Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

please help I have a water leak i cant find

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help I have a water leak i cant find

i have a 92 civic hatch back that some how is leaking water into the back of the car. The water runs down and into the spare tire area. i took the rear hatch seal off cleand it and put a sealant into the rubber seal and it still leaks. If any body else has had this problem and has any other ideas please help. Need to fix this asap cause i cant have my kid riding in the back of my with it mildewing. So PLEASE HELP
thanks
Old 12-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (duneracer69)

change out your tail light gaskets. theyre supposed to be changed every so often
Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (plugg'd)

i would put sealant on any place that there is a possibility of leakage. lIke throughout the hatch, around taillights, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the problem is that the water is leaking high up not low like aroung the taillights
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 PM

get it fixed asap. that mildew can jack up your kids respiratory system. and it only will get worse until you fix it.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 PM

did you check your seals around the liftgates?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (lemon_juice)

i have checked every where i could think to checkin the back of the car and the water is coming from up high not down low any other places any body can think
Old 12-29-2005, 04:07 AM

do you an an SI? reason I ask is that it coule be your sunroof drains
Old 12-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

must be your weather strips..
Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (sohc1200cc)

what do you mean wether strips are you talking about the seal around the hatch
Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt its a sunroof drain tube that is clogged. If it were, the water would be draining out of the sunroof, not the rear area.

I once had a leak up top in the drunk of my hatch. It was because one of the rubber seals behind the spoiler. I found it by pulling back the headliner slightly and finding a moist spot. There is a little rubber seal back there behind the spoiler. It's kind of oval shaped and is similar to the rubber seals on the firewall area by the battery. Know which one i'm talking about?

Anyways, somehow it wasn't in all the way and I put it back in and it fixed the leak.
If I were you, I would just take off the entire headliner. It doesn't take that much time, and it's easier to pinpoint the leak.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man thanks for the help i no which gromets you are talking about i will give that a try tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by plugg’d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt its a sunroof drain tube that is clogged. If it were, the water would be draining out of the sunroof, not the rear area. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no the drains go behind the rear 1/4 panel to the trunk..im pretty sure thats the set up in a hatch..integras, i know it is..we kept finding pools of water where the spare tire is and it was the sunroof drain
Old 12-30-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (00CivicGirl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00CivicGirl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no the drains go behind the rear 1/4 panel to the trunk..im pretty sure thats the set up in a hatch..integras, i know it is..we kept finding pools of water where the spare tire is and it was the sunroof drain
</TD></TR></TABLE>
im pretty sure this is the problem, my buddies si was doing the same thing, best way to fix it is buy shooting some compressed air into each drain hole and it should unclog it. goodluck
Old 12-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (Crasian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00CivicGirl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no the drains go behind the rear 1/4 panel to the trunk..im pretty sure thats the set up in a hatch..integras, i know it is..we kept finding pools of water where the spare tire is and it was the sunroof drain</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, im aware of the drain tubes. lemme give you an analogy though, to kind of explain what i was trying to say. If you put a plastic bottle under a faucet and let the water run, the water will eventually exit from where it is entering when it starts overflowing. Unless someone cuts a hole in the bottom. I guess what i'm trying to say is that if there is a clog in the drain tube, any good amount of rain would quickly fill up the drain tube, forcing the water to accumulate in the sunroof area and start pouring out. That is unless someone cut the tube for some stupid reason, or there is something chewing the tube up.. There are these round clip deals, but i doubt they would come loose. theyre pretty secure.

Regardless though, do the hose test . Set a hose on the sunroof, dont blast it, just let it stream out. Water should start dripping out from two points. From the passenger fender area and the back. Make sure u aim the hose so the water would drain to the back drain tube. if there is no water dripping out, then u know its clogged.

u'd have to peel back the headliner and like the guy said blast it with air. You can even get away with using a turkey baster sometimes.. You just gotta smash the ball real fast and do that over and over till the crap comes out of the tube... worked for me =P
Old 12-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys i dont have a sunroof any other ideas to the point where if i cant fix it im gonna sell it
Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a mystery leak like this and it turned out to be one of the rear sunroof drain tubes was out of place after the car had a crash repair done to the back of it...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i took the rear hatch seal off cleand it and put a sealant into the rubber seal and it still leaks. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Huh ?
You mean like rubber/vinyl cleaning/treatment stuff ?
Buy a new seal
Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (alotawatts)

ya man i cleaned the hole surface of the area where the rear seal goes and used a wether stripping sealant.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys i dont have a sunroof any other ideas to the point where if i cant fix it im gonna sell it</TD></TR></TABLE>

water leaks in hatches usually come from tail light gaskets getting old as hell. that is where a lot of water can come through. Trust me, if you use the search for leaks similar to yours, you'll notice that most of them are from old tail light gaskets. Honda recommends you change these routinely anyways so do it. Change both of the tail light gaskets, theyre easy as hell. It's only like 6 bucks at honda. I know you said the leak is coming from "up high", but you make it seem as though it is coming out from one point. How do you not know a small amount is coming from the top and the majority of it is coming out from the tail light gaskets? Another thing is, how do you know it's not condensation that you're seeing and not a leak from up high?

Change out the tail light gaskets, remove the headliner to look for spots where it's leaking. Those are the only 2 things you can do, and theyre really really really easy. It would be a shame if you sold your car because of this without even trying to fix it yourself. We can only tell you so much, and you're ruling out most of our ideas without even trying to investigate for yourself.

Also, try to be more descriptive.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man im not ruling out any thing i tried everything that has been told to me except taking the headliner down the taillight gaskets are new on my car i just put new taillights in the car.I no that the leak is comin in high because i have taken everything out of the back of my car the rear plastic panels the rear seat i mean every thing excpet for the headliner and i will do that tomorrow. I always try to use every bit of info i get on this web site it has helped me out several times in the past and i hope it will in the future.
thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man im not ruling out any thing i tried everything that has been told to me except taking the headliner down the taillight gaskets are new on my car i just put new taillights in the car.I no that the leak is comin in high because i have taken everything out of the back of my car the rear plastic panels the rear seat i mean every thing excpet for the headliner and i will do that tomorrow. I always try to use every bit of info i get on this web site it has helped me out several times in the past and i hope it will in the future.
thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't matter if you got new tail lights or not. The tail light and the gasket are two completely different parts, you know that right?

It's number 4 and 20 in the picture.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya man i no that they are to different parts got new ones of those to. I think i may have figured out where that the leak is coming from it may be coming in top corner where the seal goes the metal is shorter there than the rest of the lip gonna try and work on that will let you no if that fixd it tomorrow. Thank for being such a help man.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id say ure hatch is leakin but since u have ure kid ridin in the back id take it to Safelite autoglass and prolly have them fix it or take a look at it. good luck man
Old 01-02-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: please help I have a water leak i cant find (DAcraze)

i had the same problem before too. I just climbed in the back of the car with a flashlight and had a buddy outside with a garden hose, spraying the car down. after a minute or two it was pretty obvious where the leak was coming from. It was the weather striping in my case.

Quick Reply: please help I have a water leak i cant find