Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

obd2 obd1 wiring problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd2 obd1 wiring problems

Alright here we go.......

I had a 00 usdm obd2 B16a2 engine in my 95 honda civic that was being controlled by a p30 jdm obd1 ecu. I bent a rod in my si engine so I replaced the motor with a jdm 95 B16a3 from a dohc vtec sir-II. Now the problem is that the new motor was obd1 and did not come with the wiring harness so we grafted alternator, intake manifold and other obd2 compatible parts from the si engine to the jdm motor so we could hook the motor up to run obd2. The distributor from the si was not functioning so what I did was took the distributor from the jdm motor and had the plugs professionally changed over from obd1 to obd2.

Now when we hooked up the distributor to the rest of the engine the check engine light came on and the engine didn't receive any spark. From what I understand this happened because the obd2 engine has the wires to connect to the crank angle sensor located down by the timing belt ( the crank angle sensor is connected to the oil pump or something to that effect). In obd1 cars the crank angle sensor is located in the distributor. The one solution that we came up was to connect the old crank sensor from the si to the jdm engine but the oil pump on the jdm engine didn’t have a mounting location for the sensor (ya'll still with me?).
So I don’t want to have to spend time and money looking for a new oil pump that has the connections for the sensor. My question is if I were to get a distributor from an obd1 car and a obd1 wiring harness will that fix my problem. If I made any mistakes please correct me, this problem has been making my head spin for the last 3 weeks. You help is greatly appreciated.

But now I’m confused. I can't seem to understand why if we re-wired the obd1 distributor to a obd2 format why the p30 ecu won't read the crank angle sensor that is located inside of it? (Unless, that is that the harness would have to be that of an obd1 to read it, which would mean that we would have to convert the distributor back to it original configuration. And then pick up a obd1 harness from God knows where. Damn this is hard. Some one should really teach a class in this.

(Now lets see who's the man.)
Old 07-28-2004, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

up for you sir
Old 07-28-2004, 10:02 PM

yeah tru
Old 07-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obd2 obd1 wiring problems (bent_remy)

jdm B16a3 huh? pretty sure that it doesn't exist

no real info, just had to say it
and remember where you live, it's ok to be American (just like your B16a3)
JDM is NOT the coolest thing ever.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Re: obd2 obd1 wiring problems (bent_remy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bent_remy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

(1) Now when we hooked up the distributor to the rest of the engine the check engine light came on and the engine didn't receive any spark.

(2) From what I understand this happened because the obd2 engine has the wires to connect to the crank angle sensor located down by the timing belt.( the crank angle sensor is connected to the oil pump or something to that effect).

(3) But now I’m confused. I can't seem to understand why if we re-wired the obd1 distributor to a obd2 format why the p30 ecu won't read the crank angle sensor that is located inside of it?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

(1) What codes are you throwing? Sounds like the distributor wiring is whacked up.

(2) OBD2 engines have a crankshaft fluctuation sensor mounted on the oil pump. OBD1 cars do not have this on the oil pump or anywhere else for that matter. OBD1 and OBD2 distributors have the same 3 sensors inside of them (cylinder position, crankshaft position, and top dead center).

(3) If the wiring is correct, the P30 will operate on the OBD2 distributor just fine. You don't need an OBD2 oil pump or a crankshaft fluctuation sensor. Save your money and fix your wiring.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Re: obd2 obd1 wiring problems (CivicVX94)

FYI it does exist. Come and read it off my block.