Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about oil burning issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Question about oil burning issue.

Hey Honda-Tech forums. I have a 2000 Civic EX D16Y8 with 131,000 miles that I bought about a year ago. The car has always burned oil at a pretty rapid rate. Smoke was not noticeable before i took the cat off. It could have been clogged. It smokes the worst in high RPMs. It smokes during idle sometimes as well. As far as Valve seals go, on deceleration, will the car smoke during the slow down or when i give it gas right afterwards? I'll let the engine slow the car down and it doesn't smoke, then give a puff of smoke once i give it some gas. It doesn't really smoke on cold starts either. I have to put oil in it every few days to a week depending on how much i drive it. When the oil gets low it seems like a small amount of oil added will make the oil level raise a lot. There are no noticeable sounds coming from the engine, besides a bearing noise when it was cold < 20° F. And a ticking sound from a kinda bad exhaust leak between the down pipe and resonator. I'm sure valves could be adjusted though.

So as for what I have done to the car. I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, pcv valve, fuel filter, fuel tank, and swapped injectors with my spare d16y8. The fuel tank was rusted and clogged my injectors after I put a can of seafoam in the tank. After i fixed the fuel system the car was sputtering bad around 3-5k rpm's. Turns out it was the exhaust leak i mentioned giving my upstream o2 bad readings. I relocated the o2 sensor to the bung near the top of the header. Problem gone. Still a bit of hesitation going into vtec, but I dont rev it that high with the oil problems.

Car runs very smooth now. it does idle a bit low sometimes but nothing too bad. It just consumes oil like a monster. There aren't any substantial oil leaks besides the head being a little wet around the first exhaust port. Then the lower timing belt cover is wet around the bottom and maybe just a bit around the backside of the tranny and block.

My main question is could it still be valve seals? I have decent compression besides on cylinder one. 150 while the others were 185-200 psi. I leak down tested the first cylinder and air was escaping from the oil filler cap and the dipstick tube. more so the oil filler area. (these spots have blowby as well). Also, the pcv breather box could be clogged, and there was some oil accumulated in my air intake tube. It could be from blowby venting into it though.

I just bought the Lisle 36200 valve keeper tool, and some viton seals. I'm going to change the valve seals on my spare head and either swap the head onto my engine or just try to change the seals on the currently installed head as well. (I will have 2 sets of seals once this next set ships). I'm in the process of getting the spare engine somewhat rebuilt and then will eventually swap them out. I'm just trying to make the current engine last as long as possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:23 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: Question about oil burning issue.

Sounds like you have rings going on the low cylinder. When you compression tested did you add oil to the cylinder to see if the results changed?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Sounds like you have rings going on the low cylinder. When you compression tested did you add oil to the cylinder to see if the results changed?
It's funny how this happens.

Exactly what was wrong with my replacement D15B7 Motor. Valve seals did nothing to fix it and it burnt plenty of oil predominately in one cylinder.

Compression test showed nothing as the oil was coming up around the rings sealing it up to give strong compression. The signs were blue smoke on high rpm and load and seeing oil around the piston filling the P2W clearance on that cylinder.

No piston slap in that motor so I am hoping the block is good for a hone job only rebuild since I already bought new standard size rings. I'll find that out once I have a garage to start really playing with all my parts and tools.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read: https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesb...onsumption.pdf
Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, that pdf is super helpful. I didn't do the wet test with the compression. I will do that next chance i get.

I figured it was the rings.

I tried soaking the piston tops in MMO while the car was sitting. the oil drained through cylinder 1 and 2 after a few hours. The soak didn't seem to help with the burning much if at all.

Guess i should just baby the car and try to get the spare rebuilt properly so i don't end up with the same problem. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes it's the rings. About all you can do is not let the engine run out of oil until you can replace it. Using a heavier oil may slow the rate of consumption.