Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Q&A: RHD EK importing from Canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q&A: RHD EK importing from Canada

I've heard that a RHD EK can be imported from Canada for a relatively cheap price. Does anyone know the How To's of the process as well as where to acquire and how to register one in the U.S. Any price information will help as well.

TIA
Old 11-22-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Q&A: RHD EK importing from Canada (Nospace)

Anyone?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:13 AM

Last bump for the night....I'll check again tomorrow. Come on guys. Someone's gotta have some info.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if im not mistaken, canada has lhd cars....pretty sure of it.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:45 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Q&A: RHD EK importing from Canada (bluemax189)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluemax189 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if im not mistaken, canada has lhd cars....pretty sure of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>lol of course.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the easiest way to get a rhd car egistered (i have heard) is to get the shell shipped to the US, have it inspected and pay the customs taxes and al the other bullshit fee's. next you go the the DMV and bring the paperwork saying it is a shell and has been passed through customs and that it is a project car. then you take pics of it all without the motor and whatever else it doesnt have, then put all the **** inside and then get is smogged. next you go to the dmv with all the paperwork again and all the pics and BAM you have a street driveable RHD car

or you can go the easy way and get a conversion done and pay alot less in the end and it would already be registered, all you have to do is go to CHP inspection station so they can make sure it is safe for the road

these are things that i have read and heard about, anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong
Old 11-23-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Q&A: RHD EK importing from Canada (JDMdc2lsVtec)

even if you import it to the US and get it safetied there, it can't be imported into canada unless its 15 years old. it doesn't matter if you can register it in the US or not, as long as its 15 yrs old it can't be legalized, thats why even though motorex can safety R34's for the US, they can't be exported to canada. the only way to import it is to give it a "race only" title, meaning it can't ever be changed to a regular driveable title. if it was that easy to import cars less than 15 years old into canada don't you think ppl would already be doing it.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude i think he is talkin about taking car from canada, you said exported into canada.... so.. i dont get what your tryin to say ...
Old 11-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburnerryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude i think he is talkin about taking car from canada, you said exported into canada.... so.. i dont get what your tryin to say ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

A RHD car has to first be exported to Canada before it can be imported from Canada to the States.

Somewhere --&gt; Canada --&gt; US

(cars in Canada are pretty much the same as the ones in the states minus a few differences in options packages and the day time running lights.....etc)
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: (old man neri)

wait nm im sorta lost as to what the thread creator is asking ...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nospace &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard that a RHD EK can be imported from Canada for a relatively cheap price.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

we DO NOT have RHD EK's in canada, we have LHD just like the USA, to get a RHD you would have to import one from japan, UK, australia etc. also insuring a car that wasn't built for your country is a lot harder than to find a regular LHD canadian car and bringing that over the border. my mistake i thought he was a canadian wanting to know how to import RHD ek's into canada.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:48 AM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (super_nguyen)

what he was saying is that import an ek from somewere like japan into canada, then from there into the us. he is not saying a canadain ek is rhd
Old 11-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or you can import them from the Camon Islands since it is under english rule they have RHD cars all over there, or PM Blitzed, he has the hook-up on RHD cars
Old 11-24-2005, 08:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PurpleEKHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what he was saying is that import an ek from somewere like japan into canada, then from there into the us. he is not saying a canadain ek is rhd</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a lot harder to import cars into canada then the US, there is literally no way to import a car from anywhere other than the US into canada unless its 15 years old, and even then some US cars aren't legal in canada, our restrictions are a lot harder to overcome than the US. the only RHD cars in canada are 15 years old, importing a car into canada and then into the US would be the hardest thing to do, it would be a lot easier just directly importing a car into the US.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Q&A: RHD EK importing from Canada (super_nguyen)

Sorry about the confusion; I am a US resident and heard that if you find a RHD EK in Canada, you can bring it to the US for a cheaper price than if you convert it here in the US.

Also, if anyone can give me information on how to import one directly from Japan, that was be awesome too.

I"m not trying to spend 10k to own a RHD car, I'm looking for another car and heard that from a friend of mine.

Can anyone confirm this or give me more insight?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are not willing to spend 10k on a RHD car, don't waste your time looking any further. if you are serious about getting a RHD car, PM me and i can get you the car here in california. i will not be responsible for registration or title. when it comes in, it is for off-road purposes and show use only. Motorex can no longer sell Skylines... long story.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

I never inquired about a Skyline nor do I care if they import Skylines or bunny rabbits, and i can have a hundred thousand people do it for me for a lot of money. I was only asking because I heard it can be done cheaper through Canada. And my biggest issue is the registration and title because i will not off-road my RHD EK. No offense, but you're OT.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it was mentioned before above, you can not import a car into canada without it being 15 years old. if you want a RHD EK, your best bet is to keep your US EK if you have one... and change all the parts into your US EK. Canada has stricter laws than we do in many ways, for example, they can't have EVOs because they didn't pass their crash test...so in that aspect, your JDM&gt;Canada&gt;US EK will not go so well. But like I said, you can buy an EK and swap everything into your US EK. You can pick up most RHD EK for 2000USD plus shipping or about 7000USD for a CTR if you look hard enough on the japanese retired car auctions. Your next problem is that you need to find an import broker, the auction site will not ship you the car complete from Japan to the US.

And the response about Skylines is for the member above that mentioned Motorex.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

Thanks, you said I can "buy" one from Japan for 2000USD but my problem is going to be an import broker. I've heard of people having to import their cars in two pieces from japan? What's that all about and from your experience how much do you think an import broker is going to charge on top of my $2000 for the car.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the actual shipping is only about 900 or thereabouts for standard shipping, it takes about 14-21 days. you will need a bond for about 3000 to have your car taken of the ship. the broker will end up charging something like 350-700 for something of that size, weight, and risk. the taxes will be a bit under a grand...all these figures are ballpark and really depend on who handles your transaction. there are many ways of writing things up. like instead of shipping just a car over, you can ship it full of parts and stuff...so you can waste less space in the container... and split costs with someone that usually has stuff coming in anyways.

oh, and people that say they had to import a car in 2 pieces did so to import parts, not a car...that is one way, but having to rejoin a car is not all that much fun unless you just wanted the parts to transplant anyways.