Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Si Coupe Re-Build . . . . . . Will I Ever Learn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Si Coupe Re-Build . . . . . . Will I Ever Learn?

Starting next Month (November) I am putting my Car away at my Girlfriends Mother House and commencing a build-up for the upcoming Race Season. I plan on attending many Auto-X, Driving Schools, and Road Racing Events, and after the 1 Event I did this past September, I now know what improvements my Car needs in order to perform at its best.

What I have in mind is too basically start with the simple/cheap stuff (work that can be done with minimal to no money at all) then later work on the other stuff that will require more Money. Theres a lot of current stuff that needs to be fixed and cleaned up. Then theres the other part of the build where I will compile the rest of the parts needed to 100% Complete the Car.

In the next couple of Months, things should start to get REAL interesting. I'm going to be doing things ranging from New simple bolt-ons, Wire Tucking, Race Preparation, custom Front and Rear Splitters, and other things to get ready for next Year. My Goal, if I can complete it, is to have a Car that is 100% ready to perform well at any Road Race that I attend. All of the elements will be there, Suspension, Braking, Power, and don't forget, Driving Skills (those will be worked on when the Season begins an I get some seat time with an instructor at some Driving Schools)

So . . . check back as frequent as possible because in the next Week or so I should start things up and have plenty of pictures and info on the Project.

Ant
Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si Coupe Re-Build . . . . . . Will I Ever Learn? (AntMan401)

Good luck with the build im in the process of doing the same as soon as ive got the money behind me
Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Phase I: the Easier/Cheap Stuff

Heres what I have planned for the next Month or 2.

Motor/Trans will be Removed along with the Power Steering and Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoirs. The Whole Assembly will be thoroughly cleaned and possibly Painted. A minor Wire Tuck. Nothing too crazy since this Car is going to be Raced, but there are some Wiring that needs to be cleaned up a little. I'm also going to be building a Battery Relocation kit to put my Battery in the Trunk. I'm also going to wire up a Kill Switch that will be mounted on the Rear Bumper. I need to make some better Upper and Lower Radiator Brackets to secure my GSR Radiator. I need to pick up some Upper and Lower Timing Belt Covers because I lost mine. I'll probably cut the upper one to get access/show-off the Cam Gears Finish my Valve Cover. For a while now my Hondata has been acting up. The Red LED Light constantly blinks. According to Hondata there may be an issue with the Interface Box. I am unable to get a Connection when attempting to connect to the Interface Box and that could cause some issues int he future when I want to Re-Tune the Motor. So while the Motors out and I have some down time, I'm going to ship out my ECU and Interface Box and see whats up. I also want to build some type of ECU Mounting Bracket. Kind of like the Mugen Bracket for the K Series ECU's.

Other stuff consists of regular routine Maintenance like a new Head Gasket, Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wires, Fresh Oil change, Trans Fluid change, and Coolant Flush. You know, the basic ****.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:49 AM

UPDATE

Took the Car for one last ride last night to see if anymore problems would pop up out of hiding and out of nowhere, my Battery light went on. I'm so happy it happened 10 seconds from my House. I first noticed that my Volts Gauge was reading 10 then the Battery Light went on. Made it Home, parked the Car, and shut it off. Started it and it did start up but was very hesitant. Light was still on. I did also notice that while I was driving it, the Alternator Belt was squealing on and off. I wonder since the Car sat in the cold for a couple weeks without being driven if the belt got so cold and is bad.

Well, tweaking should hopefully commence this Weekend.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (AntMan401)

I wanna see some detailed pics!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rleonekc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wanna see some detailed pics!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree... some crazy stuff going on in Rhode Island it seems.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:06 AM

I'll post up pics when I begin. Theres a small delay because where my Car was supposed to be stored is not happening anymore so I have to see if my Parents will let me keep the Car in their Garage.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:21 AM

UPDATE

Just moved my Car to its new Home for the Winter. My Driveway! Its all the way at the back of the Driveway with a Tarp running across the Fences on each side. Nice little homemade Garage.

I inspected the Alternator to find out what was wrong and I found the problem. The Alternator Belt is no longer there lol. I donno what the expletive happened. Might of been all dry rotted and snapped off.

