Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

safe to reuse head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default safe to reuse head bolts?

Is it safe to reuse head bolts? Im puttin in a new headgasket and my 2 local dealers want $105 for the set. i dont feel like dishin out that cash for some headbolts when i can get Head studs for the same price. i have to put this new headgasket in this weekend. I got coolant leaking out of the head
Old 11-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (JDMlyfestyle)

its recommended that you replace them everytime you take them out. I and many others have reused them multiple times without any problems.

*Recommended not to reuse them*
Old 11-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1050985
I reused headbolts...and thats what happened.

I reuse'd headbolts for my mini me, and everything was fine for 18 months until I boosted. I think you'll be okay using them for N/A...definitely don't go out and buy new headbolts. ARP headstuds are only like $100 and i'd highly recommend them if you have the cash.

Check out the lightning motorsports special for HT members on ARP stuff: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=598414
Old 11-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (BauleyCivic)

lets rephrase this then, for an all stock its been fine for me, didn't mention turbo or spraying or built motor in that case why even take a chance
Old 11-12-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (doublejz)

i personally wouldn't reuse head bolts. i did it once and 3 months later i ended up with what Bauly had, and that was N/A. i got my arp head studs from Tunertoys for $85, you might want to check with them. after my head gasket crapped out, i was kicking myself in the *** for not doing it the right time... in the long run you save money on head gaskets, fluid and your own time.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 AM

i just picked up ARP head studs and headgasket from Prostreet. Should i copper spray the gasket or leave it alone? while the head is off im going to have 3 thou milled off just for safety purposes and performance wise as well
Old 11-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Should i copper spray the gasket or leave it alone?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like to install headgaskets dry (aka: no sprays, sealants).

About the reuse of head bolts, It is more like installer error than the bolts fault. I have reuse bolts many times with no problems (on boosted motors too). Reguardless, studs &gt; bolts
Old 11-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just picked up ARP head studs and headgasket from Prostreet. Should i copper spray the gasket or leave it alone? while the head is off im going to have 3 thou milled off just for safety purposes and performance wise as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got my arp headstuds from prostreet also...good people

I copper sprayed my gasket...because it was recommended by all of the sohc ninjas. I sprayed one coat on both sides, let it dry 30 sec, sprayed another coat on, put it on, then put the head over it. Be careful that ish gets everywhere and is really sticky! (Wish I could think of a better way to say it, but I can't)
Old 11-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could you? sure. but you probably shouldnt. kinda like thinking about reusing a condom. sure it might hold out but you could be f L| cked if it doesnt.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but you probably shouldnt. kinda like thinking about reusing a condom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was the worst analogy i've ever read.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:43 PM

that is soooo true. i use one condom for a whole weekend of whoring around and im still healthy as an ox. besides this weird lump on the side of my neck and these purple and green bumps on my junk. the burning sensation when i pee is perfectly normal so dont feed me any ****. And yes ive been checked out. My hepititis came back great i got 2 A's 1 B and 3 C's

LOL i was joking ^^^^
Old 11-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That was the worst analogy i've ever read.</TD></TR></TABLE>

heh thought you might like it.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (monicle)

Most honda head bolts are torque to yeld fastners which mean they strech when they are tourqued to a certain amount. this causes them to be significantly weaker when re used because they don't have any tensil strength
Old 11-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (Jago)

Pretty much all bolts are torque to yield though. That's what keeps a bolt tight, you stretch it and it stays stretched. When you loosen them, they tend to snap back to the original length.

Honda's real **** about replacing bolts. If you look at the manual you'll see you're supposed to replace every suspension nut and many bolts each time you take them off. Some of that might be because Honda (and japanese cars in general) tend to be just barely strong enough for the job. Some of it might be liability.

For something like the head, I tend to follow the directions to the letter. It's too much hastle to have to do it over again.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: safe to reuse head bolts? (MasterKwan)

I have reused mine for about 8 months, then I went with ARP headstuds. From what I've heard and experience, no one actually goes out and buy brand new head bolts. (Because studs are the same price if not cheaper!) And everyone that used their old bolts on a NA setup never had a problem.

However I would never reuse a headgasket. I had bad luck with headgaskets and blowing them.
I know this was not a part of your question but it seems like many people who replied had input or concerns about the headgasket.