Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Putting My Big Brother's Car Back Together (Build Thread)

Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Putting My Big Brother's Car Back Together (Build Thread)

Hey guys..

I'm sure this will come off as stupid/dumb/whatever to a lot of people, but I don't care, I don't really have any other options. This is the story behind my brother's car, our relationship, and why I'm asking for help with this. I know that a ton of you guys have had **** stolen; thieves suck.

When I was 14, I had absolutely zero interest in cars. Couldn't even tell you what the manufacturers’ logos were when I saw them. My brother had been working a part time job for quite some time (his first job, I think it was at Spencer’s in the mall?) and saving every penny, but would never tell me what it was for. I didn't care really, as most of us don't have much of a concept of money before our first job!

A few months later, my brother's 17th birthday rolled around. All I remember is my big brother running in to my room with the most excited look on his face, and shaking me awake while saying, "get up dude, you gotta see this!" Not the happiest camper to get awoken early, I grumbled up and put on some clothes really quick and headed outside.

What was out there? My big brother's first car, his new stallion that would take him around the world a million times over (at least he thought it would)! Sitting there in all its glory was a silver 1999 Honda Civic Coupe.

"What is that?" I said.
"It's MY car!" he replied.

Obviously I didn't know this at the time, but it was 100% stock, from the D16Y7 all the way down to the wheels and the automatic transmission! My brother didn't care! It was his! All his hard work finally coming to fruition.

Over the next year or so, I would always find him tinkering, poking, and prodding around his car, figuring out everything he possibly could about the little Civic. Did I ever help or show interested? Nope, didn't care about cars, remember?

Two years had passed since he had gotten his Civic. He had switched jobs a few times by this point, and graduated High School. He had moved out by this point and was out living on his own, so I hadn’t seen him in a while, but he would check in every so often to make sure I was getting good grades, staying out of trouble, the basic big brother type stuff.

One day, he calls me and says “I’m coming to pick you up today when you get home, okay?”
“Alright, what’s up?” I said.
“You’ll see when I get there!” he replied.
For the rest of the day, it ate away at me. What the hell is so exciting that he calls me with a gin so big I can hear it over the phone?!

That was probably one of the longest days of my life, but school finally got out, and when I got home, his car was sitting outside… Except it didn’t look like I remembered at all. It was lower than hell, couldn’t have been more than 2 inches off the ground. The whole thing was tinted dark as hell, the exhaust was huge, it had some black wheels, and it looked amazing. This was the first time in my entire life that I had seen a car and thought “that is cool!”

The second I walked inside, he jumped off the couch and basically ran towards me, gave me a hug, and pulled me back outside. He unlocks the car and we both get in. Immediately I noticed the shift lever was totally different.

“Did you change that?” I said, pointing to his shifter.
“I changed a lot more than that!” he grinned.

He turned the key, and a low rumble filled the car. He put it in reverse (he had done a manual conversion), and we backed out of the driveway. He stopped in the middle of the road and looked over with this huge grin on his face and sat there. Just waiting.

“What’re you doing? Go! Haha” I belted.

Immediately, he rev’d up and dropped the clutch. The force pushed me in to my seat as we rocketed away. When we stopped, I’m sure I had the biggest **** eating gin on my face ever, because he busted out laughing the second he looked over at me.

“That. Was. AWESOME!” I shouted!

The rest of the day was spent cruising around all over town, just driving. We went through the canyon in what felt like a freaking jet that couldn’t be stopped while feeling like it was on rails! When the day finally came to an end, sitting in my driveway, I asked him, “so what did you do to this thing?!” He smiled, pulled the hood latch, and got out. I followed him out and went around to the engine bay.

Sitting in his engine bay was a B20 block with a B18C Type R vtec head. I only knew this at the time because it was what he told me, I didn’t know what the hell that stuff was!

Two years passed with this setup, he would come pick me up pretty much every Saturday and we would go cruise. Canyon runs, racing, drifting when there was snow, whatever. It was probably the most fun I’ve ever had in my life. Finally he decides it’s time to go bigger and better. He looked around for a shop that had a name in the Honda game in our area. After a few weeks of calling around, he picked a shop about 30 minutes away from where he lived. He talked to the guys that ran the shop a few times in person, and one day he dropped his car off with them, and took the bus home.

For the next two years, he hitched rides with friends to work, rode the bus, and eventually bought a fixie bike to get around town with. He finally gets a call saying that his car is ready to go (not the shops fault, my brother had to wait on parts and funds to finish the build), and he takes the bus down to the shop. His baby was ready and waiting in the parking lot for him. He talks to the guys for a while, then gets in his car and heads home.

The next week, we take the car up to RMR (local drag strip) and go for some runs. With a shitty launch (his first real track launch ever), he ran a 13 second pass, don’t recall the exact time. I cheered him on all the way down the track, it was awesome. When he gets back to the pits, he looked frustrated.

“What’s up?” I asked.
“That launch was awful.” He replied.
“I thought it was pretty good.” I responded.
He laughed and we talked about random stuff until his next run.

He lines up, does quick burnout, and then stages. Lights get ready. Yellow, yellow, yellow, green. His car roars to life for a split second then slowly rolls down the track. I don’t remember specifics but he broke a few pieces of his suspension and one of his axles.

Back to the shop! A few months passed after he dropped the car off at the shop and he hadn’t heard anything. He calls in every so often to try and get updates, but nothing.

My brother used to be a very trusting person, so he gave them the benefit of the doubt and just let it ride, trying to get updates every so often.

