Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick little writeup I made on how to remove stuck dowel pins...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick little writeup I made on how to remove stuck dowel pins...

Here's a link to a little write-up I did a while back on civicforums.com on how to remove dowel pins that are stuck without damaging them (so they can be reused). Pics are included. Hope this helps somebody.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/23...owel-pins.html

Originally Posted by Fragmare
I'm sure everybody has had those fragile little tube-type dowel pins get stuck at some point and resorted to pliers or vice grips to get them out (usually resulting in a chewed up and/or warped pin). I recently had a dowel pin stuck in my cylinder head on my 93 DX and I had a moment of ingenuity. The best part, all you need is stuff you'd normally be using at the time anyway: Set of vice grips (preferably small), a 3/8" drive socket extension, and some masking or electrical tape.

All you do is wrap some tape around the outside of the extension until it's a tight fit into the middle of the dowel pin. Then twist the extension into the dowel pin until it's in as far as it will go. Then you take your vice grips and lock onto the dowel pin. You can lock on as tight as you want because the extension prevents it from warping too much. Then simply twist the pin out. If you like, you can take a short section of old rubber hose and cut one side so it's a 'C' shape and put that inside the vice jaws to further prevent any chewing or burring of the dowel pin. Some pics included below. Hope this helps somebody!

Last edited by TomCat39; 12-14-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:10 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Quick little writeup I made on how to remove stuck dowel pins...

Would be nice to actually put the writeup IN the writeup instead of linking to another forum.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here it is in proper write up form.

"I'm sure everybody has had those fragile little tube-type dowel pins get stuck at some point and resorted to pliers or vice grips to get them out (usually resulting in a chewed up and/or warped pin). I recently had a dowel pin stuck in my cylinder head on my 93 DX and I had a moment of ingenuity. The best part, all you need is stuff you'd normally be using at the time anyway: Set of vice grips (preferably small), a 3/8" drive socket extension, and some masking or electrical tape.

All you do is wrap some tape around the outside of the extension until it's a tight fit into the middle of the dowel pin.

Then twist the extension into the dowel pin until it's in as far as it will go.

Then you take your vice grips and lock onto the dowel pin. You can lock on as tight as you want because the extension prevents it from warping too much.

Then simply twist the pin out.

If you like, you can take a short section of old rubber hose and cut one side so it's a 'C' shape and put that inside the vice jaws to further prevent any chewing or burring of the dowel pin. Hope this helps somebody! "
Old 08-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You got it! I'm on it.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nm you beat me to it lol
Old 12-14-2014, 06:32 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Found this write-up yesterday cause both my Dowel pins were stuck in a 230k mile D16A6. This motor still had all the original gaskets installed back in 1989. Well the pin inside the head came right out with this method. It was difficult to turn, but eventually it popped out.

Then I went for the pin in the cylinder block. This bolt hole had ancient coolant and sludge in it so I had a feeling it was going to give me trouble. Boy was I right. Using the method above, I clamped down onto it with the vice grips. Then I gave it a good quarter turn. The vice grips simply peeled back the dowel pin where they made contact without the pin moving even a millimeter. After seeing the top of the shredded pin I knew I was in $h!tville.

Here is the tool that finally got the job done. It's a free rental at any Autozone. It's meant to remove bearings that have zero access from behind. The smallest attachment fits inside the dowel pin perfectly.

OEM/Blind hole puller set 27128 at AutoZone.com - 1 reviews

The only trick is getting to the correct tightness where the little hooked tips will grab the dowel instead of slip right out. Fantastic tool! Here's an image that illustrates both how the tool works, and how the vice-grip method shredded it.

Last edited by 94eg!; 12-14-2014 at 06:47 PM.