Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating motor causing my motor to stall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating motor causing my motor to stall?

First off, I have a 2000 Honda Civic sedan. It has a d16y7 automatic w/ about 130k on it, idle is at 500rpm . timing belt was replaced about 3 years ago, dizzy was rebuilt 6 months ago, spark plugs and wires were replaced 6 months ago as well, thermostat was replaced 2 weeks ago and the cooling fan switch was replaced a few days ago. however the car is still over heating. i was told it could be:

1. cooling fan relay
2. water pump going bad
3. head gasket is blown

with this being the case, i had the fan jumped to continue running while the car was on until i could find time to get it looked at.

now the overheating is no longer my primary concern. since yesterday, my car has been stalling in the middle of driving. i had exited the freeway to go to the store, i had just pulled into the parking lot and the car simply died. i put the car in neutral and it started....drove it 20 feet and it died again. pulled into a parking spot to check my motor...thinking it could be the radiator killing my battery from being on continuously. after i plugged the switch back on, i left to drive home, but took the side streets. car died about 6 more times before i got home. i didnt go to work today because i was afraid to drive 30 miles and having my car die in the middle of the freeway. i called my friend to see if his brother could look at it as he works as a mechanic at carmax. he checked my car out today and said the coolant level was kind of low, so he filled it up and said it should be okay. he said that the motor probably didnt have enough coolant to get to the idle control valve or something like that and that is the reason my idle is so low.

so i thought everything was dandy. i parked the car outside for a while and went to pick up some seats for my friends car. came back and started my car fine....let it warm up and drove about a mile before it died...now i'm just stumped...has anyone had this problem? any help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance.

cliffs:
*car was overheating, replaced the thermostat and fan switch
*car still overheats, so i jumped the radiator fan
*car begins to die in the middle of driving

Last edited by LiL accORd RideR; 07-23-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating motor causing my motor to stall?

Bump for a resolution.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks george
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey lil,

have you began any diag yet?

for the overheating - if the car overheats at a stop & cools when you drive it's either a pump or HG. Pump could be old an worn, not flowing the same vol. as it once did at idle. If it's a headgasket sometimes you will notice the coolant res. fill an empty itself.

for the stalling - the fuel pump/sending unit can be overheated or on it's last limb - Rare. To test if it's the fuel pump, warm the car up let it die, turn key to on pos. and listen for the fuel pump to turn on.

it could be a bad IAC

a bad IGN module

...remember a car needs 3 things to run air, fuel, spark - which one are you loosing???and how???

(side note: Check the ground cable behind the fuse box/strut tower check if it is loose, if it is corroded, clean it, re-secure it, this was an issue w/ HG951's car when I helped him last.)

I hope that helps. I'll check back tomorrow.

RARE
Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks bro, i appreciate the help, i will check all that out tomorrow. i will post any updates if there are any.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How is your oil level, oil pressure, coolant level, cooling system pressure?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Driving with an engine that overheats will destroy it. You need to fix the overheating problem now because otherwise the engine will be irreversibly damaged, if it isn't already.

Is the CEL on?

Leave the fan switch jumped until the problem is resolved. Have you bled the cooling system? Have you replaced the thermostat and radiator cap? Is white smoke blowing from the exhaust? Have you compression tested the cylinders?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

call us (909)539-7436
Old 07-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it appears that the headgasket is blown at the first cylinder so thats why there isnt coolant or oil mixed together...yet. so thats the overheating problem. as for the stalling problem, he said it could be linked to the headgasket...but not sure...so all i need now is a new headgasket and have my head resurfaced.