Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Remote Start Help, Clutch Bypass

Old 03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Help, Clutch Bypass

I know what you're thinking? Why didn't this noob search? Well I did, and none of the answers came up that I was looking for.

I have a 1995 Honda Del Sol SI 5 Sp/MT and a Deluxe 500 Bulldog Security Remote starter system (for manual transmissions and auto transmissions). An experienced mechanic helped me on the install, however he has never installed them on 5 speeds.

That is where the problem starts.

We hooked everything up by the book with diodes and everything, however when you click the button to start it will basically turn the key forward and try to start it 3 times, but since the clutch is not pushed in it will not start. I've singled this out by holding my foot on the clutch while pushing the buttons and the car started.

The biggest concern that I have is that if I bypass the clutch someone could get in my car and just then the key foward, blah blah blah. I dont want that option.

The other option is the switch, which basically enables the car to remote start, and clutch start, but only one at a time. Also not a good option.

Another option is the relay method, however I do not know much about relays (Where or what freakin parts to buy) and how long does that method take to install.

One suggestion that I have and I need opinion on, is bypassing the clutch, relay, and switch options altogether and going right for the starter. Hooking the "Crank wire" from the remote start unit to the starter wire. I'm hoping this way I can still use the clutch to start the car, yet when I need to I can remote start it whenever without having to worry about the relays and switches.

Please, you're all more experienced than I am with this car stuff, so help me out!

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you still plan to use the clutch to start it why do you need remote start. you will always have to have the car in nuetral with the parkng brake set to start it remotely, why not just bypass the clutch switch. someone would have to get your key to take the car regardless of remote start or not.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you still plan to use the clutch to start it why do you need remote start. you will always have to have the car in nuetral with the parkng brake set to start it remotely, why not just bypass the clutch switch. someone would have to get your key to take the car regardless of remote start or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still plan to use the clutch to start it for the summer, because I want the remote start for the winter, cuz its cold here.

But the remote start module is set up so it HAS to be in neutral and the brake set. (If it isnt in neutral it wont start, and if the brake is down it wont start)

I'm not worried about someone "taking" my car, I'm worried about if someone was going to use my car, or if I sold it, something along those lines, I'd rather not mess with the integrity of the unit, that is why I want to go straight to the starter.

I just got off the phone with another mechanic and he said that its my best bet to actually starting to car remotely and still keeping the clutch useable to start when not remotely starting.

So I think I'm going to right to the starter. I'll be finishing this series in the next day or so, so I will post the results.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

well, first off it is illegal to install it on manual cars in some states. If it is legal where u are, any stereo shop cn tell u hot to bypass the clutch by overiding the rotibihni switch..... figure it out........ start with i first.......
Old 03-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gamble)

did that help?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gamble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did that help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure what you're saying. I'm pretty n00bish

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (theqballer)

Check ur pm's
Old 03-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the alarm is truly for manual transmission cars, then it will have provisions for a clutch bypass that does not permanently defeat the factory clutch start protection.

If you want you can look at the instructions on the Compustar alarms. It's the same relay setup. Relays are not difficult, complicated, or frightening. A relay is just a switch that is thrown by electricity instead of a finger press.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, this is such a simple device, it's not a big deal, I didn't know it was illegal though, guess I'll have to take it out of all my cars...

Anyways, under the dash (where the pedals go up) there's a button that's plugged into a wire that goes up, up, and away... When you push that clutch the button comes out, it has to be out for the car to start. The switch will turn and unclip from a metal bar..You unplug the wire going to it, take a wire, bend it in a horseshoe shape, use a hamemr to flatten the ends, jump the wire, wrap some electrical tape around it, stuff it back in there, and ur finished.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just make sure it's in neutral when u use the remote start, that's a funny site sometimes...
/EDIT
This is an area in which I've done too many times, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me

BTW: I have no idea this was illegal...but on the flipside of things, if you want to talk about what's illegal, 70% of aftermarket parts are illegal, if you do a halogen conversion, that wasn't original available on that car that year, illegal, if a cop feels ur exhaust is too loud, illegal, changing the steering wheel to a non-air bag one, illegal

Everything's illegal, so where do u draw the line?

All the manual transmission I've put it inoriginall automatic cars (with engine swaps...) I've never installed the switch so u have to press the clutch start it anyways, just drill it and drop the clutch in there..

Iono, maybe I'm just weird or something O.o
Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

I dont know about all of that, taking a hammer to it... I'd rather not mess with that. I'm just gonna try running that wire straight to the starter after the clutch, I've been told its the best way to keep everything intact the way I want it.

