Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG turbo civic vtec problem, wont build boost. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG turbo civic vtec problem, wont build boost. HELP!

Hey guys. Im not new to performance cars, import cars, or turbo cars by any means. Im trying to figure out my boost/vtec issue on my d15z1 swapped ex.

The car has a turbonetics cast manifold, PTE 5431 billet wheel turbo, 10 psi spring, fmic blah blah. It does have a chipped P28, dsm 450 injectors with resistor pack. the tune is unknown. Rev limiter is set at 6500. (after some research im thinking this just might be the "limp mode" sotospeak)

The car has ALWAYS been very sluggish, wont build enough boost to open the gate unless 2nd or 3rd gear and WOT at near or full RPM. When i did the swap, i used the Z6 intake manifold that i had, being that its bigger, with a bigger TB and was told by my local honda friend that it would work with the z1 head.

After a LOT of different experiments, it just wouldnt build the boost, open to gate, and was still VERY slow. Today i got curious, and unplugged the vtec solenoid, and wired it inside the car, where i could manually connect it to a 12v power source, and FORCE the Vtec to work. When i tried a first gear pull, it INSTANTLY roared to life, spool fast, opened the gate, and pulled ten times better than it ever has. I tried second and third gear, and it faded off, and would no longer pull, and was acting the same as it had before. I knew that the screen inside the solenoid sometimes loads up with crud, and could cause this issue, so i removed it, and there was a noticeable amount of crap inside the assembly. I removed everything, and cleaned it in a solvent parts washer, and put it back together. This time it pulled great from 1st-3rd on the first attempt, then it slow faded off on the next couple pulls, and returned to the same sluggish, lethargic behavior.

I removed it AGAIN, and cleaned it out again, and used cotton swabs to remove the bit of crap i could see in the head where the assembly bolts up. This made no difference, i had another solenoid, which i cleaned VERY meticulously, and put on as well. This made no difference. The oil level is right at full, and everything else is connected. When i connect the solenoid wire to power, i can hear the solenoid clicking. I also tested them while they were removed, with the same distinct and loud click. It doesnt sound like they are not functioning, they seem healthy.

Im confused as to why in the hell it worked great for a pull, and then stopped, then worked great after cleaning, then nothing at all after 3-4 short pulls. The worst part is now nothing i try will make a difference, No hint of the inner beast that i experienced for a brief second today.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the d16z6 manifold, on the d15z1 head? However, i know the manifold switch will NOT keep the vtec from working.

HELP!!

Thanks!

EDIT. After HOURS of countless experimentation today, i have narrowed it down to block oil passages to the locking pins in the head, or problems with the mechanics inside the cylinder head. Ill post back with a response soon.