Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

P28 on D16Y5

Old 03-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P28 on D16Y5

I know the general consensus has been that a P28 will make a Y5 (HX) run like ****. What I want to know is, would that ""****" be fixable through chipping/tuning? I am going to re-turbo the Y5 but I refuse to run an FMU or the AFC Hack. So Uberdata, etc would be the next logical solution except for the fact that I need to convert to OBDI.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: P28 on D16Y5 (specv5150)

Do you still have the Y5 comp? If so, I think it'd be more practical to chip that, seeing as how the HX has a different type of vtec, leaning more toward fuel efficiency than performance.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P28 on D16Y5 (jeef84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeef84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you still have the Y5 comp? If so, I think it'd be more practical to chip that, seeing as how the HX has a different type of vtec, leaning more toward fuel efficiency than performance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You cannot chip OBDII from what I understand
Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just something to further the discussion. Uberdata FAQ says all you need is an OBDI ECU. So it could be possible to get the D15Z1 ECU. Also doesnt the D15B (JDM) operate under the same VTEC-E as the Z1 and Y5. Would a P06 (I think thats it) work?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (specv5150)

Bump for curiousity.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P28 on D16Y5 (specv5150)

Bump before work. I know there are a couple knowledgable Y5 people out there....I forget their names though. This is the deciding factor as to if I go tubo again or not.

Aan I dont think the JDM ECU is P06......maybe P08?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:19 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

p08 is for the 125hp d15b
p06 is for the d15b7 usdm lx/dx engines
i think a p07 would be the vtec-e obd1 ecu.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

I know that someone on turbd16.com is running uberdata on their y5. So it has been done.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dctoast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dctoast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know that someone on turbd16.com is running uberdata on their y5. So it has been done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll try there. I was hoping for some H-T love though. I don't frequent those "other" forums. If I find some info, I'll definately keep the HT Y5ers in teh loop. We need to show people you can do more than just swap the HX

edit: the search function on that site BLOWS!!!

Modified by specv5150 at 4:56 PM 3/3/2005
Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 PM

yea their search function sucks, i wish i knew what his name was on their cause i had a few question to ask, as i am going to be switching to uberdata or neptune in a few months.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dctoast)

The VTEC solenoid still operates on the same current, right? Take that P28, set that chip to engage vtec at 2800 and have some fun.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mistamike17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The VTEC solenoid still operates on the same current, right? Take that P28, set that chip to engage vtec at 2800 and have some fun.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The more experienced guys said the P28 would make the VTEC-E run liek **** becuase of the different fuel maps. Which is why I wondered if that was something that could be fixed with chipping and tuning. If it is as simple as me getting a conversion harbess, chipping the P28 to run some kind of management and tuning it to run the same way it does, I will be the guinea pig and try it. If I blow the engien oh well. I just dont want to spend the money on the conversion harness and P28 only to have it run like **** still. Nor do I want to convert to a Z6 or Y8 head
Old 03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's all this more experienced guys bullshit? Just remember that anything can be tuned. The idea with the lean burn in the bottom end of the HX is so as to not flood out the engine on the lesser amount of air since the nub of a cam lobe sucks ***** below 3k. Run it lean below 2.8k, run a bigger turbo that spools up a bit slower and doesn't reach full boost until like 4k and you'll be in biz...
Old 03-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's all this more experienced guys bullshit? Just remember that anything can be tuned. The idea with the lean burn in the bottom end of the HX is so as to not flood out the engine on the lesser amount of air since the nub of a cam lobe sucks ***** below 3k. Run it lean below 2.8k, run a bigger turbo that spools up a bit slower and doesn't reach full boost until like 4k and you'll be in biz...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm more experienced with the HX. I have not used a P28 on a HX motor. I know some other people have. And I would like to know what makes it not run optimally and what if anything can be done to tune it to run optimally. I am not going to go spend all this money on a conversion harness and P28 on the advice of a guy who boguht a Fields VAFC and has no clue what it does. No offense.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:34 PM
egizzle8

