Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible bad CV Axles question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible bad CV Axles question..

First things first, my car is a '00 Civic SI completely stock <when it comes to brake/suspension anyways> and for the past 2-3 months when I go to leave my house in the morning I let my car roll backwards out of the driveway and as I turn the steering wheel to the left and accelerate slowly, I hear this faint clicking sound just until the wheel is straight again and the clicking goes away.. Well, this morning I leave my house and go to class, and on my way home from class I could hear a very faint rotating/clicking noise while I was driving down the road @ 50mph and as I came to a stop the noise stopped as well.. Well as I started driving again I pulled the wheel to the left a tiny bit and the noise got way louder, and than I pulled the wheel slowly to the right and the noise started to go away..

Ok so I get home and just jacked my car up and looked @ my CV axles and they both physically appear to be fine with no ripped boots or anything, but I remember reading somewhere that the inner joints can go bad and you won't see anything wrong but there could still be an issue.. I grabbed both CV axles and gave them a tug and the passenger side has very little play while the driver side has a little bit more play but still nothing crazy.. And again, it just became noticeably louder to me today..

Now, here's where my question takes place..!?!
I'm new to B series altogether, I've always had single cams with just 2 axles and that's it... Well my SI has an intermediate shaft as well, since it's B series.. Is this rotating/clicking noise something that could be Int. Shaft Related..?? My first assumption was, OK it clicks when I pull to the left so it's the driver side axle, but I don't want to go spend $50 and "hope" that solves my problem.. Just lookin for some refreshing pointers since I haven't had any issues with my car in a while I haven't had to keep up on my HW with these little things haha, thanks in advance...
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible bad CV Axles question..

Wheel bearings!!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really..?? Can I still verify this by pushing/pulling the wheel @ 12 n 6 o'clock..??

edit: it's been verified.. my wheel has play north, south, east, and west..!! @ 12&6 it's got at least 1/8-1/4" play and 3&9 it has about 1/8" play..
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I guess it's off to the store for a wheel bearing and driver side tie rod ='/
Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok update..

When i was taking my wheel off I notice the axle nut wasn't centered on the notch where it was supposed to be, so I tried to tighten it and sure enough, it did a full rotation before moving into place where it should have been notched into the axle.. well I take my car for a spin an now I hear a faint humming, but when I checked my wheels for movement @ 12-6 and 3-9 it has no movement whatsoever anymore..??

So by riding with a semi-loose axle nut, is there a good chance I messed something else up.?? Hense the slight humming, and faint click that I hear every now and then..
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this happen on my bmw. I had to replace the axle, the wheel hub and the bearing. what happens is the spines on the axle and the hub wear down and dont fit tight anymore. so the wiggle enough to work that nut loose and f*** the bearing. I replaced the bearing 3 times before i figure out what it was.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks.. i hope that isn't my issue since I've not heard of it repeatedly happening on any civics... but thanks for the tip..