Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

possible bent valves on 1.6 del sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible bent valves on 1.6 del sol

I put on the new timming belt and aligned up the timing mark with the crank sproket mark and cam shaft sproket perfectly. Hand cranked the crankshaft bolt to feel a difference in compression and found very little difference.

I installed my compression gage on #1 and got almost no pressure. I kind of questioned my compression guage since I purchaced it 15 years ago. So removed the valve stem so air can pass freely on both ends. Installed it and put my thumb over the top. No air wanted to escape and felt little comming out between my thumb.

Start RPMs were high with all spark plugs installed.

I checked the rocker arms for any excessive slop. If one had a exceptional gap between the rocker arm and the valve stem, then it could mean a bent valve that cannot seat on the valve seats all the way.

In this case, Did not find exceptional sloppiness. I hand felt the gaps between .10-.30 gap.

My correct timming belt marks indicate im on time but no compression indicates bent valves.

I have my thories and one is, The spark plug gap is exceptionly large. I mean, Ive done hundreds of spark plug changes though out the years and these were the worst I have seen so far in terms of exceedinly large gap on the plugs. As she was starting the engine, the cylinders were pre loading with unburnt fuel and the spark was very possibly weak or the spark could not bridge the gap. She also has a very week or dead battery. Once it tried to start, the engine experianced explosive kickback. That would cause the crank sprocket to kick back in the opposite direction. This would cause the timing belt to slip and pistons hitting the valves.

A simular story once happened when a so called mechanic was asking the owner to start her van as he sprayed starting fluid into the intake. Its possible it was to much starting fluid and it caused kickback, breaking the nose off the starter. I told her to take it to a shop because idiots like this are going to scew you over with there incompetance.

So any of you ever had a honda with bent valves? Plese explain your story.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Default Re: possible bent valves on 1.6 del sol

After finding out my 15 year old compression gauge was INOP, borrowed a good friends snap on compression gauge to verify my readings. The compression was 15-30psi across the board. After doing several wet compression readings, the compression kept going up and up and up until it reached 175 psi. So it looks like due to lack of oil changed "I suspect" or engine oil flushes, her rings were stuck in the ring groves of her pistons. Had to do a number of other maintenance related items for the customer then released her vehicle to her.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Trial User

Default Re: possible bent valves on 1.6 del sol

I recently had my timing belt snap on my 93 Del Sol. I bent the #2 cylinder intake (if I'm remembering correctly) valves. I had to have the head pulled, swap in some new valves, etc. Runs fine now.