Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Not enough fluid in tranny = VSS not working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough fluid in tranny = VSS not working?

I been searching for a fix to my cars speedo problem. My speed and trip meter aren't working. Everything else works: RPM, gas, temp., ect. I changed the speedometer out once already and that didn't get it to work. Changed the VSS out twice already and that didn't seem to work either. I'm throwing a CEL 17 which is the VSS. I checked the connections on the VSS and the wires that connects to the VSS and they look fine. I'm basically stuck now. I read a few post about tranny fluid making the VSS work. I was wondering if having low tranny fluid is causing my VSS to not work? I'm not sure if I have low tranny fluid, but if this is one of the way's the VSS operates, then I'm thinking about flushing out my tranny. If the tranny fluid doesn't influence the VSS's operation then I'm back to being stuck on this dam problem.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not enough fluid in tranny = VSS not working?

I have seen a few problems from the connector being wore out
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

fluid doesn't affect it, it's gear driven off a gear on the diff. Plug is probably bad, or you have a blown fuse, other wiring problem, bad ECU.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
fluid doesn't affect it, it's gear driven off a gear on the diff. Plug is probably bad, or you have a blown fuse, other wiring problem, bad ECU.
By the way my car is a 95 Civic EX. Can you tell me know where the fuse for the VSS/Speedomtere can be found at? I checked all of the fuses and all seem fine but I may have overlooked it. I haven't changed out the ECU yet. Don't know anyone with the same car as me so I can't change that out anytime soon. The speedometer was working fine when my brother had the car. He did a GSR swap and when he decided to sell me the car he swapped back the D16Z6 in and the speedo never worked since then. I swapped out the D16 for a D15B and when I first took the car out on the freeway, the speed jumped a bit, worked for the 20 mile drive and then just died out and never started ever again.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried checking the voltage to the vss? Check the ground wire for the vss? Signal wire out of the vss? I just had the same issue on my 94 ex. I changed out the cluster and that didn't work. Checked the vss and it seemed fine also. After closer inspection, my plug going to the vss was bad. I saw very little corosion on the plug and the vss so I didn't think that was the problem. I just went and bought a used plug from a cut harness for $5 and it fixed it. I couldn't be happier. Good luck. Hope this helps!