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gamble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check ur pm's</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't get any PM's. try again or email me at rcaryl01@baker.edu

Ryan
Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 PM

About ten years ago I saw a crx with remote start ram its way through a garage, over a full size snap on tool box, and into a wall.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Dude its so simple, you made a simple wiring mistake thats all.

I would like to know how your car has to be in neatural for it to start? Pm me with a link or something of that particular safety feature. I'm not doubting it I'm just curious.

Now for your little proplem. Your simply hooking the wire up to the wrong point. Under the dash on the left side there will be 3 relays I belive depending on the options on your car. One of them is for the starter, the one you want has a black wire with a red strip if memory serves correctly. Tap into that wire, and you retain the stock clutch in to start function and the remote start will still function regardless of clutch engagement.

Make sense?
your basicly not hooking it up to the wire on the column anymore your going to do it after the relay on the side of the car instead bypassing all that stuff.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoredNStroked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoredNStroked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">About ten years ago I saw a crx with remote start ram its way through a garage, over a full size snap on tool box, and into a wall.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does this help me? Don't waste my time dude.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude its so simple, you made a simple wiring mistake thats all.

I would like to know how your car has to be in neatural for it to start? Pm me with a link or something of that particular safety feature. I'm not doubting it I'm just curious.

Now for your little proplem. Your simply hooking the wire up to the wrong point. Under the dash on the left side there will be 3 relays I belive depending on the options on your car. One of them is for the starter, the one you want has a black wire with a red strip if memory serves correctly. Tap into that wire, and you retain the stock clutch in to start function and the remote start will still function regardless of clutch engagement.

Make sense?
your basicly not hooking it up to the wire on the column anymore your going to do it after the relay on the side of the car instead bypassing all that stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, I don't have the link or anything too specific online, however in the book you have to set the memory of the car for MT vechicles. I'll tell you how it works just for assurance. You program the car to be able in "tach" mode other wise it will not work, from there once everything is ready, you simply start the car, while the car is running, set the e-brake and leave in neutral. Press the start button the keychain and wait for the car to signal its running (on the keychain), take out the key, the engine will remain running, exit the vehicle, and press the lock button, the car will shut off and the memorization function is memorized.

I talked to the manufacturer about that, he said its designed so that way if it is left in gear the e-brake will make it stall out (TACH MODE) since it doesn't require much to crank it, it doesn't require much to stall it. But he also said that even if it is left in gear on the that model the unit is set to memorize that and will not turn over.

For the wire, you're right, I know its not hooked up right and I know its a Black/RED wire, however I have no clue where it is at. I'm not experienced with most of this other than CD-Players which isnt jack. So I would need a photo of where the relay is. There I'm set I got all neccessary tools to finish the job.

Thanks for your help and concerns! Great help!

Ryan
Old 03-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a switch at the top of the clutch pedal. just take the switch off of it, and short the plug out ... your set, now you'll need to be careful when you remote start your car if it's in gear.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dem0nk1d)

i dunno if you understand yet but let me make it simple for you its super easy. i did auto electronics for 4 years and moved on to planes. <FONT SIZE="3">here is how u do it:

1) find the 2 wire harness thats in top of the clutch pedal. if you wanna confirm the plug you found then unplug it and try starting the car. if it doesn't start you found the right one.

2) get a piece a wire as a jumper (do not cut the plug like some idiots) and insert it into the harness plug to connect both wirs and there your done

3) secure the harness with electrical tape and zip tie it so it wont be in the way.

</FONT>
the way it work is when you push the clutch it simply connects both wires in the harness closing the circuit. good luck
Old 03-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nocturnaldragon)

Dude, you're soo right!!! It works now! LIKE A CHAMP too!

All it was was that black/red wire at the starter relay. Everything is sweet now!

Ryan
Old 03-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (theqballer)

This is one of those times when darwin theory takes over. It's illegal for a reason. Why not just do it the right way? Oh well, its your ***, not mine.

I've also seen a remote started car lurch on it's own. Never found out what triggered it. And no, I wasn't the idiot that defeated the clutch start safety on it.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is one of those times when darwin theory takes over. It's illegal for a reason. Why not just do it the right way? Oh well, its your ***, not mine.

I've also seen a remote started car lurch on it's own. Never found out what triggered it. And no, I wasn't the idiot that defeated the clutch start safety on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about? Every time I have to remote start my car I have to memorize it so that way it will not start in gear.

Bulldog Remote Starter, Deluxe 500 Look it up dood, its for Auto/Manual.

Ryan
Old 03-15-2006, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoredNStroked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoredNStroked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">About ten years ago I saw a crx with remote start ram its way through a garage, over a full size snap on tool box, and into a wall.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well props to the moron who left it in gear