Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it?

heres the deal, i sold my prelude and bought a 93 LS swapped del sol, was a single cam turbo before, but it was broken into.....they tried to open the trunk and broke the trunk lock.....it has no lock, in place, just a hole....

how can i get this trunk to open?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (dek1mfk)

ur finger.. If they peeled the lock there should be a rod in there that connected to your lock cylinder. Stick ur finger in and fish around for it. If not youll have to get a hanger and bend it and try to jimmy it open. Once you do replace it for your benefit.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (smartass)

last time i went to a junkyard and i had to get in the trunk, they sectioned the trunk with a circular saw

Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (smartass)

jea, no lock cylinder, so im gonna have to get a hanger and jimmy it open?, hopefully, itll open up easily...lol
Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 PM

go to honda with your vin number and proof you own it and get a key
Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (gezzuzz)

no cylinder lock=no key
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM

bump! anybody tried to "jimmy it open" before? is it hard?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

grab a hammer!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only chance you have is if the lock rod is still hanging and to get lucky and get ahold of it. Otherwise, you can do the least amount of damage by braking out the passenger taillight and reach in from there to get to the latch.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (Cvic90)

so i break the passenger tail light, i can open the trunk? is it fairly easy to get to the latch from the passenger tail light?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (JJSpecTuning)

LoL this is a good thread. We're probably helping him boost someones car. OH well **** happens.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even if you break the glass in the tail lights, you still need to get through actual lens and all. and no, you still will not be able to get it. you need to find the bar that connects the cylinder to the latch. and pull that and voila, you got it, then after that, go to the junkyard and pull a interior trunk release and install it. (thats what i did in mine, i took my remote release from my 97 and attached it to my latch on my 93
Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (bart2546)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJSpecTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ask a thief to help you</TD></TR></TABLE>

FTW ...

Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (robble36)

isn't there a trunk release lever inside the car?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a few pple from NJ that can probably help you .
Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL Above or how about the guys in CA and here in Prince Georges county.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:51 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (gezzuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezzuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to honda with your vin number and proof you own it and get a key</TD></TR></TABLE>
The lock cylinder being broken might hang that up.

Oh, and it's VIN (vehicle identification number, not vehicle identification number number).
Old 01-12-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (NOFX)

Still trying to steal the guys christmas presents. So you broke the lock and now your both **** out of luck. lol. I would say finsih of the car and break the passenger tail light like someone else has suggested and open that sucka up. Than you can buy some really gay altezzas that has been played out since the barney song in th 91'.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: No key lock on del sol trunk...how can i open it? (turboparts)

LOL....some funny posts up here.....i did it the old fashion way, stuck a crowbar in there and lifted the sucker up until i could fit my hand inside the trunk....i opened the trunk and found all of the interior pieces i was missin and bought on honda-tech inside the trunk!...lol....oh well, i more importantly wanted to see what was in the trunk....who knows maybe a kilo of cocaine, a dead person, pam anderson's real ****, adam sandlers sense of humor....i was just curious

BTW....im lookin for a new trunk lid, since mine looks like it has a horrible case of acne
Old 01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dek1mfk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL....some funny posts up here.....i did it the old fashion way, stuck a crowbar in there and lifted the sucker up until i could fit my hand inside the trunk....i opened the trunk and found all of the interior pieces i was missin and bought on honda-tech inside the trunk!...lol....oh well, i more importantly wanted to see what was in the trunk....who knows maybe a kilo of cocaine, a dead person, pam anderson's real ****, adam sandlers sense of humor....i was just curious

BTW....im lookin for a new trunk lid, since mine looks like it has a horrible case of acne</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL. In the "want to buy" forum you'll get better hits . Also might wanna check out the for sale forum and see what's in there. Though I'm sure you know this already.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dek1mfk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL....some funny posts up here.....i did it the old fashion way, stuck a crowbar in there and lifted the sucker up until i could fit my hand inside the trunk....i opened the trunk and found all of the interior pieces i was missin and bought on honda-tech inside the trunk!...lol....oh well, i more importantly wanted to see what was in the trunk....who knows maybe a kilo of cocaine, a dead person, pam anderson's real ****, adam sandlers sense of humor....i was just curious

BTW....im lookin for a new trunk lid, since mine looks like it has a horrible case of acne</TD></TR></TABLE>
It might have been easier to answer had I known you were okay with damaging the trunk and/or car.

Btw, Pam Anderson's real **** are on her chest.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one of our local guys had a issue like this.

http://forums.azsols.com/index....html

Ok so here goes…
As some of you know I have not had access to my trunk for some time. The key would turn ok, but the latch would not release. I had it looked at by a local Honda shop and they were a bit befuddled by the whole issue. After a meeting of all the minds who work there the consensus was to have a body shop take off the bumper and to drill up to release the latch. My quote for the job was $200 to start and they could not guarantee that they could do it for that price. I did not feel like getting it fixed there.
So it stayed closed with the worry of getting a flat tire looming ever nearer, as well as the whole top issue. I was at least lucky to have it break on a rainy day, so the top was on the car. How long could I hold out I wonder? It was not until I met you all at the last event when I was able to talk to a few very helpful folks and look into a couple of opened trunks to see that I could possibly do it on my own.
So over the weekend I’d had it with it all and figured that not trying was worse by far then screwing something up. Enough with the story, in case it happens to anyone else I took some pictures and will do a quick write up on what I did. I would like to say that how I did it may not have been the best way and I did not look at taking a drill to my car lightly, but by skill or just plain luck it worked for me. Also after it was all over with I thought that someone somewhere on-line would have already wrote about this problem, feel free to post a link to a better idea. Stupid *** cheap $2.17 plastic part has had to break on other people’s Sols. One more thing I am not a mechanic (on cars anyway) and I have no shop manual as of now, so if my wording is off drop me an IM or email for a correction.

With a 21/64th inch drill bit and the license plate removed I drilled a hole that was way too low to do anything but tell me that after the bodywork there is the steel of the trunk itself I drilled through a half an inch or so later (1). Because of the trunk steel being a bit away from the bodywork feeling around with a screwdriver did not yield any results. My second hole had the same results with just a screwdriver (2), so I somewhat straightened up a good sized paper clip and made a small hook on the end and felt around for anything that felt like a latch or rod. Higher and to the right felt like there was a something. By this time I was figuring that by the end of the night there would be nothing but holes hidden behind my plate. Number (3) with a screwdriver it indeed felt like there was something spring loaded and pop, it was open with almost no effort.
Drawing a line between the license plate holes, 1 7/8th of an inch from the passenger side hole and 9/16th under the line is where to drill.

Once it was open I had to move some of the carpeting to get to the latch, the hardest part was dealing with those four caps on that plastic that covers the latch and holds the carpet. Just pry them up, not too damaged and they fit back on just fine. The rod that connects the lock to the latch was off at the latch end. That was the problem.

What remained of the $2.17 part was still attached to the arm under the latch. That little arm is what hole 3 was able to move. Here is a bad picture of that arm as well as the bullet holes.

With a quick trip to the dealership for the part, the rod was back on the arm and re-assembly began. Metal covers from Ace and the holes are filled nice and tidy. If the holes were just a bit bigger the Honda caps that are behind the plate would fit.

Hope this helps someone someday.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know a few pple from NJ that can probably help you .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, here goes a shot from someone from NJ...

Go through the back seat "area". I know its a 2 seater, but is there any way you can access the trunk through the interior? I havent been in a Del Sol in a while.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, here goes a shot from someone from NJ...

Go through the back seat "area". I know its a 2 seater, but is there any way you can access the trunk through the interior? I havent been in a Del Sol in a while. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe, yeah, ofcourse there is, aslong as you have a torch or a plasma cutter and dont mind cutting through the glass and all the window components and dont mind completely messing up the "firewall" there. and then when your in, just have the kind of cut the carpet because you cant remove it with the trunk closed, and then look for the latch
Old 01-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: (acidburn2k2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acidburn2k2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hehe, yeah, ofcourse there is, aslong as you have a torch or a plasma cutter and dont mind cutting through the glass and all the window components and dont mind completely messing up the "firewall" there. and then when your in, just have the kind of cut the carpet because you cant remove it with the trunk closed, and then look for the latch </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome then! Do that....and let us know when you got the trunk open.