Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

no thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no thermostat

wat is the worse that wud happen if i ran my d16z6 with no thermostat. how long cud i drive without one before causing problems. wat wud happen?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: no thermostat (Boostn B20)

Don't do it. The engine will run cold and therefore too rich. Your gas mileage will go down, and you may kill the cat. The engine will not perform optimally.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry man. i practice safe driving. i don't kill cats. (j/k) . nah seriously thanks for that. but why wud it run cold if my temp gauge is at the normal midway?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostn B20)

I see you live in Puerto Rico, so the negative effects of removing the thermostat may be less than if you lived in a colder climate. Nonetheless, even in a tropical climate, the thermostat helps the engine maintain proper temperature, which is required for optimal engine performance. I's an inexpensive part to replace, and there's no benefit to removing it.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostn B20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> why wud it run cold if my temp gauge is at the normal midway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep an Eye on your temperature guage as you drive it will fluctuate at standstill / traffic it will be at normal temperature but while driving it should drop way down "correct me if im wrong" also cold start is going to be fun especially in winter because you have a constant flow of water, a thermostat just helps provide an optimal working temperature , not too hot and not too cold " but i have a (it's there for a reason Policy ) as for side affects i don't know of any.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah. i plan n replacing. i like that "it's there for a reason Policy" i believe in it to. i jus have to be able to drive to autozone without it. aslo. u guys mentioned about it going below. i ran my car for bout 25 min. bout 10 of it was drive and 15 idle. the temp gauge never moved from this point. (please wrk wit me im gonna try my best
C........m.l.l......H
the two lines is where my temp gauge sat the whole time. never moved.is this normal. no thermostat.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems high. My needle always points below the halfway mark. Are you having any overheating problems?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. thas why i took the thermostat off. because i thought the thermostat was bad. wen i had the thermostat in the needle was higher than that but not by much
C........m...l.l....H
thats where it sat before i shut it off from frustration.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you losing coolant or is there a coolant leak?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope
Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM

take off one of your hoses and put a water hose into it, flush the entire system. put a new thermostat in and fill it up with coolant. drive it around for a while. also check your wires going to your fan and the relays.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can i flush tit thru the engine????
Old 10-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oooo. before i forget. my entire system rite now is just water. i din't want to mess up my garage floor with coolant stains before i find out wat the problem is. maybe that is why my temp gauge reads a lil higher than most others. my boy told me that water evaporates faster causing heat to rise more than coolant....can anyone verify
Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: no thermostat (RonJ@HT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonJ@HT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't do it. The engine will run cold and therefore too rich. Your gas mileage will go down, and you may kill the cat. The engine will not perform optimally.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you high?

The thermostat doesn't close once the engine has reached standard operating temperature. It has nothing to do with your gas mileage. Nor does it the cat, nor does it your engine's performance unless you're flooring it right after starting it without giving it a chance to warm up - in which case you have bigger things to worry about. Do you actually know what the thermostat does on the car, or are you just pulling **** out of your *** as you see fit? Stop talking, I wouldn't want others to get infected by your stupidity.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostn B20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wat is the worse that wud happen if i ran my d16z6 with no thermostat. how long cud i drive without one before causing problems. wat wud happen?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could drive one FOREVER with no problems, in fact, people do it all the time in hotter climates. The only time it'd be a problem is in places like Montana and North Dakota 'n **** where it reaches -40*F, this is because your engine would take a lot to get to standard operating temperature from being closed after you start it - and running an engine hard, cold, is never a good thing.

As for you, you live in a hot climate, nothing will happen. It'll just take a bit longer to warm up - but seeing as how damn warm it is in your area anyway, it'll still warm up quite fast. Once the engine is warmed up, the thermostat opens, and doesn't have a function until the car's water temp dips below the thermostat's spring rate in which case it'll close - that'll be when you shut the car off.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostn B20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oooo. before i forget. my entire system rite now is just water. i din't want to mess up my garage floor with coolant stains before i find out wat the problem is. maybe that is why my temp gauge reads a lil higher than most others. my boy told me that water evaporates faster causing heat to rise more than coolant....can anyone verify
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The coolant system is a closed system, nothing should be evaporating at all. With that said, water will NOT dissipate heat as well as regular coolant or a 50/50 mix, so your car WILL run a bit on the warmer side.

