Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Passenger side axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side axle leak

I am having a problem with the passenger side axle leaking I have replaced the seal 3 times. 2 aftermarket ones and 1 oem, I am seating it flush with the transmission and not pushing it in to far and its still leaking.

The seals I am using are for a b16 and the transmission is a JDM b16b trans with lsd. Also seems like the passenger axle isnt locking in the trans. I have an integra axle with new c lip on the end of the axle and when I push it all the way in the trans its easy to pull back out and I am sure I pushed it in all the way.

Is there something in the trans thats messed up not making the axle seat? Am i using the wrong seal or axles? This is getting frurstrating to say the least. Also the car is a 97 hatchback civic with gsr motor. Thanks guys
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Passenger side axle leak

My del sol with b18 and b16 trans passenger axle leaks too haven't tried new seal. Im gonna try that come spring.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How bad is the leak? Is it puking oil or is it more of a drip?

Is the area of the axle that contacts the seal smooth (no rust, rough edges etc)?

Originally Posted by ek.troy
The seals I am using are for a b16 and the transmission is a JDM b16b trans with lsd.
Seals are the same for all 92-00 B series Civics and 94-01 Integra. I have a feeling you knew that, but here's proof if you didn't:

EM1

DC2

ITR

Also seems like the passenger axle isnt locking in the trans. I have an integra axle with new c lip on the end of the axle and when I push it all the way in the trans its easy to pull back out and I am sure I pushed it in all the way.
Shouldn't be easy to pull out at all. I would try bending the C clip out a little.

Is there something in the trans thats messed up not making the axle seat? Am i using the wrong seal or axles? This is getting frurstrating to say the least. Also the car is a 97 hatchback civic with gsr motor. Thanks guys
Take a good look in there. Maybe there is an old C clip suck inside.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for thread jacking but mine is more of a drip and it's a brand new axle. I think it's an axle seal
Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The leak is pretty bad leaves little puddles and you can see a line of fluid following the car lol. Yeah I knew the seals were all the same but I appreciate you looking it up.

I will try to bend the clip some and see if that locks it in. There isn't an old C clip inside it came out with the axle it held in the trans perfect before but i swapped the transmission from my other car.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The leak is pretty bad leaves little puddles and you can see a line of fluid following the car lol. Yeah I knew the seals were all the same but I appreciate you looking it up.

I will try to bend the clip some and see if that locks it in. There isn't an old C clip inside it came out with the axle it held in the trans perfect before but i swapped the transmission from my other car.
Have you figured out the problem yet? mine does the exact same thing and its been replace 3 times!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure that axle is all the way the way in or else it can pop out and grind the ends up a bit leaving you stranded. I would try some permatex aviation, it's dark black sealant that brushes on. Put that on the trans and drive the seal in. Worth a try since the nothing seems to be working.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Emeraldbomber
Have you figured out the problem yet? mine does the exact same thing and its been replace 3 times!
You want the seal flush with case ring around the seal. If the seal is set back too far in the trans
case, even a little, it can leak.

Push it way in and it will puke oil.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcvtec
You want the seal flush with case ring around the seal. If the seal is set back too far in the trans
case, even a little, it can leak.

Push it way in and it will puke oil.

I did make sure it was flush and it still leaks. Its pretty frustrating
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon6 Re: Passenger side axle leak

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same drip/leak problem on my passenger side axle. This all came about the last time I replaced both of my axles, (NAPA Auto Parts). So when noticing this...I figured that I must have nicked the passenger side axle seal when I was popping the old axle out of the transmission. So I went to the Honda dealership and purchased an OEM seal. When I removed the axle from the transmission...the seal didn't show any signs of rips or cuts...but I replaced it with the new one just to be sure...however...I still have the same problem. Could it be a problem with the aftermarket axle from NAPA? The axle locks into place just fine so I'm confused. I am certain that the leak is coming from this point of the transmission.

Honda MTF isn't cheap...please help.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran across several threads like this when searching for the answer to this problem but no one ever followed up. So I'm bumping this thread.

My story:

The inner joint of a passenger side autozone axle pulled apart at the track a couple of months ago. I replaced it with a reman one (actually replaced both at the same time). After replacing the passenger side axle, it began to leak while driving, and a lot of the trans fluid was concentrated on top of the subframe (b18 in ek). I thought that the fluid must be coming from between the axle and trans since the subframe is above the midpoint of the axle in these cars.

I swapped out the reman axle for a new one, but it kept leaking. I inspected the seal which looked good, so I didn't replace it. It still leaked a little bit.

I then wiped down the trans really well and ran a bead of permatex grey along the case near where fluid was dripping. While that cured, I loosened the intermediate shaft bolts a little bit. I then placed the end of a breaker bar on the inner housing and smacked it with a hammer until I was sure it could go no further. Problem solved. No more leaking.

As far as Honda mtf being expensive, I just catch it in an iced tea pitcher and put a lid on it when I'm doing transmission service. Then reuse it.