Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quick newbish question (gsr swap, stock eg exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick newbish question (gsr swap, stock eg exhaust)

ok, so i bought an eg si hatch, with a gsr swap, containing skunk2 itm, itr tb, dc ceramic 4-2-1 header, p28 chipped by japdan, and stock piping for the eg hatch, header, then piping with cat and everything, except the guy put a giant fart can on the end
im wondering if i should run 2' 1/2-3' piping from the header back to an rsx-s muffler?
or header to an e-cutout, then to the stock eg piping with an rsx-s muffler

how choked is my engine right now? what can i expect from either exhaust choices, powerwise

will my gas mileage be better with the eg piping and rsx-s muffler, or the 2' 1/2-3' piping to rsx-s muffler?

also im aware the muffler doesnt fit properly on the hatch, but i will have the tip cut and welded to fit and look right

thanks for the help!

- travis
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: quick newbish question (gsr swap, stock eg exhaust)

2.25" to 2.5" exhaust piping should work fine in your case with the mods you have. Running Running anymore than 2.5" back to the rsx muffler which only has a 2.25" inlet I believe would not make much sense. If you are running the tiny pea shooter sized piping on the car, then your engine is definitely choked up pretty good. The Sis had larger exhausts on them, but at this point in the car's life who knows what it has on it for exhaust. You can be pretty sure it's not the orginal exhaust.

Last edited by weavertime1; 02-19-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i was thinking either 2' 1/2 to the rsx muffler, straight pipe, or the header, to the y adapter pipe, with the 2' 1/2 ecutout, with the e-cutout i wanna keep the stock eg exhaust piping, and put an rsx muffler on it to replace the rice muffler, it would look better, and not be as loud,
ecutout + stock piping + rsx muffler = greaty gas mileage when ecutout is closed, and best power gain with it open?
header back 2' 1/2 piping + rsx muffler = quiet-er better sounding exhaust with a decent amount of performance gain, and worse gas mileage, but itd be cheaper

i dont wanna get pulled over, nor do i wanna waste gas, but id like to save money, and idk how much a shop would charge to weld in the ecutout (plus the cost of the adapter piping theyd have to supply for the size difference)
the piping on the car now, looks to be about the same size as the piping i had on my stock auto ef hatch.. haha, pretty tiny
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Think about your engine like a glorified air pump. The easier air can get in and out of it the more efficient it will run. The bigger pipe will be better for power and gas mileage. Ditch what's on there and go with the 2.25 pipe to match the rsx inlet. That's your best choice imo
Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so less back pressure = better gas mileage?
i thought it was the other way around? which is why i wanted to keep the tiny piping, and have the ecutout dump..
Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt, needa know asap
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The size of the pipe will cap your maximum horsepower, but if you go too big, the engine actually has to work harder. It has to do with how the gases flow.
To keep it simple, 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inch would be fine for you. Stock pipe would restrict you, but larger will reduce exhaust velocity and scavenging, making you lose power and just be too noisy.

The e-cutout idea isn't bad, it's just more complicated than you need. With GSR engines, people get good gas mileage as it is. If you're going to play around with the idea, you can make a cutout from a throttle body and a servo, motor, solenoid, or just a cable running into the car to open it. I saw this on HMT before and apparently it works fine.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that would be cool, but im not great with making little devices work that well, without frying something or making it look really ghetto, i dont wanna have to pull and hold a cord to be able to have better flowing exhaust, haha
i made this diagram on paint to kinda show what im talking about doing, idk the exact size of the stock piping so i just labeled it stock piping, its not completely accurate so dont knock me for trying

Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am thinking that your section of small stock piping in the middle should just be replaced with a 2.25 inch piece while you are at it. Any good exhaust shop should be able to build that piece for you.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just want it to be quiet though. I feel that if I got the piping that size all the way back and then got the ecutout. It'd be a waste and there wouldn't be Any difference powerwise with the butterfly open or closed, and itb be just as loud, with just as bad gas mileage

Last edited by travishoward; 02-20-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it more back pressure gives you better gas mileage? or less back pressure that gives you better gas mileage?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Obviously a stock rsx muffler will make the car quieter than an open cutout with no muffler. As was already stated better flow will improve mileage. Going too big will be bad for mileage but so is going too small. General consensus of the advice you have been given is ditch the stock pipe and go with the 2.25 pipe. I wouldn't waste money on a cutout personally cuz it will only give you a few extra horsepower when open, not even a noticeable amount.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2.5 piping a resonator or 2 and the stock rsx muffler will make it still sound stock.
i have 2.5 with no resonator and i still get 28 mpg in a sol.

e cutouts from what i've read have a tendancy to leak after awhile.
but it would be a ver noticable increase.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

98ekb16 - i never said i was gonna run it without a muffler, i put up a pic of what i was talking about, now that i know bigger is better, for gas, and power (not saying 8' piping would work, i see that biggest, isnt better) its not a sohc, so id go 2.5, and maybe pick up a muffler that looks, stock, but is 2.5 as well, im just trying to figure this out, i have $200 to spend for exhaust work

red army - arent resonator's restricting as well? and the guy above said it wouldnt be a very noticeable increase, but you said it would be, how noticeable are we talking?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your gonna lose a ton of torque with a e-cutout.. Bseries engines in stock for dont like anything over 2.5 as far as exhaust.. you will lose power if you go with 3" or something like a e-cutout... if you want something quiet and better flowing why not just get a apex-i WS2 exhaust
Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i cant find an rsx-s muffler cheap anywhere, so whats a good alternative, as in 2.5' inlet/outlet, stock looking (like a flowmaster 44 series for example), quiet, and not restrictive
the ws2 is too expensive and looks too fartcanish for me

i have a budget of about 200 bucks
meaning i need to get a muffler, and have the work done, for 200 bucks or less
Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You were saying you didn't want the muffler to sound the same as the open cutout. I was just saying the 2.25 pipe with the rsx muffler will be quieter than the open cutout that wont have a muffler after it
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok i see what youre saying now, im thinking i should just get the muffler, with a 2.5 inlet and outlet, if i can find one, and run straight pipe at 2.5' header back
then eventually get the ecutout
i just dont want it to be loud..
if im getting on it, then i dont mind, id actually prefer it screamed, but for just crusing around and daily driving, i want it quiet

any ideas on a muffler?
i got offered an ap1 muffler for $40
Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so im picking up an obx ws muffler tomorrow for $25, only used for 2 weeks, by one of my buddies, im gonna run 2.5' straight pipe from header back, to that muffler

anyone know an estimate on how much itll cost me to do that at a shop?
any cons to doing this?
will it be too loud?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by travishoward
ok so im picking up an obx ws muffler tomorrow for $25, only used for 2 weeks, by one of my buddies, im gonna run 2.5' straight pipe from header back, to that muffler

anyone know an estimate on how much itll cost me to do that at a shop?
any cons to doing this?
will it be too loud?
I would recommend running a resonator somewhere along the line as well. Shops are all different, but having grown up in a shop I can tell you that you get what you pay for. I am sure some shops would do it for cheap, but how long will it stay together? Every once in a while you can find that diamond in the rough type of shop that is cheap and does good work, but they are few and far between.