Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Should i attempt to change my transmission fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Should i attempt to change my transmission fluid??

I did a thread on this not too long ago....

theres a semi-myth that goes around - that as far as I can tell refers to older domestic vehicles, that if you wait TOO long to change the Auto trans fluid, it will ruin the trans- the thought behind it, is that the new fluid + detergents will actually eat away the seals and do more damage then good.

To sum up my post- my old man told me NEVER to change the ATF after never doing it for 100+ miles, because he took his car to a shop and they refused to do it, citing- if they do it now, itd ruin it and he'd have to change the trans. This was in 1994 or there abouts when the shop told him this.

In my own personal experience, a kid I know (with an old 1987 K5 blazer) dropped his pan, filter and did a drain/refill and about a week later, was putting a new tranny in the car- No clue if its actually related, but it is real close.

Anyhow- after readin on here, and securing a replacement Transmission- I said F it...and changed my ATF (with the honda genuine fluid)

Dropped the plug- and gosh, it literally appeared as if I dunked the plug in anti-seize. A ton of metal shavings and crap all over it. Took 2 rags to clean it off 100%.

Anyhow....changed it....since, put roughly 6k miles on it. Runs better then new- shifts like butter. Didnt hurt a thing.

So-----I say ...DO it- it wont hurt.

Id say if you have a car manufactured prior to "long life trans fluid" you shouldnt try it- but anything before....lets say 96....just change it, it only helps.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjaturtleEG
He doesnt beleive us because he thinks if he changes his fluid, his tranny will blow into a million peices with deadly shrapnel killing everyone around in 100ft radius.
I trust the people on here. I didn`t think that people would keep posting in this thread after I said thanks.

I haven`t got around to changing it yet because I live in a complex that doesn`t allow any type of car work that involves fluid. I am moving at the end of this month, so I will be able to do it then. I just wanted a few opinions on if I should, which I got and I appreciate.

I don`t understand why I`m getting ragged on because I am unsure if it would be safe to do so after all this time. I must of have missed something...

But for those who DID answer my question and ease my nerves, thanks.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blacknight-

In college my apt was like that- they'd get riled up about any car work....
so what I did was this...Id get a gallon jug (usually like an ice tea container) saw off the top oh 12% or so, so the handle is still intact...just in essence making the top bigger...

Then Id go out to my car real early in the morning on a sunday....slide the cut jug under my car to my oil pan- reach a wrench up, drop the drain plug- let the oil drop out, (it usually takes like a minute or so) re-insert the plug. Then take the jug, toss it in a walmart bag-- keepin it upright, and then toss in 4 quarts- and be done with it.

It never took me more then 5 mins - if you park at the back of the lot and you do it at a weird time- like early sunday morning, unless you got neighbors that hate you, or stare out their windows...you should be golden.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tranny fluid should be changed everyy 20,xxx miles. why you would leave the SAME fluid in your vehicle for a decade is beyond me. change it or replace your tranny in the next few years your choice lol
Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honda_hackett
tranny fluid should be changed everyy 20,xxx miles. why you would leave the SAME fluid in your vehicle for a decade is beyond me. change it or replace your tranny in the next few years your choice lol
Especially on automatics. With a gear box, you can easily double it's life span. But it's best to do a routine maintenance. Cough up $50 dollars or so and have Honda do it for you. You might need a full flush. Just not the normal drain and fill.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
Especially on automatics. With a gear box, you can easily double it's life span. But it's best to do a routine maintenance. Cough up $50 dollars or so and have Honda do it for you. You might need a full flush. Just not the normal drain and fill.
Even honda doesnt reco a full flush---

just saying. Drain and fills only.