I’m not sure how he found out about it, but my brother finds out that one of the owners of the shop is in jail in another state, and they hired someone to run the shop while he was locked up. My brother decides that we’re going to pick up the car and fix it ourselves instead of waiting it out so we call our dad to come help us load it up (we didn’t have a truck or trailer to do so). My brother seemed really bummed the whole time we were headed over to the shop, but wouldn’t say why.

We get to the shop, back the truck and trailer in, my brother gets out and heads over to talk to a few people, me and my Dad wait in the truck. A few minutes later, I see 5 or 6 people pushing the car towards the trailer, except the car doesn’t look the same. I was looking at it through the mirror at first, so I turned around to get a better view.

My heart ******* sank. The car was in pieces. Both fenders were gone, the hood was dented, the bumper was nowhere to be seen, his Motegi Traklites had been replaced with steelies, and the worst part of all… The engine bay was empty.

Years of blood, sweat, tears, and work were now nowhere to be found.

We towed the car to my house, unloaded it in to the back of my driveway, and it has sat there ever since. A constant reminder of all the work, money, and time that was stolen from my brother. He told me later that the person hired to run the shop stripped the cars and left. Since this has happened, my brother doesn’t have a heavy interest in cars…

It is very painful to see the person who got me in to cars shun them because of what some shitty people did to him. I live and breathe cars now, and I know that would not be the case if it wasn’t for my brother, his EJ6, and all those Saturdays spent cruising around. Lets show my big brother the other side of the spectrum; people that care, not people who steal **** from someone who has put years in to a car.

So, for my brother’s birthday, about one year from now, I am hoping to have his car put back together and running. The problem is, there’s no way I can afford to do this alone. I need your help!

I have set up a WTB thread on the Honda Marketplace to source all the parts needed to put this car back together. I will buy what I can, but I’m really hoping the Honda community will help me out. If you’ve got parts for an EJ6 B18/B20vtec setup that you’re willing to donate, I will pay the shipping! If not, hit me up with prices and I will do what I can.

Here is the WTB thread! http://hondamarketplace.com/showthre...9#post49911739

You can text me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

As a thank you to anyone that helps me put this car back together, all of your names will be going on the back windshield to remind everyone that we're not all thieves. We don't all steal years of work just to save a buck.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day guys n’ gals.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Putting My Big Brother's Car Back Together

This is how she has sat for over a year now.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Manny.
tldr
Haha, it is indeed a very long wall of text.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. This is more of a build thread, not GD&D and should be placed in the appropriate Civic and/or Build section
2. Never, ever, every post your phone number in a thread openly.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

While you guys are at it, can you donate to the getting JoeBlue drunk fund? He desperately needs to buy vast quantities of cheap booze so he can make some ceremonial Grog.

P.S. OP. I have a JDM high comp B20 engine and B18c tranny here if you want them on the cheap. The engine needs a rebuild, I had some fun with it

I have to part out this Integra before Dec. You can have the whole car for $1k. Also have a chipped ECU and Demon II and Neptune license I would sell for cheap. It's never been installed... Have some exhaust parts as well.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how I feel about this.

I'm tempted to send you my S200.

I'll think about it.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM
brap braaaaap

Read the whole thing.. Thats seriously a bummer. Angus your pepper none the less
Old 08-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
I don't know how I feel about this.

I'm tempted to send you my S200.

I'll think about it.
Thank you for thinking about it.

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22
wow what a story! worth the read.
I'm glad you think so. Took a while to get the courage to post it up.

Originally Posted by JoeBlue
P.S. OP. I have and engine and B18c tranny here if you want them on the cheap. I have to part out this Integra before Dec. You can have the whole car for $1k. Also have a chipped ECU and Demon II and Neptune license..
Where is here? Pretty interested. Please PM me some details.

Originally Posted by terrorhawk
Read the whole thing.. Thats seriously a bummer. Angus your pepper none the less
Thank you for taking the time to read it!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
1. This is more of a build thread, not GD&D and should be placed in the appropriate Civic and/or Build section
2. Never, ever, every post your phone number in a thread openly.
Thank you sir. Thread moved and number deleted.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Thank you sir. Thread moved and number deleted.
Thanks for looking out in regards to the phone number, but the thread has been moved multiple times. Can mods please leave it in GDD? It's a story to discuss, not a build thread or a WTB. The WTB is in the WTB section, and the build thread will get posted when I start putting it back together.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by xKAMRONx
...the thread has been moved multiple times. Can mods please leave it in GDD? It's a story to discuss, not a build thread or a WTB. The WTB is in the WTB section, and the build thread will get posted when I start putting it back together.
This thread will serve as both - discussion and build.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM
ate my pixel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Putting My Big Brother's Car Back Together (Build Thread)

Opie posts phone number...

Thanks for signing up for Cat Facts! You now will receive fun daily facts about CATS! >o<
Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Twixle
Opie posts phone number...

Thanks for signing up for Cat Facts! You now will receive fun daily facts about CATS! >o<
Haha, right? Wasn't really thinking about that when I posted it, was just trying to get this thing going. Posting a thread asking for help makes you think positive and about the good side of people.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Truthfully, the only thing I read was " Lights get ready. Yellow, yellow, yellow, green. His car roars to life for a split second then slowly rolls down the track. I don’t remember specifics but he broke a few pieces of his suspension and one of his axles."

GOD DAMN!!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Truthfully, the only thing I read was " Lights get ready. Yellow, yellow, yellow, green. His car roars to life for a split second then slowly rolls down the track. I don’t remember specifics but he broke a few pieces of his suspension and one of his axles."

GOD DAMN!!
At least you're being honest! Always interesting to see where your eyes land on a wall of text. Thanks for the reply!