Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem

Hello all,

I have a slight over heating problem, the crazy part about it is it'll only happen when I'm at a stop or going really slow. Other than that, the car starts just fine and runs fine.
The only other thing that is going on is when the car is sitting still it'll make a slight hissing sound, not sure what this is. But it subsides after a while.

I took the car to a mechanic and had the thermostat replaced. That didn't fix the problem even though he didn't replace the thermostat gasket which I had with the new t-stat. I took the car to another mechanic and had it looked at and he said it was the head gasket blown because when cooled the radiator down and took the cap off and hit the throttle the antifreeze came back out of the radiator. I'm not too sure about what he said though.

Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Overheating problem (xBlackMikex)

does you radiator fan work properly?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Overheating problem (jonathan13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonathan13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does you radiator fan work properly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

either check the fan

what happened to mine was the swtich on the thermostat housing went bad..
Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Overheating problem (one slow coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one slow coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

either check the fan

what happened to mine was the swtich on the thermostat housing went bad.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1
it seems like perfect since at the red light or slow driving there wont be air hitting you radiator making up for the non functional fan.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Overheating problem (jonathan13)

Great! Replies.

Yeh, the fan works, I even hard switched the fan on with a switch. Still did it at some parts of town/lights.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problem

If you want to check if your fan activates you can...

1. pop your hood
2. take off your radiator cap (when the motor is cool)
3. start up the car
4. let it idle for 15-20 (this will give the engine enough time to warm up)

Note: ^^ this will also "burp" your system (release air bubbles)

The fan should activate in this time frame. If your temp starts to rise and your fan does not activate then go grab a paper clip and...

5. locate your thermoswitch (brass in color) on your thermostat housing
6. unplug the harness connector (grey in color) and you will see two female ports
7. take a paper clip and stick each end of the clip into the female ports of the harness connector

This will activate your relay/fan. You should hear a click from the relay located in the fuse box, located by the passenger side (firewall) and also your fan should activate. If your fan turns on then your thermoswitch is bad. I think it costs about $20 from SLhondaparts.com or hondapartsdeals.com and should take a 22mm wrench to remove it. Its a really simple project.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Overheating problem (95ProjectEJ1)

About to try this now.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similas problem. But the weird thing is that it doesn't overheat if i have the air temp. **** on hot. what do you guys think could be the problem?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM

95ProjectEJ1,

I did that and the fan kicked on. A ton of bubbles came up as well. I put the rad. cap back on and shut the car off. Hopefully, this will work. Will keep you and everyone else posted.

Also changed the spark plug wires while I was in there. They were pretty old.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, you have successfully burped the system and have confirmed that your fan does activate, which means that your thermoswitch, relay and fan are all good.

If it still starts to overheat I would check your overflow tank and see if there is black film present. Black film is created when exhaust fumes mix with your coolant via your headgasket. Rev her up a lil bit too and have someone check for white smoke exiting your muffler.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Overheating problem (95ProjectEJ1)

check your oil if it looks milky then its your head gasket. see if there are any hose leak. if your radiator is fine and you just changed the thermal-stat, then it could really be your radiator cap. it could be old and is not opening at the right amount of pressure. worked on my friend's car.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:05 PM

check your thermostat, the switch that turns on you fan, or you rad cap too truth be told that could sometimes be the problem
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

don't take it back to either of those two mechanics. they are screwing your car up.

of course fluid is gonna come out of the radiator when you rev it up, you're spinning the waterpump faster. do this all the time at work. a consistent flow of bubbles from the uncapped radiator after the fans have cycled several times is reason to have the car checked for a bad headgasket, but certainly not an absolute symptom. a couple of diffrent things can happen with a bad head gasket. one or a combination of symptoms can occur. the real test is a compression test.

you should also have your coolant system pressure tested. and monitor the level frequently.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Ok, so my car one day was perfect on the highway, and when i came to a toll plaza, it shut off from over heating. It ended up I had a tiny leak in my radiator hose and when i took a hard turn, something happened and it got bigger. Check the hose EXTREMELY well. You could barely see it with the eye, but i could smell it. Just a suggestion
Old 09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating problem (eg6503)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6503 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your thermostat, the switch that turns on you fan, or you rad cap too truth be told that could sometimes be the problem </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xBlackMikex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I took the car to a mechanic and had the thermostat replaced. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xBlackMikex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">95ProjectEJ1,

I did that and the fan kicked on. A ton of bubbles came up as well.
Also changed the spark plug wires while I was in there. They were pretty old.</TD></TR></TABLE>