Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating: thermostat pulled, rad flushed, no coolant flow out top hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating: thermostat pulled, rad flushed, no coolant flow out top hose

tried to encompass everything in the header. Car overheats after a while, faster while driving. It is clear that there is no coolant circulating (hot upper hose (but no fluid inside), cold lower hose).

I pulled the upper hose off the head and ran a hose through it; went out the bottom hose unimpeded. I think: that means that the radiator is not clogged

I removed the thermostat from the housing and ran it (thermo is still out), and there was no change at all; still overheating, still cold lower hose, hot upper, no flow out of top hose. I think: that means the thermo isn't the cause of the problem.

I replaced the top hose onto the head and removed it from the radiator (dangerous, i know, but I had a feeling that no water was going to come out anyway) and ran the motor until it was hot. Some steam came out, hose got hot, but no coolant pumped out. I think: that this means the water pump is the cause of my overheating ------- this doesn't make much sense, seeing as how I just replaced the WP 300 miles ago. Faulty water pump?

I ran the hose into the thermostat housing with and the water pushed out a fair amount of coolant (the remaining coolant in the block) and then water, unimpeded. I think: that means there is no blockage within the motor.

There is no white smoke. I think: that means it's not (yet) my head gasket.

So, is it the water pump, or did I miss something in my diagnostics?

Please and thank you..
Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 PM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating: thermostat pulled, rad flushed, no coolant flow out top hose

Possibly the heater core?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating: thermostat pulled, rad flushed, no coolant flow out top hose

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Possibly the heater core?
Good point.

Brings up something I forgot to mention: turn on heater full blast and it doesn't blow hot at all.

How do I flush the heater core? Would the heater core being clogged cause ALL coolant to not flow through the motor?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 PM
EK9

You can take both hoses off and spray water through one of the heater core fittings and see if water comes out the other one
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heater core is clear (took hoses off, blew through it with my mouth. pushed out pure anti-freeze, no debris)

I hooked all the hoses up one more time and ran the water house through the radiator via the top rad hose and clean, clear water promptly sprayed out of the hole the hose would attach to on the head.

So, I am going to go ahead and work my way toward the water pump. Still checking back periodically so verification from those smarter than I on the subject...

Am I lost, or is the water pump the likely culprit?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Impeller on the water pump may have sheared off. Has it been replaced?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondad6
Impeller on the water pump may have sheared off. Has it been replaced?
I replaced the water pump about 300 miles ago. It has worked fine up until a couple of days ago, and the car overheated without any catastrophic noise or engine reaction. So, yeah, I don't know how the water pump would be broken, but that is the only thing that I could think would fit this set of issues.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, if it is an advanced, or auto zone one, I have seen a couple of them where the impeller just fell off no noise no anything. I wish I had pictures. Then I have had some that are just fine. If the top hose is off, and no water if flowing with the thermostat out, there is either a massive blockage or the impeller is not moving water for some reason.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id start with the waterpump. that will propbably be the problem, if not the i would check the radiator for a clogged one, but id learn toward the cheap waterpump. try oem
Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

i see more defective parts coming out of advance/pepboys etc then I see good. start with the waterpump...and get oem
Old 07-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Trial User

chek ur hetter sensor
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by type_r_ek
id start with the waterpump. that will propbably be the problem, if not the i would check the radiator for a clogged one, but id learn toward the cheap waterpump. try oem
Got the water pump off just now, and there is no problem with it that I can tell... so I am just going to install the new pump, return the old one, and slap it all back together. If it works after this, I will be happy, stumped.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am stumped as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-are you leaking coolant?

-any previous headgasket failure?(might lead to radiator getting clogged up)

-water pump might be bad
Old 01-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Overheating: thermostat pulled, rad flushed, no coolant flow out top hose

Ok im going to comment on this thread so i dont get thrashed for starting a brand new one.... For starters i have a b16a in a eg hatch... The car runs fine; but overheats..... i have changed the thermostat checked to make sure the radiator isnt leaking. Changed the fan switch.... closed everything up and it still continues to overheat...... the top hose is hot the bottom is cold as if there is nothing in it... Im guessing it is because there is air in the hose.... which isnt allowing anit freezing to reach the brand new thermostat that i tested and replaced ( although other one was fine) therefor the t stat isnt heating up and opening as it should.... how do i bleed the bottom hose without a bleeder screw??? and yes i have sat there for like 30 min wit the car idling filling up the radiator even though its full so that way doesnt work????!!?!?!?! please need help
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't revive old threads. THAT'S what you'll get bashed for. Start your own thread and give all the pertinent information like model of the car, engine, modifications, and any repairs/troubleshooting you've done already.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can't win. Revive an old thread, you'll get bashed. Start a new thread and get bashed for not searching. It's a lose lose.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Curious what OP problem was
Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a car problem and want to reference an old thread, start a new thread and link the old thread. Don't revive old threads...it only clutters the forum.