Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Roof rack fitment Yakima, Thule

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof rack fitment Yakima, Thule

Ok just wondering what yall have had luck with in mounting a roof rack on 96-2000 Civic coupes. Yakima calls for Q69 and Q70 fit kit for the Q towers but the SST towers and Y clips are much more available and less costly. SST was discontinued in 96 though so they dont officially sell a Y clip for 96-2000 Civics.

Anyone use the SST roof rack kit with the stretch kit and actually know what Y clips you used?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Roof rack fitment Yakima, Thule

Have you tried the appearance section? Lots of non-riding *** fools install these to go along with their purple 16x10 +0 XXR's. As a cyclist....I find it highly offensive.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I wasnt sure where would be best but personally I NEED this for my mountain bike. My EM1 has the stock wing which prohibits a trunk mount bike carrier and I question a reese hitch working with the exhaust and/or OEM Si rear lip. I will probably have my Trek on the roof most of the week. Currently my 2 options are throw it in the wife's Oddy (which means I have to go home first from work) or lay the seats down and fight to get it in the trunk.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer putting the bike in the trunk rather than a roof rack....if you're just carrying a single bike. You have to get the bike on the roof and strap it down....which seems like more trouble than the trunk. Plus your bike is essentially left outside unsecured unless you lock it in.

Getting into low parking garages and drive thru's is another factor where the roof rack loses.

I carry my MTB/road bike everywhere I need to via my TSX. But...my GF did buy a new SUV so that we could carry 2 bikes if we needed. So I'm in the same boat as you.

Personally, I'd rather fold seats. I'm the type of weirdo that has to have a white-glove test interior at all times....so I keep a blanket in the car to lay down before the bike goes in.

It's a hassle either way. I just see a lot of downsides to roof racks. They're kind of ugly too....
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3 kids so having to get bike in\out and mess with the seats constantly would be a pain. Its safe on my roof while at work during the day and since I am 6'3" to me placing it on the roof seems easier than fighting and twisting it into the trunk, then out again....then there is the dirt and crap unless I come up with a nice cover like a blanket. Which I did try once, it just gets pulled and twisted by the pedals. Even removing the front wheel, putting it in the trunk just sucks lol. I dont know, there are trade offs both ways, I just know I tired the trunk and it was a pain as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I've got a rack that helps me haul around skis and bikes... I've never had trouble putting a bike on a roof: takes 2 mins or less. I put a U-lock around the frame and the roof rack if it's going to be on there any length of time.

Typically for coupes and hatches you need the short extension bars for the rear part of the rack.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats the stretch kit I mentioned above, it actually requires a different fit kit for the rear as they mount to the stretch kit and not the rear towers. I am hoping someone has done an older Yakima SST kit and knows what fit kit they got away with using.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will keep this updated since there does not appear to be anyone online providing this information. I have 2 Y clip fit kits and I have the SST towers and SST stretch kit. Should have the bars tonight so I should be installing this tonight hopefully. I plan on just modifying the Y clips that I have, they are so similar in design from one to another, basically perfectly fit per car\truck. From what I can tell it should be a non-issue to bend these a bit and position the towers so that it all fits.....I hope so at least lol