Running water and no thermostat in it in your area is 100% okay until you find out what the problem is. Once you find out what the problem is I'd say to put in a 50/50 mix if nothing else just to dissipate heat better...but in all honesty you don't need anti-freeze nor a thermostat where you live...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BUBBLEGUM CRISIS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUBBLEGUM CRISIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cold start is going to be fun especially in winter because you have a constant flow of water</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm that must be why my cold start is sooo rough... i have to rev it a bit then let it warm up...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can i flush water thru the engine????
Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostn B20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can i flush water thru the engine????</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not smart to run pure water. Coolant contains additives that protect the metal and help with the seals in the water pump. Just run coolant, and keep your damn thermostat where it is at. When you get a engineering degree, then you can do whatever you want
Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah. i plan on putting everything back. if it came from the dealership with it. who the hell am i to mess with it. this is just until i can drive to autozone to get the necesary stuff. because i do not have another car, and no coolant or an xtra thermostat laying around. i jus wanted to kno if by flushing my system u guys meant jus the hoses and rad, or the entire engine????
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you high?

The thermostat doesn't close once the engine has reached standard operating temperature. It has nothing to do with your gas mileage. Nor does it the cat, nor does it your engine's performance unless you're flooring it right after starting it without giving it a chance to warm up - in which case you have bigger things to worry about. Do you actually know what the thermostat does on the car, or are you just pulling **** out of your *** as you see fit? Stop talking, I wouldn't want others to get infected by your stupidity.

You could drive one FOREVER with no problems, in fact, people do it all the time in hotter climates. The only time it'd be a problem is in places like Montana and North Dakota 'n **** where it reaches -40*F, this is because your engine would take a lot to get to standard operating temperature from being closed after you start it - and running an engine hard, cold, is never a good thing.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you sir are an idiot. it is possible to overcool your engine by not running a thermostat. now his climate might keep it from overcooling. MIGHT. the main problem is your car not getting up to operating temperature. now you should know that when you first start up your car after its been sitting for a while, your ect thinks its cold out so it puts the car in cold-start mode. regardless of temperature. cold air is denser so your car assumes the air entering is a bit denser than normal and it adds more fuel to compensate. so if your not running a thermostat your engine coolant temp sensor will sense that the car is still cold and will keep it in cold-startup mode. which keeps it running rich, which if i remember basic engine performance correctly means LOWER GAS MILEAGE. on the mechanical side, it can prevent your car from reaching optimum temperature. so lets see, do you start up your car and immediately peg the **** out of the tach? i don't think so. so if your car was still cold after an hour drive to the track, would you peg the **** out of it then? again i don't think so.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ctown is right. its there for a reason anyway
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not arguing that . i beleive in it 100%. i plan to put everything back. my ???? is can i runa hose thru my hose and into the block to flush it out???
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure. im not sure on the proper direction though as in with flushing it with the flow or against it. honda is pretty sticky about flushing anything though. they always recommend not to
Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 PM

What i would do is remove the radiator hoses and stick the hosepipe through the top inlet, and let the water just flow through, its not high pressure so im sure it will be ok, and while you are at it you might as well send the radiator in for cleaning "just incase its blocked"
[QUOTE=Syndacate]...but in all honesty you don't need anti-freeze nor a thermostat where you live...[QUOTE]

Anti-freeze is paramount, not only does it help cool the motor but it also inhibits rust, not just in the motor its self but all your water jackets as well
Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Default Re: (BUBBLEGUM CRISIS)

[QUOTE=BUBBLEGUM CRISIS]What i would do is remove the radiator hoses and stick the hosepipe through the top inlet, and let the water just flow through, its not high pressure so im sure it will be ok, and while you are at it you might as well send the radiator in for cleaning "just incase its blocked"
[QUOTE=Syndacate]...but in all honesty you don't need anti-freeze nor a thermostat where you live...<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Anti-freeze is paramount, not only does it help cool the motor but it also inhibits rust, not just in the motor its self but all your water jackets as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. unplug your lower radiator hose, stick a water hose in the radiator, flush out the system, let the water drain out, mix coolant and water and add it. if the problem still exists you might want to break out the old dvom and check the resistances for your gauge or check your engine coolant temp sensor.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: no thermostat (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Are you high?

The thermostat doesn't close once the engine has reached standard operating temperature. It has nothing to do with your gas mileage. Nor does it the cat, nor does it your engine's performance unless you're flooring it right after starting it without giving it a chance to warm up - in which case you have bigger things to worry about. Do you actually know what the thermostat does on the car, or are you just pulling **** out of your *** as you see fit? Stop talking, I wouldn't want others to get infected by your stupidity.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Syndacate, I will extend what Ctown2Ctown has already so eloquently said. The level of your arrogant ignorance is only surpassed by your monumental insignificance. I am left to assume that, in some twisted way, your pitiful existence was temporarily improved by this blathering tirade. Please do the world a favor and get a life.

Quick Reply: no thermostat