Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

REAL hid headlight retrofit kits. High - Low beam.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default REAL hid headlight retrofit kits. High - Low beam.

Below is a link to an Ebay seller in the USA.
For those looking for real hid lights, this is the best I've found for the price.
Real HID dual beam high/low, both xenon/hid dual bulbs. (H4-4)
You don't loose high beams both are hid.
4 ballasts, 2 dual bulbs.
Comes with a nice short wiring harness with dual relays/fuses/connectors.
No splicing needed, everything is plug and play.
I bought a set of these and they work really well with one small exception, for which I have a fix.
When you switch from low to high beams, there is a 2 second "dim period" while the high beam strikes up to full brightness. By inserting a small diode from the high to low beam relay, you keep the low beams lit all the time and just switch the high beams on and off as required, so both bulbs will be lit at the same time on high beam.
All this for $129 .... nice deal. Seem to work really well on my del Sol.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...96826
Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it's cool that it offers a highbeam, it is NOT a retrofit.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99_hb_on_air)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99_hb_on_air &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While it's cool that it offers a highbeam, it is NOT a retrofit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Location: ....................................................................................................
Default Re: REAL hid headlight retrofit kits. High - Low beam. (itsmejto)

SPAM!!!!!^^^^^^
Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you guys go to school ....

retrofit =

Definition:

1. modify something with new parts: to modify something such as a machine or a building by adding newly developed parts or devices that were not available when the machine or building was made.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itsmejto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where did you guys go to school ....

retrofit =

Definition:

1. modify something with new parts: to modify something such as a machine or a building by adding newly developed parts or devices that were not available when the machine or building was made.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you sir are correct. i applaud you for coming correct with actual facts. though it is a retrofit, its not a very good one. a good hid retrofit requires a little more effort than a plug n play bi xenon kit. nothing irks me more than some assface driving in oncoming traffic with a craptastic plug n play hid kit in their non-hid headlight housings.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REAL hid headlight retrofit kits. High - Low beam. (junkspeedproject)

Ah, they seem to have that covered too as the bulbs have metal masks on them designed to shade most of the glare and these particiular ones work well in that aspect showing a beam patern almost as DOT intended, that of course is if you are using genuine honda lenses and not those fancy JDM pieces of $h!t. I agree, some/most do scatter the light and those 50/55 watt units are darn right ilegal. Guys are going to buy them regardless, so my intention was to let at least some of us know that there was at least a little engineering went into this package and for the price, well I ws amazed how they can supply a fill plug and play kit for less than 160, including postage.
I had a set of genuine Hella ones before, and they didn't foucus as well as these.
It isn't just the reflector design, it has as much to do with the bulb placement and sheilding too. I agree the projector type seem to work much better, but even those on lets say a new Lexus, will make oncuming drivers cuss too.