Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Re-ring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-ring?

I've got a head gasket, valve seals, now I just need to get the rings replaced. I've got all the parts except what would I need for my ring job?

1996 Honda Civic d16y7 5mt
Old 06-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Re-ring?

Re-ring means rebuild of the bottom end since pistons have to be pulled out.

And in that case, you need to blue print the motor so you know the cylinders are within service limits for out of round and taper. Let alone crank run out etc.

If they are beyond service limits then it means new pistons and rings, a bore and hone and all new bearings as well as all new seals in the block, and might as well do a new oil pump since it's torn down that far.

Lets say you are in service limit and the oil pump is in service limit also, bare minimum is all new seals (oil pickup tube seal, oil pump o-ring seal, front main, rear main, oil pan), then all new bearings, a light hone and new rings. And since it's all apart, new water pump and gasket and new timing belt. And since you are doing all of that, might as well do a new o-ring and grommet on the oil breather box on the back of the block as well as a new PCV tube that goes to the breather box, those are usually hard and brittle by now.

I'm sure I'm missing something in that list but it's a decent start.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres the plan: pull valve cover, timing belt, head, oil pan, then unbolt rods, pull pistons, swap rings, ball hone, re-assemble, follow torque specs. I also have a new head gasket for the car as well. It is a budget car.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

It is not recommended to reuse the bearings. It's been said by the experienced engine builders that once you crack them, they are much more likely to collapse when you put it back together.

But do as you wish. You really should get new bearings being you are cracking the caps open.

People have reused and had no issues, but you are increasing your risk of failure.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by hayden55
Heres the plan: pull valve cover, timing belt, head, oil pan, then unbolt rods, pull pistons, swap rings, ball hone, re-assemble, follow torque specs. I also have a new head gasket for the car as well. It is a budget car.
Very similar to what I plan on doing with mine!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Re-ring means rebuild of the bottom end since pistons have to be pulled out.

And in that case, you need to blue print the motor so you know the cylinders are within service limits for out of round and taper. Let alone crank run out etc.

If they are beyond service limits then it means new pistons and rings, a bore and hone and all new bearings as well as all new seals in the block, and might as well do a new oil pump since it's torn down that far.

Lets say you are in service limit and the oil pump is in service limit also, bare minimum is all new seals (oil pickup tube seal, oil pump o-ring seal, front main, rear main, oil pan), then all new bearings, a light hone and new rings. And since it's all apart, new water pump and gasket and new timing belt. And since you are doing all of that, might as well do a new o-ring and grommet on the oil breather box on the back of the block as well as a new PCV tube that goes to the breather box, those are usually hard and brittle by now.

I'm sure I'm missing something in that list but it's a decent start.
Thank you! I am going to add these items to my build list over here: https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...w-abs-3276594/