Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing SRS steering wheel, and installing intermitent wipers

Old 03-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing SRS steering wheel, and installing intermitent wipers

Ok, so today I started my intermittent wiper project. I have read threads about it being a plug and play deal, but IT IS NOT. Ones without the intermitent wipers, do not have the plug in the back of the switch. Now, chances are that it is taped up under the dash, with the power mirror and sunroof switchs, I have seen them, but in my time constraints, I couldn't look around for it. So I will update this when I find it....

This how to can be used to say replace your steering wheel with a new high speed one, or do the intermitent wiper "mod" or just or some maintance under there, but are nervous about playing with your SRS.

First step is to disconnect BOTH positive (+) and negative (-) from you battery...

Now, smoke a stog, have a coke, call a friend whatever, but you have to wait three (3) minutes for the power to drain out of the system before you go messing around in there.

Ok, now under your steering wheel there is a small access panel right underneath, there is one crosstip screw holding it in. remove screw, and pop out panel...

You'll see a red clip held into the piece you removed, take that out. Now look in there and you'll see a yellow connector, plug it and plug the steering wheel side into the red clip.

Now pop the two small panels off either side of the steering wheel. This will allow access to the two (2) 30 bit Torx bolts, remove these...

On the right side one, you need to unscrew the cruise control plug cover, there are two small crosstip screws. I started without removing this, and it is a pain, remove it...

Now you can remove the airbag assembly from the steering wheel frame...

Now using a 19mm ratchet, undo the hub nut, and then unplug the horn (two red wires above nut) and the two yellow SRS plugs...

Now you can remove the three (3) screws for the SRS reel...

There are three (3) brass screws holding the switch unit on, remove those and unplug the plugs behind it...

Ok, at this point, my project went to ****...first I found that for some reason, the non SRS center piece, of the switch has splines inside it, that are just big enough to keep it from going on, what is retarded is that they have EXACTLY the same numbers, letters and markings, sometimes I hate Honda...

Now the solution to this is real simple, simply swap the wiper switch onto the SRS center piece. Here you will notice that the two switchs have completely different numbers on them...

Now, I didn't feel like running wires to get my horn to work, since the wiring is embedded in the SRS hub, and you have to go from behind the dash find the wire, and run it up to make the connection.

Also you need the intermitent wiper relay, which is the brown box in this pic...

To get this in you need to undo the fuse box under the dash, that is done by unbolting the two (2) 10mm nuts, from either side...

Once this two are undone, you need to unplug as many plugs to the box as you can, to make it easier to access the back side of the box. You will need two flat heads, insert them on the outside of the relay, and pry down into the surrounding plastic holding clip that surrounds the bottom side, and pop out the old one. It is a bitch, now plug the new one in, and replug everything, bolt it back in and replace all the panels.

One day I will find the plug for the wipers and update this for those that care, and maybe even figure out how to run the horn so I can run a SRS-less steering wheel, but right now I am fine with what I have, if I am going to do it again, it will be for the ITR SRS wheel.

Here is a link from a thread dnt94civic posted up a while back about hooking up your horn to a JDM steering wheel. Good info...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=273474

Hope this can help someone who is wondering about removing their SRS steering wheel, or want intermitent wipers, which are nice when it is just drizzling.

Modified by 92b16vx at 10:28 PM 4/24/2004

Last edited by 92b16vx; 12-10-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing SRS steering wheel, and installing intermitent wipers (92b16vx)

good write up
Old 03-28-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Removing SRS steering wheel, and installing intermitent wipers (QuikJaysun)

this should be added to the faq thread at the top
Old 03-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my airbag.

good write-up though
Old 03-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Active760)

You don't have to get rid of your airbag, maybe swapout for an ITR/CTR SRS wheel, or the wiper mod, or if you blew it in a wreck, now you know how to remove it
Old 03-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92b16vx)

after removing the airbag(only if your airbag has been blown before...) and then puttin it back in you must reset the clock spring or you will have the SRS light stay on. If your SRS light is on, then it means if you have an accident then the airbag will not deploy!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R33CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R33CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after removing the airbag(only if your airbag has been blown before...) and then puttin it back in you must reset the clock spring or you will have the SRS light stay on. If your SRS light is on, then it means if you have an accident then the airbag will not deploy!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good info, I don't have an SRS light anymore
Old 03-28-2004, 10:28 PM

*Bookmarked*
Old 03-28-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Re: (JDM Ninja)

that is actually called a Cable Reel.

Funny, i did all this already to replace my busted cable reel, and didn't realize i needed to do all that precautionary stuff. I did disconnect the negative terminal though, but did not wait three minutes. I didn't have one ounce of trouble with my airbag, but those torx bolts are stupid, they start stripping easy.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for too many saftey precautions, and the laymens terminology.

And I hate Torx bolts, those are better then the ones on the brakes though.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry for too many saftey precautions, and the laymens terminology.

And I hate Torx bolts, those are better then the ones on the brakes though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah, the safety precautions were a good thing, so someone doesn't follow your instructions and have it blow in their face

I just know it was a cable reel cuz mine was busted.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (AmginE)

My car went through two cable reels for some reason so I just went with the SiR non-SRS wheel as weel. I need to get some intermitent wipers
Old 03-29-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (BrewerHatch)

nice right up
Old 03-29-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (BrewerHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrewerHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car went through two cable reels for some reason so I just went with the SiR non-SRS wheel as weel. I need to get some intermitent wipers </TD></TR></TABLE>

they die fast if they're not perfectly aligned when reinstalling the wheel.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good writeup
Old 03-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New link for hooking up horn added.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a DA teg assembly laying around can someone tell me if it'll work for 5 gen civic???

Modified by Andres-eh2 at 8:23 PM 4/8/2004
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

Work for what car? I know the 4th grn, and 6th gen switchs aren't compatible with the 5th gen, so I doubt it if you are transcending generations or models.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for 5 gen civic
Old 05-01-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Removing SRS steering wheel, and installing intermitent wipers (92b16vx)

just buggin ya, but a friendly reminder

NOTE: do NOT store airbag any other way except face up.
NOTE: the torque on the steering wheel bolt is 36ft-lb of torque (Honda service manual)
Old 05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R33CIVIC)

How do you "reset the clock spring??? i removed my airbag and put it back in...and now the SRS light stays on...im skrewed
Old 05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
In The Garage

Default Re: (Y2KCivicSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Y2KCivicSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you "reset the clock spring??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

????? I'd like to know as well, my girl's needs to be reset
Old 05-07-2004, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you are reinstalling the reel, install the column covers, replace cable reel, center it by rotating it clockwise till it stops. Then rotate it counterclockwise (approximately two turns) until:

-The yellow gear tooth lines up with the alignment mark on the cover.

-The arrow mark on the cable reel points straight up

Install steering wheel and attach 3-P connector to the clip
, connect horn, and cruise control swtiches , install airbag, connect reel6-P connector to SRS ma9in harness, then install hte knee bolster and dashboard lower cover.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:09 AM

That relay you are speaking of is actually the "integrated control unit". Just in case you are getting one from the dealer.

It includes the rear window timer circuit, the intermittent wiper relay circuit, engine oil pressure flasher circuit, key insert belt reminder circuit, brake bulb check circuit, lights on reminder circuit and side marker light flasher circuit.

Good write up though. Most, including myself until recently, would have thought that this was a plug and play ordeal with a new combo switch or t/s switch.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[

Hey what kind of cluster is this? I have an EG6 cluster but it only goes to 140km/hr. Yours is at 220km/hr. That looks sick!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing SRS steering wheel, and installing intermitent wipers