Let the build begin!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe a daily driver should be in your budget?

Good luck. Just remember, Think first, Mod second.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 PM

I can barely afford this Car and modding it, never mind a daily. We have my Girl Friends Car and I have a Company Van.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AntMan401 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can barely afford this Car and modding it, never mind a daily. We have my Girl Friends Car and I have a Company Van.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well...then maybe you really shouldn't build the car as an all out race car. It's more likely that you're going to do the majority of the driving on the street with this vehicle. Your options are to drive a car with no PS no AC, polyurethane mounts, hard bushings, and a stiff suspension on the street. Or...drive a van....Why make yourself miserable?

If you mod conservatively, you can have tons of fun on the street and on HPDE days. What setup did you have in mind anyway (suspension/motor/etc.)? Is it street able?

Remember how I recommended to "think first, mod second"? I've seen too many people buy race parts for their street cars. The car rolls like ****...and they get sick of it. Before you start doing stuff, ask yourself "street car or race car?" You can have one or you can have the other.

If you set up your street car properly with some good, flexible, versatile mods, you can kill on the track as well. My street cars always do VERY well on the track. Learning to drive is important as well lol.

Well, good luck either way
Old 11-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto-x is fun.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 AM

Ummmm. I WANT to build the Car like this. I have already "thought first, and now moding second" I don't do the majority of the driving on the street. I NEVER drive the Car . . ever. I work all day therefore use the Company Van. When I come Home, I'm home for good. I don't leave the House. I don't put my Daughter in the Car. I also CAN'T use the Van for anything else other then Work. the Van is GPS'd so they can track every movement I make. So I won't be miserable driving a car that rolls like **** all the time or a van.

Put it this way, since I've had a Company Van for the past couple of Months, I've put about 20 miles on the Car. That was me moving it back and forth out of the driveway and once going to school&gt; I usually take the Van but it was in for repairs . . I had no choice.

Thank you for being concerned about how my Car is going to drive but lets stray away from why i am building my Car because I know what I want and how I want to do it. If you don't know don't assume also.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AntMan401 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ummmm. I WANT to build the Car like this. I have already "thought first, and now moding second" I don't do the majority of the driving on the street. I NEVER drive the Car . . ever. I work all day therefore use the Company Van. When I come Home, I'm home for good. I don't leave the House. I don't put my Daughter in the Car. I also CAN'T use the Van for anything else other then Work. the Van is GPS'd so they can track every movement I make. So I won't be miserable driving a car that rolls like **** all the time or a van.

Put it this way, since I've had a Company Van for the past couple of Months, I've put about 20 miles on the Car. That was me moving it back and forth out of the driveway and once going to school&gt; I usually take the Van but it was in for repairs . . I had no choice.

Thank you for being concerned about how my Car is going to drive but lets stray away from why i am building my Car because I know what I want and how I want to do it. If you don't know don't assume also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good Luck on the Build, don't let cry baby honda-tech stop you from building
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM

I'm looking at the list of things I want to get done this Weekend and I am having trouble figuring out exactly what I am going to do with this problem. Let me start from the beginning.

I have my Water Temp Gauge hooked up via a Greddy Water Temperature Radiator Hose Adapter. You know, the little Adapter that goes in between the Upper Radiator Hose then the sending unit gets screwed into it. I used the Brass Sending Unit that came with the Autometer Phantom Water Temp Gauge. Its screwed into the Adapter and a Power Wire is run from the top of the Sending Unit to the back of the Gauge. At first it never worked. I finally figured out that I had to have a Ground Wire coming from the back of the Gauge then to the Base of the Sending Unit. Then the Gauge started to work. I don't like the way I have the Ground Wire hooked up. I have the Wire stripped, then wrapped around the Base of the Sending Unit and then Taped on with Electrical Tape. The Electrical Tape gets all soft and un sticky with all the heat under the hood and always falls off. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up this Ground Wire but in a much more clean way. I was thinking about having a little metal rod attached to the Base (welded, soldered, whatever works best) then I can just crimp a nice little wire connector to it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Your probably all wicked confused lol