Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Old 03-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Yes you can remove the timing belt without removing anything else, just loosen the tension and slide the belt of the cams. Make sure you line everything up before installing.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Pull the spark plugs otherwise it'll be a bear to turn the engine over. I wouldn't worry about the crush washers on them. People pull plugs and reinstall them all the time to check cylinder combustion status and gap.

If you have a pick, you can use it to pull on the tensioner rather than prying at it with a flat head screw driver. If you're not removing the crank pulley, you might have to get a little creative with how you get tension on the belt. Just remember that a little extra pressure goes a long way.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks guys. I am cautiously optimistic here...

I re-torqued the head bolts as described earlier, and everything went back together nicely.

She started right up, no CEL, so I ran her up to temp with the cooling system burp funnel. I had cleaned the area on the block where I saw the leak before with brake clean and compressed air.

No leak. Granted, I am just running the burp funnel, so not a lot of pressure in the cooling system, but it just had the burp funnel when it leaked before.

Tomorrow I will look at everything and see if she leaked overnight. If not, I will put the radiator cap on and run her up to temp.

Wish me luck...
Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Fish Twig

**** happens, I replaced a b16a2 with a b20b and when all was ready I started up the engine and started to have oil leaking out of the lower left corner of the block where the head meets the block. Took it apart, bought a new headgasket, used the copper spray, re-installed and torque to spec.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
**** happens, I replaced a b16a2 with a b20b and when all was ready I started up the engine and started to have oil leaking out of the lower left corner of the block where the head meets the block. Took it apart, bought a new headgasket, used the copper spray, re-installed and torque to spec.
Thanks for the encouragement, I will know more in a few hours!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Thanks for the encouragement, I will know more in a few hours!
Pulling for you...another good weather day to get stuff done! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by wxman94ej1
Pulling for you...another good weather day to get stuff done! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Thanks man.

I removed, oiled, and torqued head bolts one at a time in reverse order of the torque pattern described in the FSM.

First test was running engine to temp @ 2000 RPM with burp funnel. Area of block previously photographed stayed dry - nice!

Next test - radiator cap on, run engine to temp @ 2000 RPM - block stays dry - better!

Next test - drive her! She felt okay, not great, but I had just thrown the distributor in the middle of the adjustment range and did not set timing.

I drove her with varied throttle - on and then off and then on in order to give the rings the best break-in possible.

Then I stopped at a gas station to put some fresh fuel in and popped the hood...

The splatters you see are just above the block coolant drain. I think they are oil. Can anyone confirm that the ribs on either side of this area are oil return passages?

Next steps are to run some oil dye and then black-light the area.

Disappointing!

Name:  IMG_0526.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  423.8 KB

Last edited by TomCat39; 03-13-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Not sure why the image loads side-ways? Whatever...
Old 03-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Sorry to see the oil.

I can fix the orientation of your picture if you like. I believe the left side is the top? Seem to just see a touch of the exhaust header and the header bolt on the top and left?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Sorry to see the oil.

I can fix the orientation of your picture if you like. I believe the left side is the top? Seem to just see a touch of the exhaust header and the header bolt on the top and left?
Thanks TC. Yes, if you could give it 90 degrees, clock-wise, that should do it.

Unfortunately (or maybe it is for the better), I cannot mess with the Civic much right now. I did read a little over the weekend about people putting some Hondabond around the oil return holes when doing head gasket. I also read somewhere that you need to shorten the dowels if any material is removed from the head? I need to ask the machinist about that...
Old 03-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

My Civic got pasted by a Jeep last November, and now I should be able to spend a little time to get her back on the road.

I got my Si back in '97 and love it. The clutch started slipping @ ~140k miles back in 2002, and I had been reading up on the B18C1 swap, so I went for it.

Now she has ~266k on her, and I can tell the B18 is feeling tired, and the exhaust smells a little bit.

Funds are limited - I set the goal of completing the re-fresh with only the funds from the accident, but I think I can do it!

In my mind, the re-fresh has 3 components:
1) Basic engine rebuild. I intend to pull the head and send it out to the machine shop for surfacing and valve job. I will also tap out the rods and throw new pistons and rings on them.
2) Replace front end sheet metal - hood, both fenders, bumper skin. I think I will need to play with the radiator cross-member as well to get hood latch in proper location, hard to tell with mangled hood.
3) Replace passenger side knuckle as alignment shop can no longer get camber set on pass side after the accident.

Here is the fun picture of what happened:
Pretty sure I bought my little EH3 in March of '97, so that means I have had her for 20 years? WTF?!? Am I getting old or something?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Fish Twig

Did you check for warpage with a str8 edge?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
talks to himself

Any updates?
Old 03-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Fish Twig

I will find you if you gave up. And when I do.....
Old 03-31-2017, 05:04 AM
talks to himself

Tony has a special set of skills.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
Any updates?
The silence is killing us!! Any updates???
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 AM
talks to himself

94 Civic Si,

We're waiting.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Any updates?
The silence is killing us!! Any updates???
94 Civic Si,

We're waiting.
You guys are awesome! I thought no one cared about B swaps any longer...

