohc will get fucked. My buddy has a turbo single cam and kills my dual cam!!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Sohc or Dohc better? (philosofy1)

Well the ZC has 130hp (my best guess) i have heard everything from 127 to 135 for the SOHC.

Im going to say that the DOHC motor has bigger ports and more agressive cams than the Single slammer.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (QuickDxEk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by QuickDxEk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It really depends on what you are planning to do with the car. If your talking all motor, Dohc is alot more fun. But, If you have a sohc and you turbo it than the all motor dohc will get fucked. My buddy has a turbo single cam and kills my dual cam!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) I/H/E is not all motor.

2.) they must not know how to drive

3.) a turbo SOHC doesn't have a chance against a real "all motor" build.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3.) a turbo SOHC doesn't have a chance against a real "all motor" build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on what you call a turbo SOHC...

if its stock with a bolt-on/homemade turbo, it wont stand a chance. But
If its a built Turbo motor with P&P head, and all the goodies I have yet to see a built N/A dual cam be one in terms of power.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3.) a turbo SOHC doesn't have a chance against a real "all motor" build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please show me a 450whp all motor honda. I could build a 800whp turbo SOHC if I wanted to.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LowSlow93Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LowSlow93Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Depends on what you call a turbo SOHC...

if its stock with a bolt-on/homemade turbo, it wont stand a chance. But
If its a built Turbo motor with P&P head, and all the goodies I have yet to see a built N/A dual cam be one in terms of power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just for the record, i'm not degrading SOHC (for the SOHC lovers). i think done right they can be a awesome engine to work with, but on a educated guess, what's the average a SOHC turbo, done right, can put out as far as HP?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

please show me a 450whp all motor honda. I could build a 800whp turbo SOHC if I wanted to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

800WHP huh, well then please do.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 PM

For a stock block and internals there is a guy on here running 273WHP (I think) Has a compression lowering head gasket and head studs. pretty impressive considering there is nothing done to the internals of the motor.

The average for the basic single cam with a good tune is about 200-220whp safely.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just for the record, i'm not degrading SOHC (for the SOHC lovers). i think done right they can be a awesome engine to work with, but on a educated guess, what's the average a SOHC turbo, done right, can put out as far as HP?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you realize that you can get vitaras for $120ish, tt rods for $225, arp head studs for $90 and a set of ACLs for $100 and have a block that is able to hold 350whp. I've seen many turbo D's hit 450whp. I've yet to see any all motor honda make that kind of power all motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">800WHP huh, well then please do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

F22 is SOHC.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LowSlow93Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LowSlow93Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The average for the basic single cam with a good tune is about 200-220whp safely.</TD></TR></TABLE>

impressive. most impressive.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM

How can you get 200hp from a good tune?

You mean I can get 105 to 200hp with a good tune?

What do you consider a good tune?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you realize that you can get vitaras for $120ish, tt rods for $225, arp head studs for $90 and a set of ACLs for $100 and have a block that is able to hold 350whp. I've seen many turbo D's hit 450whp. I've yet to see any all motor honda make that kind of power all motor.

F22 is SOHC. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i never knew they can hit 450whp.

and i wasn't really considering the f22 since the op currently has a d15.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never knew they can hit 450whp.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go to d-series.org or something similar and check out the vitara piston/rods setups.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: (actionfigure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by actionfigure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How can you get 200hp from a good tune?

You mean I can get 105 to 200hp with a good tune?

What do you consider a good tune?

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well basically three things really; a turbo, chrome ecu, and a good tuner. mind you power is NEVER cheap. But boosting a single cam is often better than a swap depending on what you want to do with the car.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1.) I/H/E is not all motor.

2.) they must not know how to drive

3.) a turbo SOHC doesn't have a chance against a real "all motor" build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you kidding?? Intake, header, and exhaust is part of all motor because there is no turbo/forced induction behind it. What does driving have to do with anything?? You stick a stock greddy kit w/intercooler boosting 6 psi-Unless you cant drive the car should high 14s. I love people that think everycar is the same and say something cant be done. Nobody also mentioned comparing two built motors!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (QuickDxEk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by QuickDxEk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you kidding?? Intake, header, and exhaust is part of all motor because there is no turbo/forced induction behind it. What does driving have to do with anything?? You stick a stock greddy kit w/intercooler boosting 6 psi-Unless you cant drive the car should high 14s. I love people that think everycar is the same and say something cant be done. Nobody also mentioned comparing two built motors!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

no i'm not kidding. when i personally consider a all motor, it has to have some type of internals done.

driving as everything to do with it. i've seen fast cars lose to the under dog, all because the driver had no skills.

your wrong when you stated about "people thinking all cars are the same". well they are not, maybe you didn't read my posts.

and if any one was comparing motors it was you.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DOHC of course if you have $$, SOHC if your on a budget, nuff said.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

d series turbo FTW.

a decent turbo setup can be had for the same price as a stock b series swap.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no offense philosophy1 but you've been talking alot of ****. just read this

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1722429

after u read and see this maybe u will change your mind. like i said im not trying to start anything but you need to look into it a little bit more.i was actually planning on doing a b16 swap and then i read that.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stupid question but wtf does FTW mean?
sorry to interupt.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

i thought it meant "For The Win" like...D16ftw yaknow as in better choice. I like the d16s. Bascially cuz they are cheaper and are in abundunce. I know a lot of people down here running good times with a z6 and some boost and when/if they blow the motor they have one within a week or less ready to go in- no problem. Ive heard of a z6 on boost with stock everything turning out some good hp/tq numbers on dyno and impressive times at the track *epic tuning if im correct*, wouldn't hurt to beef it up a bit and raise the boost. Price is another factor. I haven't bought a b16 or anything else- but we just got our Z6 swap with ex/si tranny/wiring harness for 175 here in texas, but that was a steal- they go for about 200-350 depending. Its up to the owner how much power/money and what your goals are.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: (Carnage86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stupid question but wtf does FTW mean?
sorry to interupt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For The Win

Quick Reply: Sohc or Dohc better?