Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Wheel Bearing replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearing replacement help

So, I have a '95 Civic Coupe that I'm going to be changing the rear wheel bearings on once they get here...I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me, since I've never changed wheel bearings before...on anything.
It seems rather simple considering, but seeing as how I'm a chick that does all my own mechanic work and everyone around me seems to think I'll need help, just thought I'd get some outside opinions on the matter.

Also, off topic but anyone in FL know of an auto salvage with parts for this car? I can't seem to find any around my area...they say it's too old...which makes me feel old...
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing replacement help

take the caliper, brake pads, and rotor off. there one nut (32mm) take that off and bearing will come right off may need to bang it off but it a 20 min job
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have some pb blaster handy since you're in florida. 95 is not old, old would be a model T ford. For parts for your coupe, Ebay especially by the seller hondapartsunlimited.
My hats off to you for being a chick and fixing your own stuff.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I figured it was an easy job...don't know why my friends are making such a big deal out of it.
I have actually been getting my parts from ebay, since I can't find anything at salvage anymore. I didn't think '95 was old either...I don't even consider my '85 RX-7 old, but junkyards seem to think so...lol.
Thanks 95EG2 and fonkernuckle!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you haven't got air tools take off the hubcaps or center caps and break the 32mm axle nuts free before raising the car. Also the inner race tends to stick on the stub axle, you can either heat it up and try to drive it off with a chisel or cut a section out with a 4 1/2" angle grinder to open it up (being careful of course not to cut into the stub axle.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
If you haven't got air tools take off the hubcaps or center caps and break the 32mm axle nuts free before raising the car. Also the inner race tends to stick on the stub axle, you can either heat it up and try to drive it off with a chisel or cut a section out with a 4 1/2" angle grinder to open it up (being careful of course not to cut into the stub axle.
Axle nuts? Stub axle? What civic are you driving with axles in the rear. Surely its not an RT-Si. Ol.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, axle nut. obviously you've never done a rear wheel bearing and shouldn't be commenting. There's a retaining nut cover over the 32mm axle nut holding the wheel hub on. I'd suggest getting the new wheel bearing hub assembly from napa, it's cheap and new. The bearing on the rear bearings on civics are have a sealed assembly. You have to remove and replace the whole assembly, can't just do the bearing.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like to do this on my 96 hatch but people say i cannot because they say I'll need compressed air.

I saw my mechanic do it on my rear right and he just removed the tire, removed the brake drum cover and undid a bolt and removed the whole assembly and just put the new assembly in and redid the bolt and replaced the cover and tire. My rear left is now starting to go so I was wondering if this can be done with just hand tools and how would i go about loosening it and re-tightening it?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ke98248
Yes, axle nut. obviously you've never done a rear wheel bearing and shouldn't be commenting. There's a retaining nut cover over the 32mm axle nut holding the wheel hub on. I'd suggest getting the new wheel bearing hub assembly from napa, it's cheap and new. The bearing on the rear bearings on civics are have a sealed assembly. You have to remove and replace the whole assembly, can't just do the bearing.
First of all you have to have an axle to put an axle nut on. I know the front wheel bearings are pressed into the hub. Are the rears not?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Wdpfreak145
First of all you have to have an axle to put an axle nut on. I know the front wheel bearings are pressed into the hub. Are the rears not?
no, they're not.

click here for an explanation with pics.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read above post and what i posted.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axle nuts? Stub axle? What civic are you driving with axles in the rear. Surely its not an RT-Si. Ol.
Does the term Spindle Nut work better for you? Calling the spindle nut, an axle nut, is like how people often refer to all '92-'95 Civics as an EG, or all 4dr Civics as a Ferio (did you catch my references there?). While the terminology is incorrect, people still know what is being referred to, sometimes more easily.