Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noisy PS Pump.. Honda Fluid Only or keep Bleeding??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy PS Pump.. Honda Fluid Only or keep Bleeding??

I recently swapped my B16 out of my cx hatch into my ex coupe and in the process put power steering on it..

I read how to bleed the system since it was disconnected in-between swaps and air got into the lines and i have bled the system between 15-20 times each day over the past two days and it still makes that winding noise and it goes up and down with the revs and when i turn it gets louder too...

There is much less air in the line as there are few bubbles when i start it and they take longer to start forming however I dont understand how its not completely bled by now after repeating the process multiple times and making sure the reservoir was always at or above the cold line..

Also the belt is not too tight as ive read that would prematurely wear the pump out as well

My question is do I need to order some Honda Power Steering Fluid as ive read in a few threads that i searched that hondas need the specific fluid to operate properly or do i just need to keep bleeding air out of the system???

Or is my power steering pump bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is quite an annoying problem especially since I put the stock exhaust on there so all i can hear is the stupid power steering pump..

Thanks in advance
-Lasky
Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noisy PS Pump.. Honda Fluid Only or keep Bleeding??

belt on tight?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shawn_crx
belt on tight?
Its on snug but not too tight.. i can wiggle it back and forth a little with my hands
Old 08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not back and forth but like up and down in the middle of it
Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nobody else has any suggestions?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need honda PS fluid, its special fluid designed for their pumps....

you can buy it at pepboys or autozone for around 8-9 bucks. GUNK is the company tha makes it. you will need around 2 1/2 bottles to fill the whole system.

*the bottle will say specifically for honda/acura vehicles
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

belt should only have .5" - 1" of deflection in either direction. so a max of .5" in either direction.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
you need honda PS fluid, its special fluid designed for their pumps....

you can buy it at pepboys or autozone for around 8-9 bucks. GUNK is the company tha makes it. you will need around 2 1/2 bottles to fill the whole system.

*the bottle will say specifically for honda/acura vehicles
thats what i was thinking.. so it will stop making that weird noise after i flush the system and refill it?

Originally Posted by Anon51
belt should only have .5" - 1" of deflection in either direction. so a max of .5" in either direction.
yea it only has around half inch of deflection in either direction
Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lasky
thats what i was thinking.. so it will stop making that weird noise after i flush the system and refill it?
Actually, since you have been running non-honda fluid (im assuming here), it might work and it might now. The honda ps fluid has compounds to preserve the life of the pump and the rack and pinion. In fact, my rack and pinion went out on me after prolonged use of non-honda ps fluid.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you may NOT use any other fluid other than oem ps fluid. u must buy it at the dealership. it does not matter that you know the company that makes the fluid for honda, you have to buy it in an oem container. chances are that u been running non-oem fluid and have already damaged the pump. here is what i would do, go to honda and and purchase a couple bottles of p/s fluid, go home bleed the system of as much fluid as you can reconnect everything then pour in the bottle till fill line, start the car and rotate wheel to left and right lock to draw the fluid into the rack, top off as necessary, the fluid will foam a little so give it time to un-foam and repeat. now if the fluid level is stabalized while turning and your pump is still noisy, your goung to need a new pump.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ2-Fluffy
Actually, since you have been running non-honda fluid (im assuming here), it might work and it might now. The honda ps fluid has compounds to preserve the life of the pump and the rack and pinion. In fact, my rack and pinion went out on me after prolonged use of non-honda ps fluid.
damn that would be shitty if i blew my rack and pinion out.. ive only been driving the car for a week so hopefully not much damage has been done if any...

Originally Posted by tico
you may NOT use any other fluid other than oem ps fluid. u must buy it at the dealership. it does not matter that you know the company that makes the fluid for honda, you have to buy it in an oem container. chances are that u been running non-oem fluid and have already damaged the pump. here is what i would do, go to honda and and purchase a couple bottles of p/s fluid, go home bleed the system of as much fluid as you can reconnect everything then pour in the bottle till fill line, start the car and rotate wheel to left and right lock to draw the fluid into the rack, top off as necessary, the fluid will foam a little so give it time to un-foam and repeat. now if the fluid level is stabalized while turning and your pump is still noisy, your goung to need a new pump.
yea i got the whole bleeding process down pat.. performed it like 30 times over the weekend :x hahaha... but this is the exact answer i was looking for thanks tico, and hopefully pump is still in operable shape

thanks for all the input guys.. goin to get some OEM PS fluid tomorrow and get this situation taken care of