I run an HX head on a z6 shortblock on a chipped P28(vtec-5.5k/redline-9k) and it drives perfectly normal with no bogging or shitty gas mileage. I just had the chip laying around but I would like the vtec activation to be set lower like 3-4k maybe but once 5.5k comes around it's like night and day. I love this head better then any other sohc head. If you don't know the y5 has the most aggressive primary lobe out of all the vtec cam's. Once you ditch that ecu and all the obd2 **** then you don't have to worry about the lean burn ****. I just runs on 3 valves till vtec and then it's like heaven. You can feel and hear the once it activates unlike the z6 or y8 where you gotta actually really listen for it to activate. It's y5 heads for me now. I also don't see why Web cams couldn't do a regrind on it. I may call them up since noone makes a aftermarket cam for the y5 roller rockers.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egizzle8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egizzle8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run an HX head on a z6 shortblock on a chipped P28(vtec-5.5k/redline-9k) and it drives perfectly normal with no bogging or shitty gas mileage. I just had the chip laying around but I would like the vtec activation to be set lower like 3-4k maybe but once 5.5k comes around it's like night and day. I love this head better then any other sohc head. If you don't know the y5 has the most aggressive primary lobe out of all the vtec cam's. Once you ditch that ecu and all the obd2 **** then you don't have to worry about the lean burn ****. I just runs on 3 valves till vtec and then it's like heaven. You can feel and hear the once it activates unlike the z6 or y8 where you gotta actually really listen for it to activate. It's y5 heads for me now. I also don't see why Web cams couldn't do a regrind on it. I may call them up since noone makes a aftermarket cam for the y5 roller rockers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm good info. Why does everyone say the HX will run liek **** with a P28 though??? The block cant make that much of a difference......I doubt it makes a difference at all. While I was washing my car just now I decided to say **** it and try it anyway. So are you running a 4wire for the P28? I'll probably start a thread once I begin the conversion, turbo and tuning.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, **** you. I know what I am talking about and I know what a VAFC does, but I wasn't sure how to wire it up to the HX ECU since it doesn't have a VTEC-E application. I believe we're in the same boat here, bud. We're both looking for some sort of FM, but we're not sure what we can do with the HX. We're both exploring uncharted waters pretty much.

I don't post on here a lot because I don't want to put up with **** like this. I've done research since day one about the HX and I know enough to know that you shouldn't have any problem running a P28 on any car, whether its VTEC-E or not. Like I said in the simplified version above, reset the chip so that the VTEC engages lower than the usual 5500 and try to rewire the 5 wire to a 4 wire or just ditch the 5 wire altogether and get a narrowband 4 wire. Also, the EGR may give you a bit of a problem since I don't believe the P28 is set up for it. If you run a resistor in circuit with the EGR valve, I believe you can bypass it without a problem. Hell, since its not set up for it, it may not even give you a problem at all. You'll have to ask the guy who has the P28. Other than that, the VTEC-E HX isn't much different than any other single cam sans the roller rockers. If you're not willing to spend the money on a new conversion harness, try to find a used one in the classified section. Someone has to have one for sale in there for cheaper.

The biggest fear from HXers about the P28 is the gap between the usual P2N's VTEC engagement point and the P28's. People think that with it running lean, it will bog down, but that has been cleared up for us by egizzle8. I would be willing to bet that the P28's more agressive fuel map makes up for the VTEC engaging higher.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off, **** you. I know what I am talking about and I know what a VAFC does, but I wasn't sure how to wire it up to the HX ECU since it doesn't have a VTEC-E application. I believe we're in the same boat here, bud. We're both looking for some sort of FM, but we're not sure what we can do with the HX. We're both exploring uncharted waters pretty much.

I don't post on here a lot because I don't want to put up with **** like this. I've done research since day one about the HX and I know enough to know that you shouldn't have any problem running a P28 on any car, whether its VTEC-E or not. Like I said in the simplified version above, reset the chip so that the VTEC engages lower than the usual 5500 and try to rewire the 5 wire to a 4 wire or just ditch the 5 wire altogether and get a narrowband 4 wire. Also, the EGR may give you a bit of a problem since I don't believe the P28 is set up for it. If you run a resistor in circuit with the EGR valve, I believe you can bypass it without a problem. Hell, since its not set up for it, it may not even give you a problem at all. You'll have to ask the guy who has the P28. Other than that, the VTEC-E HX isn't much different than any other single cam sans the roller rockers. If you're not willing to spend the money on a new conversion harness, try to find a used one in the classified section. Someone has to have one for sale in there for cheaper.

The biggest fear from HXers about the P28 is the gap between the usual P2N's VTEC engagement point and the P28's. People think that with it running lean, it will bog down, but that has been cleared up for us by egizzle8. I would be willing to bet that the P28's more agressive fuel map makes up for the VTEC engaging higher.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take your panties out of a bunch. I said no offense. I am not going to argue with you about something as gay as what you meant by your post. You said "what the hell does it do." How else can that be interpreted? And I HAVE turboed my HX before and know what the AFC does because I was running the AFC Hack. I am just trying to move the next step up in FM. I wasnt trying to be a dick. Just statign how I felt.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, I meant the tabs on the back of the unit, not the AFC itself. If you look at it, I said they, meaning the tabs. My bad, I guess. It's an Air Fuel Controller. It controls the Air/Fuel mixture. Come on, give me a little credit here.

Anyway, let's get this figured out for you. I'm turboing soon enough and I would also like to know so that I could maybe run Uberdata on my own car.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:54 AM
egizzle8

I just put the head on like I was replacing the head or just doing a headgasket change. Use the hx cam gear and just swapped over my z6 intake manifold. The only thing that makes it different from a z6 longblock is the head. I didn't change anything with the swap of the two heads. People make this out more then it actually is. It's the ecu that make's it a vtec-e otherwise it's just another vtec engine that runs on 3v's until vtec is activated then the 4th kicks in. People make this engine seem like it came from a damn UFO or something.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egizzle8)

I've noticed that UFO thing also. Everyone rags on it like its a POS. I told one of my buddies that works at a performance local shop as the head tech and has owned just about every Honda under the sun that I was going to turbo my engine and he said that I needed to swap it because that engine was useless. I was like ok... no. People knock it before they've done any research about it. Sure, they don't make a performance cam for it, but damn, the cam in there is pretty damn agressive. If you take out the lean stuff, open up that IM, and get the cat out of the header, it wouldn't be a problem to see 130 whp on this car with basic bolt ons. I've read that someone ran a P28 with uberdata on their HX with IHE and a ported intake mani and made 140 whp all motor. Now tell me that doesn't rock.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't read everything in the thread but I get the general Idea.

The only reason I would ever switch from the Y5 I already have (if I owned one still) would be for a N/A application.

Boost the Y5.

Now for the ECU bit, as long as you go P28 and some sort of A/F tuning capability even a VAFC and work with that on a dyno so you don't run that bad boy too lean or rich, you'll be fine.

Personally, I loved the midrange torque the Y5 has over the other D16s. It wasn't much but it's there and then when you mix a Y5 with a EX tranny, you're golden.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spade)

Oh thank you Mighty Spade. You are the master of the HX. Good to see you gettin in here and helpin us out. Thanks a bunch. I'm keeping my tranny for when I get the boost. Longer gears means more spoolage. Gotta love that 5th gear highway driving too.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh thank you Mighty Spade. You are the master of the HX. Good to see you gettin in here and helpin us out. Thanks a bunch. I'm keeping my tranny for when I get the boost. Longer gears means more spoolage. Gotta love that 5th gear highway driving too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your choice
&lt;--just drove a snail powered EX this weekend.....short gears were not an issue
Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Location: Kills Official Truck Quality Assurance Manager, USA
Default Re: (Spade)

The EX tranny was a hell of a lot nicer than my HX tranny I rocked for a while. Even with the EX tranny I still believe you will get more out of that snail than with the HX.

That HX tranny falls on its face in 5th.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P28 on D16Y5