Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New owner previously modded EM1 trying to figure out suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner previously modded EM1 trying to figure out suspension

Trying to figure out a few things suspension wise on my car, all I know is its way low. It has aftermarket rear lower control arms, I think Skunk2s, I'll get pictures tomorrow with a wheel off. Struts are blue, springs are black.

Just in case you can't read the tire size they are 205/40R16s

Just reference to rocker hieght.

It needs tires and I'd like to try to get 205/45s for a little better ride since it's my daily. I already planned on rolling the fenders. Wheels are 16x7 but don't know the offset and can't find them online. If anyone knows what they are that would be great.

Spoke not pictured doesn't have any markings.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New owner previously modded EM1 trying to figure out suspension

Not that it matters now but eventually I'd like to get a set of silver Enkei RPF1s, those would be 16x7 +43. Unfortunately I don't have an extra $850 laying around after buying the car and what I need to put into it.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:28 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Offset looks like '40' in the ET marking.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Offset looks like '40' in the ET marking.
I see it now that you say that. Good eye.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:59 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tylers88
Not that it matters now but eventually I'd like to get a set of silver Enkei RPF1s, those would be 16x7 +43. Unfortunately I don't have an extra $850 laying around after buying the car and what I need to put into it.
I had a set of 15x7 +41 RPF1's on my old coupe and they fit the *****. Just need the correct ride height and tire size to pull them off. I think 16's look a bit goofy for RPF1's.

In terms of your suspension, I am assuming blue shocks are Tokico Blues and black springs might be Eibach Sportlines. Please take pictures of the suspension itself for further assessment.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I was able to get few pics, I was guessing on the LCAs from the pictures I was sent of them, getting under it today the have Eiii USA engraved into the coating so that solves that. For whatever reason I thought the springs were black(had some black Springs in the trunk I'm assuming are stocks that came off as they have factory type paint marks on them), they are actually yellow and look to be dual rate. I looked under the car when I looked at it but that was a few weeks ago and I just picked it up Friday so some details were a bit fuzzy. Looks like the front spring could be rotated a little bit to fully seat against the stop.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

The angle on that ball joint....
Old 02-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
The angle on that ball joint....
Yea, the front end is tight though. As much as I like how low it is I'm starting to think it's going to be a bitch and a half to daily. We'll see how the summer goes.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:14 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

My money is on

Neuspeed race springs.

Too low for those shocks, they're most likely blown.

Tokico shocks. Basically OEM replacement equivalent, and cannot handle the lowered springs you have.

EMUSA LCAs. Get rid of those and replace with OEM..They're garbage eBay LCAs.

*edit*

On the 4th coil from the top hat (UCA picture) there are some markings right there.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's hat I see.....

The car has Tokico blue struts, which are actually really good, better than stock.
the springs could be many different brands, but just get a new set which minimal drop. I bought some suspension techniques oils for mine good for about a 1.4" drop which is very decent for ground clearance, plus good ride quality.

The current lower arms will do for the time being, but oem are better. When the bushings fail on them, it'll be worth swapping back to stock
Old 02-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Laying on the ground arm wedged farther into a car than it has been in a long time using my phone as my eyes I was able to see what the coil said, Neuspeed, from what I could find on them it's 2.25" front drop and 2" even rear. I actually don't mind how it rides(much better than my old truck) and I really like how it looks, if it's a PITA in the winter(main concern with height) I have the stock springs to toss in for those few months. If I roll the fenders do you think 205/45s would be possible, theirs a lot more options than 205/40s plus it couldn't hurt the ride. Wheels I think we have concluded are 16x7 40 mm offset. What struts would be good for those springs. Sorry for all the questions but I'm a Chevy truck/Jeep guy and this is my first modded Honda and actually my first lowered anything so it's all a little foreign, pun intended.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

You'll need something along the lines of Koni Sport (yellows) shocks.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the stock springs and while I like the look of it being that low I hate that I literally pulled half of the front bumper off leaving my parents driveway today, so it's going back up until I can afford coilovers. My question, will the rear lower control arms work at stock hieght?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They should, they should be OEM size, if not OEM quality. Your ride height looks pretty close to mine, and I can attest to the fact that sometimes it's a little stressful to drive. Dat lowlyfe, doe... I have 16x8 +25 wheels with 195/40/16 S.Drives and I'm going to try stuffing 195/50/16 R888's in there at some point, for multiple reasons: 1. They are a much better tire, tread life notwithstanding. 2. The overall tire diameter will make my B16 trans have effective gearing very similar to a GSR. And 3. I'll have to raise my car up a little and it won't be so stressful to drive.

Yes, I could raise it up right now, but then I'd have a gap between the tires and the fender and I just don't like that. FWIW, I have Ground Control coilovers and Koni Yellow struts, I really like them but I don't have a lot of experience with other suspensions so I'm not sure what that's worth.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Dat lowlyfe, doe...
Exactly, I think of how nice it would be to not worry when I pull into placesome but then I see a couple of the stock hieght Civics in town and think damn mine looks way better even if it's an unpractical hieght for a daily. I think I'm going to roll the fenders, cram some 205/45s on it, get it aligned and see if I can tuck the stuff up higher, resonator being the first because that bastard drags everything like that's it's job. I did fix the bumper and noticed all of the clips from the bottom are gone so hopefully getting those in will help a ton as well.