After I saw those little splatters all over the side of the block I was pretty bummed and just parked her for a while. I had to focus on a different vehicle so we could do some off-roading for Spring Break, so I did not do much with Civic. I set the timing and put some oil dye in.

This week I took her in for an alignment as things were a little off after I replaced the rack. My friend/mechanic said we could black-light the block while it was up on the alignment rack.

The good news is that we didn't even break out the light, as you could see the dyed oil leaking at the pan gasket, but looking up under the head, there is discoloration from the header flange, but it is not dyed oil, and it is not anti-freeze. The machinist that did the head had stopped by as well and was very confident my head gasket was fine, but I needed to tighten the header.

Wow!

Their advice was to torque the header when cold, tighten the pan gasket, change oil at 500 miles, and then re-torque head bolts at 3000 miles. But their biggest advice was to just drive it! It was very cool, I thought I did everything wrong, the head gasket looks clean (I'll put up pictures tomorrow), and I got the toe pretty darn close.

So I drove my little Civic Tuesday and yesterday, couldn't drive her today. I love driving her! New rack feels tight, she drives nice with the alignment. Shifter mod feels perfect. She loves to wind, very punchy, feels great on the interstate - perfect ~90.

Nice...

Things to do: find out why IAB does not work (dammit), replace suspension bushings as camber is not perfect.

Now that I know all my time was not in vain I will go back and start filling in some details on the rebuild.

Last edited by 94 Civic Si; 01-19-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Fish Twig

Thats what I thought...best be scared when I come round dis bytch.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, glad you left us or sold the car haha. Awesome news on the leak. Can't wait to see more details of the rebuild. Are you all set with charcoal canisters? I was hanging onto a couple of em in case you wanted one but might chuck them if you don't need them. Let me know. I would love to see this car in person sometime!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Nice, glad you left us or sold the car haha. Awesome news on the leak. Can't wait to see more details of the rebuild. Are you all set with charcoal canisters? I was hanging onto a couple of em in case you wanted one but might chuck them if you don't need them. Let me know. I would love to see this car in person sometime!
Thanks! Work is working me today, so I am not sure how much I will get to post today.
Thank you for holding onto a charcoal can for me, I mis-read your earlier thread. I will show you what I did with my current set up, but I would like to get one of those - thank you!
Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

You guys are awesome! I thought no one cared about B swaps any longer...

After I saw those little splatters all over the side of the block I was pretty bummed and just parked her for a while. I had to focus on a different vehicle so we could do some off-roading for Spring Break, so I did not do much with Civic. I set the timing and put some oil dye in.

This week I took her in for an alignment as things were a little off after I replaced the rack. My friend/mechanic said we could black-light the block while it was up on the alignment rack.

The good news is that we didn't even break out the light, as you could see the dyed oil leaking at the pan gasket, but looking up under the head, there is discoloration from the header flange, but it is not dyed oil, and it is not anti-freeze. The machinist that did the head had stopped by as well and was very confident my head gasket was fine, but I needed to tighten the header.

Wow!

Their advice was to torque the header when cold, tighten the pan gasket, change oil at 500 miles, and then re-torque head bolts at 3000 miles. But their biggest advice was to just drive it! It was very cool, I thought I did everything wrong, the head gasket looks clean (I'll put up pictures tomorrow), and I got the toe pretty darn close.

So I drove my little Civic Tuesday and yesterday, couldn't drive her today. I love driving her! New rack feels tight, she drives nice with the alignment. Shifter mod feels perfect. She loves to wind, very punchy, feels great on the interstate - perfect ~90.

Nice...

Things to do: find out why IAB does not work (dammit), replace suspension bushings as camber is not perfect.

Now that I know all my time was not in vain I will go back and start feeling in some details on the rebuild.
I can't tell y'all how happy I was when I got a look at things from this perspective!
This is obviously not dyed oil. It is not Honda blue anti-freeze either. I did not clean the inside of the header and my friend the pro-wrench said all kinds of old funk is on the inside of the header and some is just oozing out at the flange now that she is tight and hot (!?!).

So I will re-torque the header flange a few times and hope she seals up. I cannot detect any loss of oil or coolant with under hood checks. I do need to check all my oil pan bolts for tightness and clean everything well with some brake clean - hopefully next weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Fish Twig

BEEER
Old 04-11-2017, 03:46 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should try some copper gasket spray on that header gasket, that'll seal that up nice.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
You should try some copper gasket spray on that header gasket, that'll seal that up nice.
Thanks! My problem is that the header is a bitch to get out of there w/ A/C condenser in front of it. If I pull the O2 sensor it gets easier. I am lazy, so I am going to try re-torquing and cleaning things up with brake clean and see how things look...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident