Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbies new project now won't start..what did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbies new project now won't start..what did I do?

Guys, just bought a 94 1.5 sedan, and towed it home. Story is the fellow drove the car for two days AFTER the oil light came on. I was told the bottom end was shot. At pick up time, he fired up the car and drove it onto the trailer. At home I drove it onto the lift. When looking at the manual , I see the oil pump is the gearotor type ; as I understand it, these rarly fail unless the crank key fails. Thinking the pickup is either clogged or damaged , I pull the pan. It had the dirtiest, nastiest, oil I have ever seen. Removed and cleaned the pick tube best I could but it was not clogged. Found two rods with bad bearings and replaced the bearing. Removed the oil pressure switch and clean it, and reinstalled. It did not seem clogged or damaged. Put it all back together with fresh oil, and spun the motor over with the plugs out. I spun it long enough that the oil light should have gone out IF the oil pump was pumping. It did not go out. The book said to pack a new pump with petroluem jelly to prime at installation of new pump. I could see no way to prime pump from inside the bottom end. Got a manual oil pressure gauge hooked up to check for pressure and now the engine will NOT fire. Replaced plugs, wires , cap , rotor and checked coil, still, no fire to the plugs.....what may I have done that would cause the motor not to fire. Would cranking over the motor have caused something . Fuel pump is working as plugs are wet from prolong cranking. I am looking for another motor to install, but would like to be able to move the car around the yard till that time comes........any opinions please.......j
Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Newbies new project now won't start..what did I do?

Got the car to crank and run by replacing the distributer from another 1.5. Seems all that cranking over either cause the ignition module and/or the coil to crap out. Module is 99 bucks and coil lists for 70 bucks. Oil pressure goes to 65 psi on start up and begins to drop to less than 12 psi. Shut her off for a minute , start it up again and pressure goes back to 65 and then falls. I am assuming the bearing clearances are too much, allowing the pressure to drop rather quickly. Thought about going to a 20-50 weight oil and see what happines. Looks like find a another motor time.......