Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil in radiator, no coolant in engine oil??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in radiator, no coolant in engine oil??

I've been running my 94 civic for 176k miles and lately I've been noticing some traces of oil in the coolant in my radiator. In turn, I checked the engine oil if there was coolant, but there doesn't seem to be any trace of it. I've also been having to put more coolant more often than I should.

My car has had a history of a blown head gasket.. I may probably need a swap.. but is there anything I can check on my own to make sure it's not the engine block?

Last edited by gotduhflo; 06-06-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil in radiator, no coolant in engine oil??

Yes, rent a block tester.

And you need to supply more info. Block, ECU, Codes, etc.. read the sticky above (is what everyone else will say if you don't)
Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll get more info and let you know soon. And thank you!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Bone stock 94 Civic?

The head gasket is almost surely blown, if the oil is engine oil. Do you have a manual or auto transmission?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it's a bone stock 94 civic, automatic transmission.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

It would be helpful to know what trim level of the 94 civic.

The EX/SI and VX used a different head gasket than the CX/DX.

The CX/DX is the one that will be high probability of being blown at 176K miles. The EX/SI/VX can go 300K+ miles before giving out so is lower probability.

Part of the equation of course is the history of bad head gasket before. What is unknown is what was done with the repair and how bad the car overheated the first head gasket problem. Also, what gasket was used to repair? These are all things that can have a significant impact.

The trim level of the car will rule out some of the variables as only certain trim levels used the graphite gaskets.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Given that it has a "history" of a blown head gasket, at this point, the trim is less than relevant, but it's still required information. More relevant, though, would be what kind of HG was used when it was replaced last (or what was done, if it wasn't replaced).
Old 06-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Given that it has a "history" of a blown head gasket, at this point, the trim is less than relevant, but it's still required information. More relevant, though, would be what kind of HG was used when it was replaced last (or what was done, if it wasn't replaced).
And what all was done when replaced.

The reason I was looking at trim level is if it's the CX/DX, the replacer might have used the same regular crappy graphite gasket to replace and thus.... the issue returns. Not everyone knows about the TSB for the 88-95 non vtec motors.

If it's not a CX/DX then an auto parts store isn't likely to have a graphite gasket available as the other trims only used MLS gaskets as far as I know.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Eh, you'd be surprised. There was a guy not a week ago who posted about re-using his head gasket, I believe you and I both commented on his thread. It was a D16Y7, but the parts store HG was still a composite piece of ****.

Companies love cutting corners to make an extra buck. If that means offering a shitty composite HG that'll "keep customers coming back" every couple years, they don't give a ****.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Eh, you'd be surprised. There was a guy not a week ago who posted about re-using his head gasket, I believe you and I both commented on his thread. It was a D16Y7, but the parts store HG was still a composite piece of ****.

Companies love cutting corners to make an extra buck. If that means offering a shitty composite HG that'll "keep customers coming back" every couple years, they don't give a ****.
Good point, the all mighty dollar.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
It would be helpful to know what trim level of the 94 civic.

The EX/SI and VX used a different head gasket than the CX/DX.

The CX/DX is the one that will be high probability of being blown at 176K miles. The EX/SI/VX can go 300K+ miles before giving out so is lower probability.

Part of the equation of course is the history of bad head gasket before. What is unknown is what was done with the repair and how bad the car overheated the first head gasket problem. Also, what gasket was used to repair? These are all things that can have a significant impact.

The trim level of the car will rule out some of the variables as only certain trim levels used the graphite gaskets.
Oh I see.. So the trim level of my 94 civic is a DX with a d15b7 motor. It has had a history with a bad HG, although I'm not sure what kinda quality HG my mechanic had replaced it with. I'll need to find the papers regarding the repair.

My car has overheated a lot.. I had pushed it to the point where a cloud of white coolant smoke came out of the exhaust. I've also been using water as an alternative sometimes because of the major loss of coolant that happens frequently with the car.. I couldn't afford to fix the head gasket and I didn't have a second car, so I've been pushing the car around a lot.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by gotduhflo
Oh I see.. So the trim level of my 94 civic is a DX with a d15b7 motor. It has had a history with a bad HG, although I'm not sure what kinda quality HG my mechanic had replaced it with. I'll need to find the papers regarding the repair.

My car has overheated a lot.. I had pushed it to the point where a cloud of white coolant smoke came out of the exhaust. I've also been using water as an alternative sometimes because of the major loss of coolant that happens frequently with the car.. I couldn't afford to fix the head gasket and I didn't have a second car, so I've been pushing the car around a lot.
Your cheapest option is to do a motor swap, preferably with a D16Z6 motor.

If not then you have serious machine work to be done if the warp isn't severe enough to warrant scrapping the block and head.

Here is the TSB for the D15B7 and all other 88-95 non vtec motors:

Name:  97-047TSB.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  279.0 KB
Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Your cheapest option is to do a motor swap, preferably with a D16Z6 motor.

If not then you have serious machine work to be done if the warp isn't severe enough to warrant scrapping the block and head.

Here is the TSB for the D15B7 and all other 88-95 non vtec motors:

Attachment 396479
Appreciate the advice. Thank you!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Sol to Sol

Yeah, the z6 is a great combo of good gas mileage. i get about 30 manual(I rag it a lil), and dads auto got up to 33-35, and is still powerful enough to get outta its own way! lol

I was just trying to get outta the way of a Lexus SUV the other day, and they decided to race me down the onramp. They couldn't pass me up to 80 lol.

Read the FAQs, they have tons of swap info. Like you will need a P28 (manual)

Also, don't let these engines get to the point where they are blowing smoke. By then its way too late. dads warped its head and it wasn't even blowing, just overheating. Pull over as soon as you notice it.. BUT, when you get your z6, do the waterpump/timing belt, and new thermostat, and you should be good for years to come!

Good luck!