Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

parking brake cable (seized?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake cable (seized?)

ya so my parking brake cable sometimes gets stuck but only if I pull it really hard because usually it doesn't work at all. So I thought I would fix it myself. I like doing auto mechanics but it's a learning process.

Anyways so the first thing I did was checked out the equalizer under the center console looks like the cables are uneven and look bent even...they Don't seem to be moving but I tighten up the adjusting nut a bit anyways.

Next I took off the drum and the brake shoe assembly. I think I found the parking brake cable on the otherside of the shoe assembly but I can't figure out how to disconnect it? I am likely going to replace the drums and/or shoes(**** I wish I had a caliper) Anyways, I don't know what to do now.. i would really like to get that cable free. It's got a kind of open collar can I just pull it through or should I attempt to take the nut off. Maybe I have since taking the shoe assembly off got the parking brake stuck?? I don't know where to go from here.

Anyways, I'm hoping someone can help this noob.

in this picture you can see how I think it might slide out from out of there.
in this picture it shows the nut
Old 01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: parking brake cable (seized?)

You need to hold onto that "nut" looking thing at the end of the cable then use the other end to push the spring away from the "nut." Then simply slide it out of the slot where it goes into the big piece of metal.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 PM

i try and i try and its too ****ing tight with pliers and screwdriver...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Sometimes the self adjusting star mechanism (adjuster bolt) for drum brakes seizes up and causes parking brake problems. Have you disassembled the mechanisms and verified that the adjuster bolt and clevises spin freely?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by t_mac
i try and i try and its too ****ing tight with pliers and screwdriver...
Use a vice grips and grip the nut portion with it, then get behind the spring with a side cutters and pull it away from the nut, then just slide the nut away from the lever. It's not that hard man. If you can, get someone to help you out.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Sometimes the self adjusting star mechanism (adjuster bolt) for drum brakes seizes up and causes parking brake problems. Have you disassembled the mechanisms and verified that the adjuster bolt and clevises spin freely?

i havent dissaembled it, no. im just following the steps as close as possible in the service manual. they do seem to be a little stiff though, but they do turn.

i dont have vice grips, doh! i would think there wouldnt be enough clearance to grip that nut and pull it out past that bracket. i ran into this problem with the pliars. i will try the vice grips when i get some, later. i just wish there was a way to loosen the brake cable cause I think its jammed. is there an adjuster on the backside of the backing plate? I removed a little rubber codpiece but I don't know anything about it... what tool do I use. Or is that for the master cylinder.?

anyhoo... I dont really understand this diagram from the manual for my car:

(i do understand it, but it so clearly is not a 12mm offset wrench cause I went out and bought one for this job without looking at it beforehand. and doesnt fit._)
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by t_mac
i havent dissaembled it, no. im just following the steps as close as possible in the service manual. they do seem to be a little stiff though, but they do turn.
You should disassemble, clean, and lubricate the self adjust mechanisms. A failure of the rear brakes to self adjust properly could explain the parking brake problem and the uneveness of the parking brake cable.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
You should disassemble, clean, and lubricate the self adjust mechanisms. A failure of the rear brakes to self adjust properly could explain the parking brake problem and the uneveness of the parking brake cable.
thanks for the tip... im going to have to hold off til tomm to finish.. hope everything comes together then(rather apart)

also, I did not end up picking up vice grips because I found a parking brake cable remover tool. They had other brake tools, hopefully I won't have to make a return trip.